The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 6, 2014, 01:51 AM   #26
hemiram

I have to kind of chuckle when I read posts about carrying "heavy" guns. I carried a 6"VH Dan Wesson, or a 6+1/2" S&W 28, or a Beretta 92, plus cuffs, plus ammo, on a super heavy duty belt, 5 days a week for about 4 years and I never, ever thought about them being too heavy. One tip if you do, get a swivel holster, especially if you carry a 6" gun.
Old April 6, 2014, 02:24 AM   #27
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I have carried 6" revolvers off and on for many years.

On the belt, cross draw holster:
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploa...santis-da6.jpg
http://www.guns.com/review/2013/04/0...angle-holster/

On the chest:
http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

By far the diamondd Guides Choice holster for comfort and staying out of the way for everything else but still very accessible. (And quite a bit of adjustability where you want the holster to be on your torso.)

Most folks seem to prefer the 4" for carry. However, the 6" will give a better sight radius and increased velocity; if you are shooting longer distances, this is a bonus!

I would suggest that you find somewhere/someone who will let you try out a few different barrel lengths; if possible including some holster options. (The cost of these types of holsters being between $100 - $200 might make one want to be sure of their barrel length and holster choice before hand; or you can do it like I did and buy multiple revolvers/barrel lengths and multiple holsters only to end up really liking one set up in the long run and having a holster drawer/box full up!)

Last note: closed bottom belt holsters for 6" barrels are a really good idea; nothing like sitting down/falling in the dirt/mud and finding your barrel filled full of dirt/mud!
YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old April 6, 2014, 04:57 AM   #28
SteelChickenShooter

I've decided a 6 is too much for carry as well as a 5.
4 might be ok, but lately a 4 has been biting into my side when seated in the truck on a belt holster. So my present thinking is that a 3 inch would be better.
Old April 6, 2014, 08:18 AM   #29
wogpotter

Quote:
If it's a standard strong side holster the barrel will hit any chair you sit down on.
I'm not exactly sure what you're calling "standard" but the Bianchi 5B HL with the high riding position of the belt loops & the cant doesn't hit chairs for me. I think its a combination of the two features that makes it work so well.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 6, 2014, 04:57 PM   #30

Five days a week for four years is a walk in the park. As a LEO, you were still wet behind the ears.

You probably didn't know any better.
Old April 7, 2014, 11:53 PM   #31
DannyB1954

For me 6" is a bit much to be pulling out of a holster in a hurry. Especially if you wear it high. 4" or less is the way that I would go.
Old April 9, 2014, 08:07 AM   #32
buck460XVR

Quote:
Also another issue is as soon as you enter a vehicle that gun goes from OC to CC so you must remove it from your holster and place it in a case if you don't have a permit. but removing it from the holster could be considered 'brandishing'
I beg to differ. In Wisconsin, entering a vehicle does not change the status of carrying a handgun. If order for a holster to be legal for "open carry" in Wisconsin, some part of the gun must be exposed at all times. Thus any holster legal to wear ouside a vehicle is legal to wear inside the vehicle. In Wisconsin, a handgun can be loaded and uncased, inside a vehicle, as long as it's not concealed, by anyone legal to possess a handgun.
Old April 10, 2014, 01:35 AM   #33
bamaranger

me thinks

I've always found a 6 inch revolver a tad to long for strong side belt carry, in and out of vehicles, etc. And the grip and frame associated with same, make for a pretty bulky handgun as well. Back in the day, the solution for LE and 6" revolvers, strong side carry, was the drop/swivel holster, and that made for a pretty clunky belt/holster rig.

What I have discovered I like with my long barreled Single -6 is a cross draw holster. The barrel is angled sufficiently to allow ease for sitting and stepping in and out, on and off, conveyances. The single-6's are slim enough as .22's to not be so bulky either.