The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 30, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Greguw

California Gun Laws

Hey Guys , whats the deal with California with gun laws with assault wepons .
I had a guy place a bid and won the auction on gun broker for a mac10 in 9mm with a 30round mag .
I posted no shipping to california ... what is assault weapons laws for that state ?

Thanks
Old March 30, 2009, 02:16 PM   #2
Adrian

He definitely can't receive the magazine. If he already owns a 30-round MAC-10 magazine, you can disassemble the magazine, remove one part (probably the baseplate or the follower), and sell it to him as a "rebuild kit", but some people are (understandably) skittish about that.

The RPB Industries Inc. or SWD Inc. MAC-10s and MAC-11s are explicitly listed as assault weapons (CA Penal Code 12276(a)(10)), and it is very bad juju to ship those into the state, except under some extremely limited circumstances. There is a not-inconsequential amount of paperwork involved in those, and a responsible buyer would probably have let you know about all of that beforehand.

In either case, even if it is not an RPB or SWD gun, if it is a rifle (has a shoulder stock), it may still fall under 12276.1(a)(3), "under 30 inches collapsed and capable of being fired in the shortest configuration". I'm not familiar with the gun in question, so I couldn't say. A fixed stock might not run into that problem.

In short, I am 99 and 44/100% sure that you should refuse to complete the transaction.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice. It is worth exactly what you paid for it. Liability limited to 2ยข, $0.02 USD, by mail, or one free sandwich if you should visit the Bay Area.
Matt.25:40
Old March 30, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Greguw

It's a Ingram non open bolt ... It really was up to my FFL , I listed that on my ad no shipping to NJ , NY or Ca ... I was just on gun broker and the gun has 120 buys to his name and he has bought uzi's and other assault type weapons in the past month .
I did email the the guy and waiting for a reponce to him buying the gun when I clearly stated no shipping to his state .

Thanks
Old March 30, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Adrian

Huh, that's interesting. I think the only Ingram MAC-type gun on the list is the MAC-11 (and then only as a pistol).

You can take a look at some useful documentation from CalGuns or the Attorny General if you'd like.

If everything is on the up-and-up, your buyer might be active-duty military, stationed in California, a prop company, or just one of the very lucky few with a collector's license.

Stay safe!
Old March 30, 2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Greguw

You are correct ... I am waiting to hear back from him , I did find and few other ingram purchases that he has made ... Might be a loop hole that california missed with the ingram .

Thanks for all the info .
Old March 30, 2009, 03:22 PM   #6
maestro pistolero

Can my buddy in CA buy a used XD or M&P online,

provided, of course, that that magazines are no more than ten rounds and that he uses a local FFL?
Old March 30, 2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Adrian

maestro pistolero, yes... with caveats.

1 - The specific XD or M&P model must be on this list. There are exceptions for large-ish single-action revolvers, (I believe) single-shots, and C&R guns, but the XD and M&P doesn't fall under any of those.

2 - The sending FFL (I don't believe regular people can do this) must fill out a little paperwork with the California DOJ and get permission to send the gun into California. It's a little bit obnoxious. There are a number of middle-man FFLs who will do the paperwork if the sending one doesn't want to, but that costs another $70+. Freakshow Manufacturing does some, but he's severely backlogged - I have a rifle waiting for six weeks and counting in his shop right now - so... there you go.

Last edited by Adrian; March 30, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Ninja'd for grammar.
Old March 30, 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
maestro pistolero

Thanks, i saw this on that link:

Quote:
Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.
This would be a private party transfer. Someone on a gun blog in, say, georgia, has what my friend is interested in purchasing. It has only ten round magazines. It may or may not be on the list, but it definitely is not a assault weapon. Legal?
Old March 30, 2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Yellowfin

Just needs to not have a threaded barrel and the magazine must be disassembled. For more info on California firearms law visit www.calguns.net.
Old March 30, 2009, 05:20 PM   #10
maestro pistolero

I feel I may be hi-jacking this thread, I'll start a new one for this question.
Old March 30, 2009, 06:27 PM   #11
SteveRick

Here is why California is anti-gun and why we need help to oust these sick liberals, damn dangerous people. See Here:

http://www.alphadogweb.com/firearms/Diane_Feinstein.htm