The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2015, 03:20 PM   #26
AKexpat

I have always liked using moly (molybdenum disulphide) grease on my stainless 1911 rails, such as

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792...e-10cc-syringe

but it's not a good choice for carry because it easily stains clothing.

For HD nothing is better, IMO.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old April 29, 2015, 05:48 PM   #27
bricz75

Quote:
I live in Virginia, to me it's hot and quite humid in the summers. I realize it's not Florida or Texas though. Perhaps the story is different elsewhere. I've had no problem with rust at all using Rem Oil.
Quote:
Years ago, I used to spray rem oil on my firearms before storing them away. That is until I noticed that some of my tools in the path of the spray developing rust. Anything in the overspray area had surface rust and anything outside that area was pristine.
Perhaps the rust problems came about using the original Rem Oil and the gentleman with no rust problems was using the newer Rem Oil with "VCI" technology.

Quote:
In other applications I've used RemOil and the Teflon, though invisible, provided lube for many many months. Long after the "oil" seemed to have evaporated and disappeared.
Are you sure this isn't a sort of placebo effect?
Old April 29, 2015, 07:05 PM   #28
mes228

RemOil

The "other application" of RemOil is a rather silly one. I don't mind if you laugh. So I'll tell you what it was. I have aluminum shower curtain rods in our home. The metal hooks that slide on the aluminum rod were a pain. Always hanging up. digging in, very hard to impossible to slide etc. In frustration I lubed them with RemOil.

The result was simply amazing. They glide effortlessly for many months. Long after any oil is visible. It may have been a stretch to apply this simple example to a firearm. But I did. And now I love the stuff (along with the Sentry Grease).

As an aside, I have suggested to a couple of friends with aluminum frame 19ll's that had a problem with galling. That they smooth the emerging burr and try RemOil. It seemed to work for them too. Perhaps the Sentry Hi-Slip grease would have worked as well. Perhaps anything would have. This is unscientific and just a simple opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:15 AM   #29
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Any oil will do for the most part I suspect, if applied often enough.
That may be the problem also. I have one rifle I haven't used or cleaned for six years. If I touch it for any reason I wipe it down with RIG grease, but otherwise nothing. Still no rust. Remoil appears to be entirely gone in a couple months. I don't shoot any long guns over the winter. I don't want a product that can't hold over until spring.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:38 AM   #30
campbed

Another vote for Lubriplate SFL line of grease (I like/use SFL-1). Food machinery grade (non-toxic). $20 for 14 oz can has lasted me a few years so far... google it several places in the interwebs have it for less than $20.

As to their oils (FMO-350-AW $20 for 12 oz), I have that too, but although it is also food machinery grade and non-toxic, it migrates too much for my taste. I use MPro-7 LPX oil now, and it stays wet and stays put like a champ.

My health is worth more than the color of the rails on one of my guns. YMMV.

Good luck.

Last edited by campbed; May 1, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old May 2, 2015, 01:36 AM   #31
johnwilliamson062

Looking it up on several retailers and the SFL line of grease has the most consistently positive reviews of any product I have ever searched. Midway USA has 16(100%) 5 star reviews for instance.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:02 AM   #32
Mike38

Quote:
Motor oil...is full of chemicals that are poisonous and/or carcinogenic…
I have always been with the understanding that only used motor oil was carcinogenic? Maybe I’m wrong?

As for the chemicals, I don’t know. All oil, be it gun oil, engine oil, electric motor oil, all of them contain chemicals that would scare us all if we knew what was in them.

I use Mobile One Synthetic 5w20 by the way. As mentioned above, less than $10 for a quart gives you a 10 year supply for use on guns.
Old May 2, 2015, 02:29 PM   #33
Boncrayon

Trying Rem Oil currently; Which grease or oil with it?

Try some white lithium grease once or twice. Comes in a tube. But don't heavy-up oil to think it makes the finely manufacturing work better. Too much of anything is "too much" and too little of anything is "too little. Service your firearm regularly. An older 1911 is made for combat and is a little looser than the newer makes. Clean, oil as needed and don't use heavy grease. Enjoy the shoot!
Old May 3, 2015, 09:35 AM   #34
Jellicle

I just buy a Sig P238 every couple of years to get that little tube of rail grease that comes with them.
Old May 3, 2015, 03:43 PM   #35
chrisintexas

on polymer striker fired pistols, anyone using just ballistol or breakfree clp for everything - meaning cleaning lubrication preservative
Old May 3, 2015, 05:02 PM   #36
peggysue

Oil is Oil is Oil
Old May 3, 2015, 08:43 PM   #37
Candor

For your reading pleasure. An extensive review of various popular oils including Rem Oil.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667