The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 29, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
ZVP

1/4 of a can of Pyrodex left...

Guess I'll go shooting today and try to burn this can up! Forecast is 100+degrees and still air. That means all that wonderfull, acrid, smoke will hang around for a while and get lots of comments from the Smokeless guys...
HI might even treat em to some Cream Of Wheat filler for some more smoke
Actually a 1 lb can of powder lasts quite a while with an informal shooter such as me! I get a lot of fun to the pound! Loading my .44's at 30 gr and my .36's at 22 gr the smelly black stuff goes quite a ways!
I shoot the RLB and use lubed Patches for fire control.
I once figured the actual costs of shooting BP and it came out something like 5times the cost of a rimfire! Kinda suprised me but tou shoot a lot less with BP.
But where are ya gonna get all the BOOM and Fire that BP gives you?
The best part is that I'll be shooting slow, probablly 3 cylinders to the 2 boxes of 9mm the guy nextdoor is shootin. So Who's havin more fun? The BP shooter of course!
ZVP

PS
For safetys sake, always fill cylinders from a secondary measure and always give the gun a few minutes to burn embers up before reloading, OK?
Old July 29, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Gatofeo

Be a real pest, use fertilizer based on urea as a filler!

Never tried it myself, but I'll bet that the stench of sulfur and burned urine would really set them off!

What the heck, it'll all wash off when you clean the bore. Might want to wear a gas mask while shooting, though ...