The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 4, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1
ProudUSAF

can i bring a firearm from az to ca?

im in the military abd im going back home for a visit in ca, i was wondering if i would be breaking any laws if i decided to bring my 1911 from az over to ca?
Old March 4, 2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Hansam

I could be WAY off but if its just a 1911 you shouldn't be breaking any CA laws... unless you've made modifications that might break CA laws. Sadly CA has a lot of stupid laws regarding firearms so if its just a basic 1911 I'd say you're safe. If not and you've got some exotic modification on it check the laws carefully.

Actually I just chuckles a bit thinking about it - a Para 1911 with the 14rd double stack mag with a threaded barrel for a suppressor. Cross the border with that and you'll set off red lights and sirens all over CA! lol!
Old March 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3
kxkid

You can own high cap mags in CA just can not be bought or shipped there. As long as its transported by their laws you will be fine. And even if the barrel was threaded that's not illegal since ars are legal in CA and the have threaded barrels

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old March 4, 2012, 11:34 PM   #4
Hansam

I though CA legal ARs had to have their flash suppressors permanently soldered or pinned on? Maybe I'm still thinking of Clinton's magical ban...
Old March 5, 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansam
I though CA legal ARs had to have their flash suppressors permanently soldered or pinned on?...
Don't know (I'd have to look it up). But anyway, it's irrelevant. The OP's talking about a 1911.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:27 AM   #6
CowTowner

I have transported a single stack 1911 into and out of California for years when visiting inmates, er, my family there. Gun locked in a hard case not accessible from the passenger compartment and ammunition stored in a separate box. (I lock that one too just because)
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 6, 2012, 01:59 PM   #7
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxkid
You can own high cap mags in CA just can not be bought or shipped there. As long as its transported by their laws you will be fine. And even if the barrel was threaded that's not illegal since ars are legal in CA and the have threaded barrels
Wrong. Handguns with threaded barrels are considered "assault weapons" in California and are illegal to import or possess.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:03 PM   #8
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowTowner
I have transported a single stack 1911 into and out of California for years when visiting inmates, er, my family there. Gun locked in a hard case not accessible from the passenger compartment and ammunition stored in a separate box. (I lock that one too just because)
If the handgun is in a locked case, it can be in the passenger compartment. There is no requirement that the handgun be in a hard case. A soft case is fine, if locked. Ammuntion does not have to be in a separate case, or even in a case at all.
Old March 6, 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
CowTowner

I was simply pointing out how I transport mine into and out of the state.
I am aware of the state laws and do my best to stay up to date with them.
That said, it doesn't hurt to go a little extra to keep out of a California jail.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 6, 2012, 03:02 PM   #10
EOD Guy

Better too much than not enough, especially since California LEOs are not known for their understanding of California firearms laws.