The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 29, 2015, 04:59 AM   #51
hartcreek

The OP screwed up by not testing function at the shop and blames the shop for his mistake. Others here tell the OP how to fix his problem and the OP obviously lacks the skill to do that. If it was me I would have disassembled it put it together right, lubed it and been shooting it instead of whining about it but then I function test everythint that I am interested in purchasing.
Old April 29, 2015, 05:24 AM   #52
TxWheels

After reading through this entire thread, I've come to the conclusion the OP shouldn't be handling guns.
Old April 29, 2015, 07:10 AM   #53
Marty8613

The locking block was dry. Tap tap and a little lube and it would have been fine. Happened to M9s occasionally.
Old April 29, 2015, 10:45 AM   #54
Independent George

Ok, slightly off-topic, but would you consider it a rather serious design flaw if it's that easy to to reassemble a Beretta 92 in such a way that the slide locks into place like that? I mean, yes it's operator error, and yes, you should always check the action after assembly, but it seems to me like a poor design decision if it's that easy to accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
Once I got it fixed, I picked up a hammer and started beating hard on a piece of scrap metal.

At the first blow he jumped and got this look of shock on his face.

After a couple more licks with the hammer, I turned on a fairly loud bench grinder and sharpened an old hatchet

By now all the blood had drained from his face, so I went back out and gave him his pristine gun and told him what I had done.

The look of relief on his face was priceless, but this was before the days of celll phones so there were no pictures
You are an evil, evil man. I salute you.
Old April 29, 2015, 11:24 AM   #55
tipoc

Quote:
Ok, slightly off-topic, but would you consider it a rather serious design flaw if it's that easy to to reassemble a Beretta 92 in such a way that the slide locks into place like that? I mean, yes it's operator error, and yes, you should always check the action after assembly, but it seems to me like a poor design decision if it's that easy to accomplish.
If the description of the problem was accurate I might think that. But that's a big leap, I mean it's a leap to think the description was accurate. That the slide was racked only once and then froze up so hard it could not be gotten loose. He claims to not have disassembled it. Only racked the slide once for the first time once he got it home.

I'd also remind myself that the gun has worked well in the hands of a couple million people for over 30 years without repeated instances of the issue the op described.

I'd also have to remind myself that once he did take it back to the store the folks there were somehow able to get the slide loose enough that they could remove it and swap that slide for another that they pulled off another new gun...at least that's what the op said.

I could guess all day at what the actual problem was but I'm wary of the "facts" as presented, so reliable info to go on is scarce. Something went wrong, the op got upset, the store straightened out somehow.

Oh, I also welcome the op to the forum.

tipoc
Old April 29, 2015, 12:02 PM   #56
Skans

It's always the locking block! This is why I have stayed away from this style of handgun since getting rid of the Taurus I had problems with. The locking block is a weak point in these guns, and if it breaks often the "fix" is to cut the barrel in half to unlock the action. Yes, I know that Beretta beefed up their locking blocks a few years ago. And, maybe this has solved that problem. I still don't like the design. Call me a "hater", if you must.
Old April 30, 2015, 06:45 PM   #57
Homerboy

I'm not buying any of this. Never seen a gun salesman not check a gun before transferring to buyer.
Old April 30, 2015, 07:56 PM   #58
Blindstitch

I'm not defending anyone on this but I bought a Ruger sr22 yesterday and throughout the whole process of looking it over and even buying it new the gun shop wouldn't take the huge trigger lock off. It wasn't till I got home that I even got to put my finger on the trigger.

Yes I fondled one at another store but they had the better price. I'm pretty sure I racked the slide. Oh yeah they did take the huge trigger lock off before I left the store. Of course that was only to put a smaller junky trigger lock on.

Maybe both the OP and myself should frequent more shops that let you fondle the guns more.
Old April 30, 2015, 08:30 PM   #59
Homerboy

So when he took the lock off in the store, you didn't rack the slide? Yeah, guns shops often have locks on the trigger, but once the deal is being done, the lock comes off. And the first thing I do when that happens is pull the trigger.

But that aside, a trigger lock doesn't prevent racking a slide. Just pulling a a trigger.
Old April 30, 2015, 09:13 PM   #60
Blindstitch

In my instance they never let me handle it with the trigger lock off. I told them I was going to buy it they pulled it from the case, filled out the paperwork, and then took it to the back room without me touching it again.

On pick up I was early. There's a two day waiting period in this state. They made me wait 3 days although I got instant approval. I filled out the remaining paperwork, they walked me to the register and finalized the transaction, then walked me almost outside the store before handing me my purchase.

It was the oddest thing I ever saw and I'm waiting to talk to their other gun guy to see why this guy acted this way. At all times I went in this guy was there so only he helped me.

I don't know if the OP had a similar experience but I emailed the company twice and they haven't emailed me back.
Old April 30, 2015, 09:57 PM   #61
Cheapshooter

Quote:
After reading through this entire thread, I've come to the conclusion the OP shouldn't be handling guns.
If it weren't so true, and unfortunately serious I'd say...........Well OK, I'll say it anyway!
Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who you are!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 30, 2015, 10:33 PM   #62
WVMountaineer

Some of you guys.

I read the first page of thread and saw responses that plainly stated the shop's responsibility was NOT to exchange the gun. Than denial that was ever said. It was Illegal to exchange the gun. Than get corrected for saying so. The OP was lying because the shop stepped up and made it right, depending on the manufacturer to make it right with them. Basically I read responses that alluded to the OP being irrational about his feelings. I bet if he said the pistol wasn't a Beretta, several of these response would never have happened.

I didn't see anywhere that the condescending, lecturing crowd addressed the very valid point the OP made about a TV analogy. That is the way it works unless the vendor routinely gets the shaft from the manufacturer.

BTW, please post the name and location of the gun store that allows you to chamber and fire a live round to test it before taking the gun home. I'll be waiting. A good bit of you here have suggested it was the buyers fault for not thoroughly testing the gun before leaving. Chambering live ammo and firing it is part of a thorough test. We all gamble when we buy to some extent. Imposing your criteria of what checks you are allowed to do before walking out with the gun or, the way your seller's handle the selling transaction is ludicrous. Just FYI to those that think they are being funny, The store wasn't sending anything back on their dime. Customer service emails prepaid shipping labels for the vendor to use when returning warrantied items.

OP, it wasn't the store's fault. I think they handled it perfectly. Sending it back was a rational option too. However, I totally understand your feelings as well about buying a defective product. This is a rough crowd. God Bless

Last edited by WVMountaineer; April 30, 2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Left a lot out
Old April 30, 2015, 11:02 PM   #63
TunnelRat

Quote:
Basically I read responses that alluded to the OP being irrational about his feelings. I bet if he said the pistol wasn't a Beretta, several of these response would never have happened.
I don't see anything in this thread that indicated the responses are brand specific. I wouldn't care if it was a Kel-Tec, the same logic applies.

Quote:
A good bit of you here have suggested it was the buyers fault for not thoroughly testing the gun before leaving. Chambering live ammo and firing it is part of a thorough test. We all gamble when we buy to some extent. Imposing your criteria of what checks you are allowed to do before walking out with the gun or, the way your seller's handle the selling transaction is ludicrous.
Who said anything about him needing to chamber a live round? How about just locking the slide back and making sure it will go forward again? Yes there are limitations to what can be tested in a gun store, but this is well within reason and throwing out exaggerated hypotheticals doesn't excuse the OP. You should perform a function check on any firearm purchased. That's common sense. Would you buy a brand new car without seeing that it passes an inspection?
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 30, 2015, 11:10 PM   #64
Cheapshooter

Quote:
OP, it wasn't the store's fault. I think they handled it perfectly. Sending it back was a rational reaction.
Where did anybody say the shop sent it back? That is what the OP was complaining about. That the shop was willing to send the gun back for factory service. On their dime, and their time. Something that they are not in any way required, or obliged to do. That's when he went into a tizzy labour being without the gun for two weeks if they sent it back.
Guns are not TV sets, and warrantee work is done differently.
Quote:
BTW, please post the name and location of the gun store that allows you to chamber and fire a live round to test it before taking the gun home
That is a ridiculous statement. Of course you won't find a shop where you can load a round in a new gun and fire it. Of course there are several in my area with a range where after you buy a gun you could try it out. They usually give you some free range time when you buy a gun. So, yes there are such shops, but I don't think that was what you meant.
But other shops will let you reckon the slide,in fact they rack the slide of every semi auto, or open the cylinder of revolvers, work the bolt on rifles etc. All as standard safety procedures. They do it with every gun, every time it is taken out of the case. They also do it with in box stock from the back room. They open the box, safety check the gun, then make sure the serial number matches the box, and paper work.
That detail was something else missing in the OP's story. Was that procedure done before he took the gun home, took it apart to clean it as should be done with all new guns, then reassembled it wrong, causing the slide to be locked up.
Old April 30, 2015, 11:49 PM   #65
skizzums

the ONLY thing ifind odd about this story is the fact that the buyer didn't inspect the fire arm AT ALL before walking out the door. at the very least, I will put in a mag, make sure it holds, test test the last round lock-back if it applies, take out the mag, slide a couple ties and make sure the trigger is in working order. and of course check for any cosmetic blemishes. all of this takes about 15-30 seconds, I say "thanks" and head out the door. if the store owner just grabs a new box from the back of the floor model and brings it to the counter and rings it up, I find that they rarely even touch the gun. which is fine with me, it's up to ME to inspect it before paying.

the fact that the gun-store made it right, in your opinion, speaks highly of them.....no matter how they pulled it off. big-box gun stores will not even allow you to bring the gun back inside the store.....PERIOD, and will even have the gun clerk walk you outside(ie. academy, adventure outdoors, cabela's etc.) so this store went above and beyond and you should be very appreciative of their service, and not start a thread saying how you are "LIVID and VERY ANGRY" before even going back to the store to see their response to your problem. a lot of small stores will handle the shipping back and forth to factory if it is with 14-30 days depending on their policy. I am glad your gun works, and I think you have learned a valuable lesson about inspecting a firearms(even bring snap-caps if LGS allows), and hope in the future you will give the store/seller a chance to make a problem right before ranting and fuming about something to turned out to be a minor hassle on your end.

awhile back I was taking possession of a polymer revolver which will remain un-named, the polymer had so many chatter marks in the contours, I would have just as much of taken a crap in a box and handed it to someone, plus the cylinder release didn't work. that' took about 5 seconds to figure out, handed the gun back, they brought me two more to look over and let me choose which one was satisfactory. they marked the bad one and sent it back.......that's how it's supposed to go.
Old May 1, 2015, 02:52 AM   #66
hartcreek

I bought my Star Mode B at Cabellas and Cabellas is adamant about trigger locks but not only did I work the slide before I did the paper work but I chambered a snap cap from a package that they opened from store inventory. I had brought a dummy round but was told that it was store policy not to use a dummy round even though any half wit at the Cabellas gun counter could see that it had no primer but on the video survalence they would not be able to tell the difference so I used a snap cap to check the action and when I was satisfied the employee put the snap cap back in the package and then asked me if I wanted to purchase the snap caps to which I replied I have live ammo and dummy rounds for doing a plunk test why would I need snap caps?

Purchasing a firearm from a store that will not let you test the action is akin to purchasing a car with no test drive.
Old May 1, 2015, 05:31 PM   #67
rickyrick

So what was wrong with the gun?

The beretta 92fs is easy to get apart.
Seems like a buncha drama
Old May 1, 2015, 09:01 PM   #68
WVMountaineer

Some of you guys are unable to comprehend. I never said the store sent it back. I said if they had, there is nothing wrong with that.

Nobody specified brand. But, if any gun that costs house payments plus, doesn't work right for someone on here, it inadvertently becomes their fault.

No one said chambering a round was logic. Especially ME. I did say he was getting his chops pounded by the condescending crowd that said he didn't conduct proper do diligence. Not all gun stores are the same. And, I simply pointed out that a complete check of any firearm is impossible. We all take chances. Read and learn to comprehend gentlemen.

If what was originally typed doesn't apply, don't take offense. And READ the WHOLE thread if you are confused as to whether it does or not. God Bless
Old May 1, 2015, 09:59 PM   #69
TunnelRat

Quote:
But, if any gun that costs house payments plus, doesn't work right for someone on here, it inadvertently becomes their fault.
I don't think that's true at all. For that matter if I can find a house payment for the price of a Beretta 92, $600, let me know where.

Quote:
I did say he was getting his chops pounded by the condescending crowd that said he didn't conduct proper do diligence.
Yup. Sometimes people expect common sense.

Quote:
Read and learn to comprehend gentlemen.
Right back at ya chief.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 1, 2015, 10:39 PM   #70
Venom1956

Quote:
Read and learn to comprehend gentlemen.
92 Series owners manual
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Don't take stuff apart before you understand how to put it together.

If I take apart a brand new car then put it back together and it doesnt work its hardly the dealership or manufacturers fault.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 2, 2015, 05:19 PM   #71
Sequins

I think this thread is just an example of an angry person being condescended by calm people. He was clearly fired up when he posted and he presented himself poorly, but I agree that's no reason to disregard his point.

If I brought a gun home from the store and it didn't work, I'd take it back. As I would a TV, a microprocessor, a toaster oven, or any other product. The reason I bought it from a store and paid their markup over distribution cost was for their service. In the case of a box off a shelf type product like a gun, that "service" is nothing more than a working product and perhaps a cashier telling me what aisle it's on. They had better have my back or I'll just cut out the middle man on future purchases.

As for the real meat and body of this, the crazy claims of the slide swap solution or the speculation about him disassembling it, he was just worked ip you guys, be gentle. $600 is a lot of money for many of us, myself included unfortunately.
Old May 2, 2015, 05:34 PM   #72
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequins
If I brought a gun home from the store and it didn't work, I'd take it back. As I would a TV, a microprocessor, a toaster oven, or any other product.
Before you got upset and stormed into the store, wouldn't you first make sure the TV was on the correct input setting, or the microprocessor was properly plugged in to the rest of the computer? Because that's the equivalent of what the OP's issue most likely was.

And even after we told him the gun probably wasn't defective and that it's a common issue with the 92 that he could almost certainly correct himself, he refused to listen to us. Instead, he now has a mis-matched gun with parts that weren't assembled or test-fired together in the factory.

I have a friend in IT who says the biggest problem he runs into when fixing people's computers is what he calls a "PEBKAC problem". That stands for "problem exists between keyboard and chair".

Last edited by Theohazard; May 2, 2015 at 06:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 2, 2015, 05:43 PM   #73
Uncle Malice

Quote:
If I brought a gun home from the store and it didn't work, I'd take it back. As I would a TV, a microprocessor, a toaster oven, or any other product.
You should probably take a look at your receipt. Every gun store I've ever bought a gun store (a lot) have a NO RETURNS policy on firearms once they've been transferred to you.

As has been beaten into the ground in this thread, the expectation to return a malfunctioning firearm to the store and exchange it for a new one is simply a fallacy. The dealer will work with you to return it to the manufacturer for repair if necessary, but they don't just exchange it.

Vehicle purchases are similar. Although they usually do have something like a 5, 7, 10, or 14 day return policy... after that... it's your car. Whether you've driven it around the block or across the country. If there's a problem with the car, that's what the manufacturers warranty is for.
Old May 2, 2015, 05:46 PM   #74
Cheapshooter

Quote:
They had better have my back
The problem is they did, and more! They are not under any obligation to return the gun to the factory for repairs. If that is what it really needed. But they were willing to do so for him. At their cost of money, and time. I would say they went beyond the call for this customer who continued to be unreasonable.
What a few are calling condescending is most likely better described as experience. People who have dealt with more gun shops, and gun purchases than TV, microprocessor, or toaster oven purchases.
Old May 2, 2015, 05:48 PM   #75
Sequins

There is a difference in approach between "Well, did you check the manual?" Versus "You didn't check the manual, you're an idiot". The forum chose the latter and it wasn't productive. I am more inclined to think the guy just got mad than that the pistol was broken, but the forum was unnecessarily cruel and reveled in ridiculing him. That's why I spoke up, it was an awful self congraulatory lynching of the OP.