The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1
Smokin Joe

SPEEDFEED® III Stock. Tool or Gimmick ?

am considering one of these, fits 4 rounds in the stock.

what do you think ? Real Tool ? or side saddle is better ?

or better yet, this plus an elastic band side saddle over the 4 inside for even MORE rounds ?
Old February 18, 2007, 01:02 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

Opinion varies.

Some people think they're great, others report that the shells tend to jump out of the tubes if the gun is bumped around much.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:27 AM   #3
hpg

MY son has one on his Home Defense 870 and the Speedfeed I on his issued 590A1, we have shot both and so far no shells have fallen out. I'm sure they can, but have not with us so far.
I have the Speedfeed IV(without the internal shell holders on my HD 870).....hpg
Old February 18, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4
cdnbacon

speedfeed stocks

Hello: my police dept, and two of my personal shotguns, have speedfeed stocks in the standard configuration (non pistol gripped). I have found the quality to be excellent. For example, the stock appears to be solid rather than hollow, except for the shell tubes, and the butt pad screws into bushings rather than merely into the plastic.

As for the shellholder tubes themselves, I have found after being loaded for extended periods, the springs will weaken to the point where recoil will cause a shell to pop out on its own if only one shell is loaded in the tube. If two rounds (full capacity) are loaded in each tube, nothing pops out on its own. Also, after being loaded for a while the spring pressure can slightly deform the crimp on a slug round in the tube making it slightly out of round. I have not seen this occur to the point where it affected function however.

I personally prefer a 3gungear.com stick on side saddle for extra rounds, but really like the quality of the speedfeed stock and it never hurts to have the extra slugs in the tubes. Hope this helps.
Old February 18, 2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Syntax360

My mossberg came with a speedfeed stock like that - I really like it. I've never experienced the shells falling out - they are locked in there pretty good.
Old February 18, 2007, 04:24 PM   #6
musher

My wife and I carried mossberg 590's w speedfeed stocks in scabbards in our dog sleds for about 6 years (straight stocks, no pistol grips). The shotguns typically spent weeks at a time outside in temps down to -50. Left side tubes were loaded with cracker shells and right side tubes were loaded with slugs.

I usually function tested the guns every couple of months by popping off the rounds in the magazine (crackers followed by slugs). I would then reload from the speedfeed tubes plus new shells to make up the difference and to refill the speedfeed tubes.

I never had a shell jump free of the stock during testing or when we ran our sleds (lots of bouncing sometimes).

For storage in a scabbard, I much preferred the 590's with the speedfeeds over my previous mossberg 500's with sidesaddles. The sidesaddles always seemed to get hung up on the draw just when a moose was giving the dog team the hairy eyeball.

The speedfeed option lets you carry extra rounds with nothing protruding.

We would typically use (fire) the shotguns a couple of times a month during the mushing season to run off aggressive moose.

Also, I'd note that the speedfeeds were pretty tough when it came to being banged around and abused. We had a number of incidents where the shotguns ended up being the filling in a dogsled-spruce tree sandwich. I broke a wooden 500 stock once doing this, but never had one of the speedfeeds break.
Old February 19, 2007, 04:06 AM   #7
Smokin Joe

these stories are very insiteful ! thank yoiu !
Old February 20, 2007, 08:19 AM   #8
jrfoxx

my 590 came with the speedfeed stock (without the pistol grip-not sure which "model" it is) and I haven't had any issues with shells popping out, going in hard, being hard to get out, etc.Also seems pretty darn sturdy, and the foam recoil pad that came on it makes shooting 3" mag slugs and oo buck no problem, comfort wise (and I'm 5'5 150lbs).If mine hadnt come with it, I personally wouldn't pay much extra to add one on after the fact, just for 4 extra shells (ext. mag tube is 8+1 already), but I sure have no complaints.
Old February 21, 2007, 08:11 AM   #9
Striker

I have two (they came that way when purchased). One works ok, the other is difficult to get the shells out of easily. However, I find it very ackward to execute a load as it requires different techniques depending on which side you access the spare ammo from. I prefer to use a side saddle.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

RLTW
"Hope is not a course of action, nor a method of execution..."
Old February 24, 2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Alfa One

I bought a stock just like it. I love it.

It took me about 4 months to get in in (USA-Belguim) and cost me quit a lot of money. No way I want anything else!
Old March 5, 2007, 03:10 AM   #11
Sgt.Fathead

Speedfeed I Report

I have a tricked out Mossberg Maverick 88 that came with a Speedfeed I stock on it. I have roughed it up quite a bit running speed courses with it and a) no shells ever popped free but b) they were a PITA to get out anyway. I imagine that working them often with snap caps or live shells (outdoors) would have broken them in a bit but now I don't use it for courses and just use an armband carrier.

Just me, they were not convenient slots, easier to carry/draw four additional shells elsewhere.