The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 29, 2014, 07:45 AM   #1
CajunBass

A Pair of Ponies.

Like most of us I suppose, I can't afford the current prices for Pythons and Diamondbacks. Never could really, even when you could walk in and buy a NIB example.

But I will pick up one of the less desired Colts when they show up.

Got this one, a MK III, Official Police, 38 Special, made in 1975 IIRC, a couple of months ago. Sort of a "red-headed stepchild" the MK III's are not as well though of as the other Colts it seems. This one is so nice, I'm not sure it's ever been fired.

And this showed up at the ranch yesterday. Made in 1960, it's a Police Positive Special, in 38 special.

Unfortunately I haven't had an opportunity to shoot either one of them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 29, 2014, 08:53 AM   #2
highpower3006

I always wondered why there was no love amongst Colt collectors for the MIII's. From what I understand, they are a simplified action that on paper should be a bit more robust than the earlier Colt I frame double action revolvers.

I would like to buy more Colts, but around here everyone thinks that any gun with a Colt roll mark is worth a small fortune. I did manage to pick up this Trooper a few months ago for a decent price, but nothing has turned up since.

Old July 29, 2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I picked this one up at a gun show a couple of years ago for less than $400. It's a 6" Official Police in .38 Special.

It was my first Colt since I got rid of my Detective Special (stupid!) back in the mid 1990s.

Since then I've added two others, a .32-20 Police Positive Special and a .32 Long Police Positive.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 29, 2014, 02:21 PM   #4
SaxonPig

I lament that Colt has abandoned the DA revolver market.

Paid $175 for the revolver and $185 for the stocks.

On my way to a gun show one Saturday in 1999 I stopped at a gun shop along the way and paid $325 for this Diamondback. Felt the price was high but condition was near perfect, it was identical to one stolen in 1986, and I wanted it.

Went on down to the show and bagged a twin in 38 Special for $185. A little happier with he price on that one.
Old July 29, 2014, 11:41 PM   #5
Kev

Can't beat just over 500 for the pair though Saxon!
Old July 30, 2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Hunter0924

I love those Colt revolvers.
Beautiful handguns you all have, makes me a bit jealous.