The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2009, 10:22 PM   #1
Jack45

I'm clueless when it comes to reloading...

I want to have a reloading gig but I know nothing about it. I don't even know where to start. Could you all direct me to some reliable FAQs so I can learn?
Old December 31, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
NCMountain

The best way is to..........

find someone in your area that would not mind having you over to show you the basics. How do you do this you might say? You go to your local gun shop or range and leave a request if they don't mind and maybe someone will show you the how to get started intro.

Me.....I read and researched online and chose my press and manuals. Then from there I read the manuals over and over then bought my supplies.
Old December 31, 2009, 10:46 PM   #3
bangbangshootshoot

Jack, go to this thread already in progress:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=391194
Old January 1, 2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Winterhawk56

Welcome to TFL and reloading.

I started back in 1979 with a reloading manual (Speer) and read it. then found a couple of friends to show me the ropes. The rest is history so to speak!

BBSS gave you a good locations to start but I suggest buying a reloading book on how to and a reloading manual from anyone of the main manufactures like Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes or Sierra. They talk extensively in the books.

Ask questions in the RL section of TFL and most anyone will help!

Welcome aboard!
Old January 1, 2010, 01:45 AM   #5
Bruin-Hockey

For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST

Look at the top of the page and read this post added by the Staff of TFL Forums. I - like you - am new to this end of the sport. This is a very well written post and gives good common sense directions. I ordered the first book from Amazon and had it in two days - now I feel like I am on the right path.
Old January 1, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
zxcvbob

I started reloading about 5 or 6 years ago with a just copy of Lyman's 48th. (they are up to 49 or 50 now) The first 4 or 5 chapters is the good part; before you get to the recipes.
Old January 1, 2010, 02:25 AM   #7
Hook686

The current Lyman Reloading Manual is a good starting point to learn this hobby. I suggest you get one and read the first few chapters more than once.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:01 AM   #8
Headgear

Jack45,

I'm surprised no one said it yet, "get a copy of the ABC's of reloading". It's probably the best thing to read before starting. And you do know that what you are starting is an addiction, right?

Good luck, be safe!
Old January 1, 2010, 09:10 AM   #9
sundog

Find a certified NRA Reloading Instructor and take the course.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:29 PM   #10
johnjohn

Folks starting today have a definite advantage. I got started about 15 years ago no one I knew reloaded no internet no nothing but reloading manuals. You read a lot and over and over. Down in this part of the country reloading was kinda' like voodoo or black magic. Shoulda' stayed like that 'cause almost all range brass was once fired!
Old January 1, 2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Don P

Sticky's at the top of this forum will be a good start. Three books to start, ABC's of reloading, Lee's reloading book, and Lymann's reloading book.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:42 PM   #12
ZeSpectre

Link to the sticky
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171

READ IT!

Buy the "ABC's of reloading". Read it all the way through. Write down your questions (no matter how stupid they seem). Read again. If your questions aren't answered then come back here and ask away.

I haven't been reloading too long myself and had tons of questions, heck some still come up here and there.

No matter what, DON'T BE IN A HURRY. Reloading isn't that tough, but safety is THE most important thing and you MUST be careful because physics doesn't care if you are a nice guy, it only cares if you are careful and attentive to what you are doing.

Welcome to the club.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:36 AM   #13
schmitey

One thing I've learned is that not all reloading manuals are the same! Like winterfresh I also have a 1979 Speer manual and that thing not only has ballistics tables but also about 100 pages of instructions and troubleshooting procedures.

I recently acquired the 7th Edition Hornady manual and was sadly disappointed! Anyone trying to learn reloading from their pathetic 'instructions' is in for a world of confusion. I can't speak for any of the other brands out there. The Hornady manual is great for load data but you need more instruction than it can provide IMO...

I second trying to find a local reloading expert if at all possible. Just hang out at a range, if you see anyone picking up brass ask them if they reload and go from there!