The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2011, 09:46 PM   #1
dunerjeff

Mag rifle primers in automatic

I am reloading a bunch of 30-06 loads, probably using Varget, and have a couple hundred Winchester Magnum large rifle primers that I no longer load the caliber that needed them.I know I can use them by reducing the charge by roughly 1 grain but I don't know about using them in a B.A.R. It probably will be used in cold weather (down to 0F.) thats my concern.Anybody have firsthand knowledge if the firing pin would be strong enough to set mag primers off in the cold? Bolt guns yes, autos ????
Old June 19, 2011, 11:32 PM   #2
mehavey

1) Your problem is not the primer (which you won't have any trouble with); it is the powder that is the limiting factor in (very) cold weather .

2) Unless you are near the top end of the load, my experience is that Mag primers do not significantly affect pressure margins at all. (Leave the load alone, especially if/when moving into cold weather)

3) Stay away from ball powders in cold weather. Once you hit the 30's (F), ball ignition/burning characteristics degrade significantly. Varget is supposed to be less temp sensitive, but as Patrick Swaze said, "Opinons vary...."

Last edited by mehavey; June 19, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old June 20, 2011, 12:23 AM   #3
dunerjeff

I have used Varget in my .280's and 25-06's for lots of years for around here (Wisconsin) and in the mountains in Wyoming and have never had or noticed any difference in bullet impact point at different temps. I've sighted in for Wyoming in September (50-60F) and shot muleys at 15F, usually long ranges, and have hit where it's supposed to.Same with later in november here at home. Also not competition guns so a little diff would'nt be noticed,at least not enough to concern me for deer.