The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 7, 2013, 06:08 AM   #51
dahermit

Quote:
Here are two video examples of what n5lyc is talking about, albeit not on horses
Nor on a motorcycle, four-wheeler, nor any injury. Just inexperienced shooters with an extreme example of excessive power in a handgun novices could not control. Nevertheless there is some slight advantage to having a .500 S&W in a single-action instead of a double action...safer for the roof of a range and any passing sea gull. On the other hand, look how many people have been shot in the leg/foot with a single-action by cocking it when drawing. If you say that is fault of practice not of design, then it would be just as valid an argument to say that about the "double-taps" in the videos.
Or, you could rationalize in the instances of double-tap .500 S&W, just don't buy one.

Last edited by dahermit; September 7, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old September 10, 2013, 02:39 PM   #52
sheepman

Because I like them. Better than a double action, probably not but for me they are.
Old September 10, 2013, 07:42 PM   #53
PawPaw

Quote:
Why a single action
Because thumb-cocking the hammer on that smoke-wagon is so much fun.

Doesn't that look like fun?

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 10, 2013, 07:51 PM   #54
Bullcamp82834

Because my daddy and granddaddy used single actions and that's what I learned on.

Why a single action for me? No other reason than stated above. I love DAs too but almost always go to a SA for field carry.
Old September 11, 2013, 01:44 AM   #55
JD0x0

Why?
Because they're badass that's why...
http://youtu.be/3NE6btH_9GY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgav7mNzIYo
Old September 11, 2013, 06:39 AM   #56
BoogieMan

I own a 357 S&W Talo and a 460XVR. I dont own any other revolvers. My experience with SA is a old Colt in 45 and a mid 70s SBH. I always ask the question why SA to people who shoot them. I am told that the SA is easier to handle the heavy recoil. I guess I never learned the trick to managing SA recoil. For me I shoot my DA as SA 99.9% of the time. IMO the recoil is much more manageable in the DA grip. I wouldnt knock anybodies choice, even if it was a Rhino. If it wasnt such a pia to get a pistol in NJ I might buy a SA just to practice and see what all the rage is. For now I will keep tapping 10 rings with my clunky SA's.
BTW- the trigger in both of my S&W is excellent out of the box. Crisp and light
I should add that most of my semi autos are SA, but thats a horse of a different breed.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old September 12, 2013, 01:30 AM   #57
ZVP

I've always had a SA of some caliber allmy life. They just feel natureal to me! I only find the reloading frustrating bit I don't plan on extended shot count gunfights.
My muscles automaticlly cycle the SA9 especaally carrying only 5 shots) I do it automaticlly.
Presentlly I own a .357 Vaquero and shoot it pretty well
I just bought a Model 36 and a Model 10 to update myself and moreso to lern DA shooting
reloads are pretty easy from a carry strip. You can even do 2 at a time.
The main thing is consistant trigger finger placement. I keep putting my finger where it pulls the groups apart ather than being consistant. My triggers are ribbed and hurt after a long session. I have considered getting them grund smootth to help. What do you guys think? Another thing, without even thinking, I was attractedd to fixed sight frames just like my old SA's I like the advantage of adjustable sights on my long barreled SIngle Six! It gives room to zero the loads
I have a LOT to learn about D/A shooting and maybe someday I will get as good at it as I am ith my SA's All ittakes is pratice, pretice!
BPDave
Old September 12, 2013, 11:52 PM   #58
Bezoar

Its also far far cheaper to do customizing on a single action.

Just see what it would cost to get that nice sw 45 long colt da/sa revolver a second cylinder in 45 acp. YOu could buy a new saa from a lot of places for what it would cost.
Old September 13, 2013, 07:43 PM   #59
AZ-Quailhunter

I have owned SA revolvers for 50 years....always loved them....and have 3 of them now. The gun is usually stronger, able to shoot larger calibers and for hunting and or plinking, you just don't need DA speed. I feel perfectly armed with my SA while hiking, camping or leaving it handy for HD.
Old September 13, 2013, 09:01 PM   #60
Super Sneaky Steve

If I want to hunt with .45 Colt I don't have many options with DA revolvers, but a Blackhawk is affordable and strong enough for my hottest homebrews.