The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 30, 2011, 08:03 PM   #51
Nnobby45

Quote:
If done right, no one will notice.
I agree. Why would you call attention to things than can be done in a subtle manner. Whether it's being alert or carrying a gun in the first place. If people keep bringing it up, might be time to change your style.

I will say that I've always been a "people observer". Some, but very few, have picked up on that----or mentiioned it, anyway.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:28 PM   #52
Southern Rebel

Quote:
So if I feel that some folks behavior is paranoid, does that mean I am a sheep?
No, Wildalaska, we would never consider you a sheep. (Now, maybe occasionally a stubborn old goat , but that's what makes the forums more lively!)
Old June 30, 2011, 08:31 PM   #53
40caljustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
When you are a sheepdog, you don't care what the sheep think, you do what you must.
I think someone has been watching too many Nutnfancy videos.

I think being aware is great but being tactical and junk is a bit overboard. There are guys at my local range that really go way out there. They carry big blades and ankle pistols plus their EDC gun. Always wear safety glasses where ever they go. Their conversations consists of tactical gear and strategy. Its very annoying not to mention hard to carry a convo with them. I just don't see eye with those kinda folks. Be aware but drop the bullcrap.

Being a sheepdog will eventually get you and/or someone else hurt. Its starting to become an epidemic. Its what these folks think about constantly and they look for the situation to arise. This will lead to someone jumping the gun to be a hero with a brief lapse in thinking causing injury to others. Mark my words. Just my opinion. I'm entitled to it.
Old June 30, 2011, 08:56 PM   #54
Unistat76

Says the guy who's handle is 40CalJustice, lol!
Old June 30, 2011, 09:54 PM   #55
40caljustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat76 View Post
Says the guy who's handle is 40CalJustice, lol!
Haha. Yeah know right. I guess my handle screams sheepdog. I can assure you I'm not. .40cal is my caliber of choice and my dogs name is justice. Its got a bit of a double meaning. If you sneak in at night you might get a pit bull or a .40cal. Sounds sheepdogish though. I never thought about that. Good catch.
Old June 30, 2011, 09:59 PM   #56
Wildalaska

Quote:
I guess my handle screams sheepdog.
Naw it could be worse:

Tactaninj
TheAvenger
45acpPunisher
SlayerofGoblins
et seq

WildiweardarkglassesatnightAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old June 30, 2011, 10:06 PM   #57
meanoldman

I never turn my back to the door at the urinal; consequently I am always peeing on people as they come in.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:11 PM   #58
Unistat76

I hate to see the term sheepdog become synonymous with "mall ninja." It does Lt. Col. Grossman's work an injustice.

Besides, we who have a carry permit look like total nutters to certain people no matter what we do. I try to avoid looking down on folks because they carry one more gun or knife or magazine than I do.

To paraphrase, I can't describe a mall ninja, but I know one when I see it.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:12 PM   #59
Unistat76

Quote:
I never turn my back to the door at the urinal; consequently I am always peeing on people as they come in.
No you're supposed to go in a stall and prop your feet up on the sides so no-one knows you are in there while you pee.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:14 PM   #60
Glenn E. Meyer

Does sheepdog imply you see yourself as the protector of the restaurant?

I prefer to be a Me-mine-dog.

Let's not wander into whether you are not a sheepdog and then a bad person, etc.
Old June 30, 2011, 10:16 PM   #61
riggins_83

Only by people who are so oblivious they wouldn't notice a tank sitting in the parking lot...
Old June 30, 2011, 10:19 PM   #62
gunsrtools

Even a paranoid person could have people after him.....

Being Sicilian...I never sit with my back to the door and I always test the weight of the table in case i have to turn it over as a shield.....nothing paranoid there....just normal behavior in my "family"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old June 30, 2011, 10:20 PM   #63
GoOfY-FoOt

Quote:
No you're supposed to go in a stall and prop your feet up on the sides so no-one knows you are in there while you pee.
I just stand on the toilet so they think I'm 8 feet tall...
Old June 30, 2011, 10:46 PM   #64
40caljustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
WildiweardarkglassesatnightAlaska ™©2002-2011
The things you write at the bottom of your post kill me dude. You have quite the imagination and are comical as heck. Haha. Keep up the good work.
Old July 1, 2011, 01:32 AM   #65
Nnobby45

Quote:
Being a sheepdog will eventually get you and/or someone else hurt. Its starting to become an epidemic. Its what these folks think about constantly and they look for the situation to arise. This will lead to someone jumping the gun to be a hero with a brief lapse in thinking causing injury to others. Mark my words. Just my opinion. I'm entitled to it
Just looking at my own community, I read about many incidents involving violent criminals and the people they kill or injure.

Don't recall any sheepdog dogooders jumping the gun and causing injury to others.

I'm not a sheep dog just waiting to jump in there, myself, but I think there's a big difference in the sheepdog mentality that examines different tactical situations and the sheepdog mentality you've created in your head that I've observed very little of.
Old July 1, 2011, 04:02 AM   #66
40caljustice

Your point of view is different than mine. Ill protect my family, friends and I but will not put another's life at danger catching a stray bullet unless its to protect something as valuable as my family. To help someone is to help them. Use my first aid kit, fix a flat tire, give spare change but I don't see firing a bullet in a heated situation when I have plenty of chance to call 911. If my life or my families life isn't in danger then that's the best possible scenario to seek shelter/cover and call 911. If the problem comes my way then I will handle it to my best abilities. Jumping to help a stranger can get you in trouble if things go wrong not to mention get you killed or someone else. Is it worth it unless its family? Think about it.
Old July 1, 2011, 12:17 PM   #67
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Note that a few posts that were, uh... less than family friendly, have been deleted. Implied or otherwise, let's keep it clean folks.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 1, 2011, 02:11 PM   #68
Sleuth

Wild, .40 cal, talk to me after you put right at 1,000 folks into the Federal criminal Justice system, as I have. Not one of them wanted to go, and some would like to get even for the 5 to 10 years of their life they spent as guests of the Government.

Some of the folks I arrested were mobbed up, some worked for unfriendly intelligence services. I'm not paranoid, just aware that the threat (for me and mine) is real !

And what the heck is a nutnfancy video?
Old July 1, 2011, 02:16 PM   #69
Wag

The sheep believe they are safe wherever they go. They do nothing to preserve their well-being. They judge people as paranoid when they are merely aware of their surroundings.

Further, many sheep seem to believe that you aren't supposed to take care of your own safety requirements but leave it to the authorities. If the authorities can't take care of you, you're supposed to just lie down for those who wish to stomp you into the ground.

If you fit this definition, you're a sheep!

--Wag--
Old July 1, 2011, 02:17 PM   #70
Wildalaska

Quote:
Some of the folks I arrested were mobbed up, some worked for unfriendly intelligence services. I'm not paranoid, just aware that the threat (for me and mine) is real !
You know, when I was doing criminal defense nothing pee'd me off more that listing to the Government whine about what "threats" the defendants were

Especially mobbed up guys....the last mobster that even thought about hitting a non crook minion of the government was the Dutchman

WildandyouknowwhathappenedtohimAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 1, 2011, 02:23 PM   #71
Sleuth

Well, I guess your all encompassing knowledge of the criminal mind surpasses the intelligence reports I still get.

And I guess the cartels are also just misunderstood.
Old July 1, 2011, 02:28 PM   #72
Wildalaska

Quote:
I think we should petition the mods to ban all this sheepdog crap:barf:

It gives gun owners a bad name.

Quote:
Well, I guess your all encompassing knowledge of the criminal mind surpasses the intelligence reports I still get.
Thank you. Glad you recognize it.

As one of the biggest boosters of LE here, I have more right than anyone to point out their failings.

Threat=dollars and power. Take it with a grain of salt, elst we will have street searches of adult diapers.

WilditsthehumanconditionAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 1, 2011, 02:40 PM   #73
40caljustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
The sheep believe they are safe wherever they go. They do nothing to preserve their well-being. They judge people as paranoid when they are merely aware of their surroundings.

Further, many sheep seem to believe that you aren't supposed to take care of your own safety requirements but leave it to the authorities. If the authorities can't take care of you, you're supposed to just lie down for those who wish to stomp you into the ground.

--Wag--
Good thing I'm not a sheep. Its my obligation to protect my family and I. If I leave it to the authorities I may not make it. Like I said before, I pretty sure I wont take a chance hurting someone if my family or I aren't in direct danger. If the situation ever arises then I would have to make the decision. If I'm alone and some old lady is getting mugged then I may stop to help and call 911. If there is gun fire then I'm protecting me and mine first. Its just the smart decision on all fronts. I'm finding a way out of danger then reevaluate the situation. That's just me. You guys do what you want. Its you who either becomes the hero or the prisoner. My opinion.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:01 PM   #74
markj

Quote:
When you are a sheepdog,
You get placed in my kennel wit hthe other dogs haha that is sooo funny. I gotta tell my cousins and a friend is a US Marshall cousins are cops and one has put more men behind bars, some look him up and say thanks you saved my life but it isnt so glamorous as mobsters being after you like every Italian I met is connected lol

I carry for the safety of my family, period. It is to protect me and mine and that may not include "sheep" lol

Men used to go around and smile say top o the morning, now Isee everyone looking all askance wondering if that guy is gonna get after me. lol fighting for the seat against the wall like wild bill altho the one time he didnt....

So what treats do we buy for you? Need a trim? I know a good dog person....
Old July 1, 2011, 03:12 PM   #75
Inspector3711

I don't know when I started facing the door in public places. Seems like I've always done it. Maybe being in a pickle few times (like 30-40 times) when I was young just made it a natural choice. Maybe it's just common sense....

Early on, my wife used to try to fight me for the seat facing the door. Long ago she learned there was a good reason for my insistence.

I don't go around feeling paranoid, but when I'm in a public place I just naturally keep my eyes moving and stay aware of my surroundings. I don't even do it consciously. Thinking about it, I drive the same way.

As far as "sheep" go, I think there are those who are naturally ready for trouble. It's second nature. There are others who don't make that a priority, or even take it into consideration. It doesn't make them defective somehow, it just means they are different.

There are many "sheep" who live long full lives without ever seeing a moment of trouble.

I don't consider myself to be a sheep. That said, I worked in a pretty rough neighborhood in Seattle for 23 years. I spent many evenings in bars and taverns after work. I was rarely armed with anything but my fists and a pocket knife. I found a dead guy in the flower bed in front of our office there (stabbed). I saw a man get shot in the leg and another getting stabbed with a butcher knife by his wife while he was sweeping a gas station parking lot. I saw an armored personnel carrier on the high school lawn at 2am because of a reported rocket launch from the high school roof (not a model rocket). I could go on.

I only ran into one scrape in all that time. It was settled without gunpowder.

Last edited by Inspector3711; July 1, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
Closed Thread