The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Striker846

Getting into Reloading (with Experiance)

Im about to turn 21!
And with that I will be getting some pistols from my Father along with my rifles.
Now I want to get the 1050B (The big Progressive press from dillon) Simply for the time I dont have for a single stage like i learned on. I'm in the military and dont get alot of time when I do have down time.

Here is the thing. When switching out Calibers on these. I know you dis assemble it and take the plate out. But would it save time to get plates to just switch out like with each calibur so I never have to mess with any of the settings just switch them out?

Just curious. Ive never seen one of these machines in action in real life just youtube videos.

Could someone enlighten me on the process of switching stuff out?
Old January 4, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
micksis86

Yeah you can I think it's called a toolhead conversion kit and it just slides in to the top of the press with your dies already set the way they were. I don't own a Dillon but no doubt someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
Old January 4, 2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Striker846

see thats what im getting from the website itself. I just want confirmation of this before I get one and how easy this process is. (although I know it will prolly be confusing at first)
Old January 4, 2010, 08:31 AM   #4
micksis86

As I said I don't own a Dillon i've only seen them on youtube so i'm speaking for virtually no experience with them, but I saw a video on youtube of a guy assembling the Dillon from the ground up and it pretty much just slid in. I guess you have to hook up the powder hopper and the other stuff like that but it's probably designed to be pretty quick i'd imagine. I just bout a Hornady LNL AP and I love it! Goodluck with it.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Ronbert

I've run a Dillon 550b for 17 years now and would be intimidated by setting up a 1050 (though I could do it - it would take me quite a awhile to be sure I'd done it right).

While it's nice to consider buying the very best of anything, the 1050 is the most complex loader Dillon makes. Along with complexity comes opportunity for mistakes AND changing calibers on that one is MUCH more costly than on a 550 or 650.

If you're shooting 1000 rds / wk it would make sense.

Brian Enos, a competetive IPSC shooter has some excellent info on which Dillon press to choose here-

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html

I've loaded nearly 20,000 rounds on my 550 and am very happy with it. Even the 650 has more complexity than I think is necessary though lots of guys seem to think the case feeder is the coolest thing since jacketed bullets....
Old January 4, 2010, 10:16 AM   #6
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I have a 1050 and a 1000

Setting it up is tough and if you need to change primer size it is a b***.
I also have a 650 and a 550 the press I use most is the 550 it is easy and a good progresive to learn on. Too many people buy a big progresive and loose heart.

Ed
Old January 4, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Dustin0

Striker846 I think you need to start a little small IMHO. Something like a Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit. Changing out to another cal. is alot easier on them and you they are alot easier to setup and get running. Plus your not out a ton of cash.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Striker846

IDK im pretty set on the 1050. Ill be reloading 10mm 9mm 45. and .556/.22 rounds
Im sure the initial se up is a pain. (well not a pain but a learning experiance) But from what i understand is that once its set up for a caliber its ready to rock and load. Just get my loading manuel book marked and what not. And if I have to switch out plates that may cost a little bit more but thats not a problem in my part. Its mostly about rounds per second once i master it.

As for the switching of the primer sizes out, Im sure once I do it once or twice it wont be such a hassel.

Im kinda dead set on it and I know ALOT of begginer should start on a single stage or small progressive. But i learned on my dads old RCBS and I dont have that many hours in the day that me and my son to be wife are gonna shoot.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:18 PM   #9
BigJimP

I would not recommend you start on a single stage.... go with a progressive.

But as a Note: Dillon considers the 1050 a commercial grade machine ( and it only comes with a 1 year warranty). They do that because they don't want to subsidize a "commercial ammo making operation"...

The Dillon 650 with a case feeder - is almost as fast as the 1050 / and comes with the Dillon lifetime no BS warranty. I would seriously recommend you reconsider the 650 with a case feeder over the 1050.

Making the caliber conversions on the 650 or the 1050 isn't that big a deal. My 650 with a case feeder easily puts out 1,000 rds an hour / and when I run a caliber I load 50 or 60 boxes and then store them. Then I convert to a new caliber / and lube and clean and inspect the press in the process. I do have tool heads set up for each of the 9 calibers I reload and powder measures installed on each / so its only a 15 min process even if I have to change from a small to large primer, etc .....no big deal.

Attachment 55543

Last edited by BigJimP; December 14, 2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Ronbert

You might want to go thru the pricing exercise for 4 different calibers on the 3 machines. See if your time is worth the difference between the 1050 changeover costs and the 550's.

But if you're dead set on it - have fun.

The Brian Enos website has several helpful forum categories you can get some great tips from reading.

The 550 and 650 also have swappable toolheads (in case you hadn't read that far in the literature).
I just brought in my toolhead with .44Magnum dies all setup to loan to a friend who bought a 550 and set it up for xmas. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have to make any adjustments to the setup.

Last edited by Ronbert; January 4, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: add toolhead para
Old January 4, 2010, 03:08 PM   #11
Ronbert

Quote:
Im kinda dead set on it and I know ALOT of begginer should start on a single stage or small progressive. But i learned on my dads old RCBS and I dont have that many hours in the day that me and my son to be wife are gonna shoot.
Just to be clear, nobody is trying to talk you out of a progressive press.
It's just that you seem to be dead-set on buying an ammunition factory :-)

My friend ordered his 550 from Brian Enos and received really great personalized advice and service. If you decide to order a Dillon press Brian will check your order and ensure you have all the stuff you need and suggest deleting things you don't need. These machines are complex enough that it would be easy to overlook vital parts if you were to just try to order the pieces online on your own.

Brian has also done everyone a great service by writing it all up so you can read and think it over with no sales pressure. He posted prices of conversions and discusses little things that make a difference. I have no financial interest in his success in any way, shape or form. I just appreciate the way he writes about the equipment and the way he did business with my friend. Do read up on what you're thinking of doing. Remember PPPPPP?

If you are anywhere near N. Colorado I'd be happy to demo my 550 for you so you've seen it firsthand. (PM me)
Old January 4, 2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Striker846

Well Im in germany right now (thats where im currently stationed) So it makes it hard for any purchase i cant see on hand. But Ill look into the 650. Like above i didnt look at anything below just went and looking at the 1050 and was like WOW. But ill look into it.

Im getting stationed in Maryland and Idk what the gun law situation out there is out here so i was gonna get everything before I left to go there and be home in IL waiting.

But thanks for all the help. I greatly apprieciate it. Ive tried 3 other forums and they were the COMPLETE opposite of my experiance. *Bookmarks Forum*

Thank you. And i wish i could se your set up first hand that wouldbe geat.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:33 PM   #13
dmazur

Just a little more info for you -

For the 550B (which is similar to Dillon's other loaders, except it has only 4 stations), you would need 3 different shellplates for the 9mm, 10mm, .223, .45ACP calibers you are planning to reload. From looking at the list, it appears 9mm and 10mm use the same shellplate, but different locator buttons, and the locator buttons are easy to change.

In addition to a shellplate, it sounds like you want a toolhead for each caliber as well.

To make the changeover really fast, you can set up a powder thru expander die and powder measure for each caliber, too.

Dillon sells stands to hold the assembled toolhead, dies, powder measures. There's even a slot for the shellplate and holes for the locator buttons.

I believe what others have inferred is that, in order to get the most out of the 1050, you're looking at all this extra "stuff", and Dillon prices it accordingly for that machine.

You need the same stuff for quick changes on a 550 or a 650, and it's a lot cheaper...
Old January 4, 2010, 07:02 PM   #14
BigJimP

Another couple reasons to pick the 650 over the 550 ... the 550 has to be manually indexed / and the 550 does not allow for the "power check" die option.

To me - a new press without the "powder check" is a bad idea / and while I know you can load good ammo on the Dillon SDB or the 550 - not having the "powder check" is a deal breaker for me.

You really aren't giving up anything significant going with the 650 / if you buy the case feeder ... ( the 650 is a little different press than the 1050 ) - but the 1050 fully equipped with dies, etc is about $ 1,743 / the 650 equipped with dies, powder check, case feeder, etc is about $ 1,025 - and on top of the price difference the "No BS lifetime warranty" is worth something...

I've never had a problem with my 650 / but I've broken a few parts - my fault / lost springs / they sent me a free update on the feed tube on the case feeder, etc - and they just mail it to you under the warranty ...... They aren't going to do that on the 1050 .....after 1 year.