The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2010, 02:54 PM   #126
BigJimP

Ok Scott ....so sell your 870 at a local shop ....and buy a Browning BPS ...maybe you'll be happier ??
Old June 3, 2010, 02:59 PM   #127
ScottRiqui

Actually, the problem with my 870 was just crud/corrosion in the extractor assembly (which probably happened after it left the factory and before being sold to me new).

I was just pointing out the inanity of the challenge, and one likely reason why he hasn't had any takers. Considering the cost of the shotguns in question, anyone that isn't local to Dave is facing a losing proposition, money-wise, whether Dave fixes the gun or buys it.
Old June 3, 2010, 04:04 PM   #128
BigJimP

I'm glad it worked out easy for you Scott.

I always make it a practice to thoroughly strip a new gun down and clean and lube it really well before I take it to the range.../there is often a lot of preservative, etc inside the triggers and actions of new guns / and used guns often have never been stripped down completely.
Old June 3, 2010, 04:08 PM   #129
ScottRiqui

Agreed - I'll know better next time. I cleaned out the barrel, receiver and took it down to clean the bolt, but didn't think to check the extractor.

I was pretty frustrated at the time, because the only answer I could get from the various forums I checked was "rough chamber! rough chamber", when that wasn't my problem. I do have to say that after getting it sorted, I love the heck out of this little 870.
Old June 3, 2010, 08:27 PM   #130
Technosavant

Quote:
I am honestly baffled, totally mystified, by the Remington hatred.
I don't get it either. People complain about Remington's lack of innovation. Then they innovate (105 CTi and the improved II model), and people complain that it's too bizarre and too different, and the model is taken off the market.

Granted, not everything I've had from Big Green has been 100%, but I've had one mediocre experience with them and several excellent experiences (including one where they bailed my hiney out from my own stupidity). But some folks just really have it in for Remington.

Personally, I'm just fine with Remington and I'm plenty pleased with them.
Old June 3, 2010, 11:21 PM   #131
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

None yet, Maromero.

I too wonder about the Rem-hate. Everything I have from them is exemplary in reliability and effectiveness. All first hand input I have FTF is likewise.

Big Jim, thanks. One of my bumper stickers says" Choose Civility In Howard County".

I didn't expect to buy many Expresses. I did hope to find out how widespread owner dissatisfaction was. IMO, that has been answered.

Most,maybe nearly all, Express owners are happy with them.

And IMO, any Expresses that do not work right off the shelf after cleaning and lube SHOULD BE MADE RIGHT BY THE MAKER......
Old June 3, 2010, 11:42 PM   #132
jmortimer

I did not see "Rem-haters" in this interesting thread just frustrated owners of current production 870 Express shotguns with crude extractor machining, rust, and a lack of pride in production. While it may be a consequence of its popularity, the fact is that as far as current production pump shotguns go, the 870 Express has more "problems" than all others combined. It is pure conjecture as to percentages but there are "issues" and Remington should insist on the same level of quality of production that they apparently require of the Chinese 870 they import and sell for less $$$.
Old June 3, 2010, 11:44 PM   #133
noyes

Maybe try Shooting those shotguns enought to at least break them in , along with proper cleaning & lubrication before and after shooting.
Old June 4, 2010, 11:10 AM   #134
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

J, if someone uses an experience of problems with one or two Expresses to call the whole breed "Junk,etc", that qualifies as hate in my universe.

Were someone talking about people of any ethnic group instead of shotguns, we'd term that hater a bigot.

Do some owners have problems with new Expresses?

Certainly.

Are those problems unfixable and pandemic in the Express line?

No.

Should Remington do better in QC and such matters as chamber polish?

Heck,yes!!
Old June 4, 2010, 02:37 PM   #135
TMUSCLE1

The only thing I wish my newer model Express Super Mag had was a better finish...it doesn't stand up to the humidity here in SC. My problems were addressed here after some questions were asked. I did have a rough chamber, but I'm the type of guy where the glass is half full so now I'm glad I had that problem because it made me tinker and figure out what to do to fix the problem on a firearm. Wasn't used to that.

I'm getting a Mossberg next though just so I can say that I have both(and the finish is better and will hold up better here).
Old June 4, 2010, 03:00 PM   #136
oneounceload

Quote:
I'm getting a Mossberg next though just so I can say that I have both(and the finish is better and will hold up better here).
Then, there will be the Browning BPS, then the Ithaca (in 28 gauge for giggles), and it goes on forever from there..........
Old June 4, 2010, 03:08 PM   #137
TMUSCLE1

Quote:
Then, there will be the Browning BPS, then the Ithaca (in 28 gauge for giggles), and it goes on forever from there..........
Please don't remind me....then there's the Browning A-5, Saiga 12, Winchester 1300(if I can find one), Benelli Super Nova...I can't stop!
Old June 9, 2010, 12:56 AM   #138
radshop

One guy's experience - I bought a new 870 express about a year ago on sale for just under $300. I have shot a couple hundred rounds of trap through it with zero malfunctions, even with cheap bulk ammo that jams my "old reliable" Stevens. When I walked up to the trap station the first time, it had been cleaned (nothing more) but never fired. The action was a little stiff - smoothing up now - but worked fine. Hopefully the next year circumstances will allow me to get to the trap range more frequently as well as some hunting.
FWIW - this is the only 870 I've ever owned, and I have only 1 other Remington firearm out of the 15 or so that I own - so I'm not a Remmie fanboy. Just providing 1 more data point.
And I don't share the view of some others who wrote in this thread that it's not possible to have pride of ownership in a shotgun that doesn't have premium looks - I'm proud to have gotten a great deal on a shotgun that ought to last me a lifetime.
Old June 11, 2010, 11:09 AM   #139
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Rad. Your experience seems much more typical than that of the naysayers.

Enjoy your fine shotgun....
Old June 11, 2010, 11:22 AM   #140
jgcoastie

For the money, I'll take a Browning BPS or Benelli Nova/SuperNova over an 870 any day of the week.

Have I had a ton of problems out of 870's? No, but they handle like pure garbage for me. 870's are good choices for a decent shotgun on a budget. However, I have become more "quality-oriented" recently and I'd rather have a Browning or Benelli.

I have always had a problem with buying guns that are good deals or guns that interest me somewhat. I never hang on to them for more than a couple months. So I created a list of guns and optics that I really, truly want. Every gun will have a purpose and will hold up to the test of time so I can pass them on to my son and him to his son. The rifle and shotgun lists are dominated by Browning, the handgun list is dominated by SigSauer.

There is not a single Remington or Mossberg on any of the three lists...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 11, 2010, 11:54 AM   #141
JNewell

Rational discussion is good.

With the admission that this may be a little off-topic, I'll say that I have recently been experimenting with a Nova. There is a lot to like about this shotgun, although it has some limitations, too. One thing I'll agree with you about is that I immediately noticed what I'd describe as better gun mounting and fit. Those are personal tool/body "interface" issues, not QC issues. The Nova (and SuperNova) obviously don't have the kind of aftermarket support (among other things) that the 870 (or Mossberg) have. So...different strokes for different folks.
Old June 12, 2010, 08:29 PM   #142
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Jg, shooting an 870 may not ring your chimes, but plenty of us hear them pealing every shot.

'Quality Oriented"? A working life of maybe 250K rounds and 10 million happy owners make the 870 platform's quality legendary.

The Browning and Benelli pumps are good guns, but not better. Just different...

J,fit is crucial. I'd rather shoot a Maverick that fit than a Perazzi that didn't.

The Nova's a good shotgun. Time will tell if it's a great one....
Old June 13, 2010, 10:00 AM   #143
Pahoo

My gosh why won't this thread, just go away ??? !!! .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; June 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old June 13, 2010, 10:26 AM   #144
dgludwig

Well, Pahoo, you could just ignore it...But, then, I guess something just keeps pulling you back.
Old June 13, 2010, 10:29 AM   #145
Pahoo

Quote:
But, then, I guess something just keeps pulling you back.
Yes Sir; I keep thinking I'm going to learn something new ??? ...

Be Safe !!
Old June 13, 2010, 10:35 AM   #146
dgludwig

That's a good one, Pahoo!
Old June 15, 2010, 07:09 AM   #147
copdills

the 870 has never let me down but mine is a old one, and one I want get rid of
Old June 15, 2010, 07:47 AM   #148
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Why, copdills? Few 870s have been worn out in one generation, or worn out period.

Two here are older than my spouse of 33 years.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:41 AM   #149
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McC
Jg, shooting an 870 may not ring your chimes, but plenty of us hear them pealing every shot.

'Quality Oriented"? A working life of maybe 250K rounds and 10 million happy owners make the 870 platform's quality legendary.

The Browning and Benelli pumps are good guns, but not better. Just different...

emphasis added
Browning and Benelli shotguns fit me better; therefore, they are better... For me.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:43 AM   #150
oneounceload

Quote:
shotguns fit me better; therefore, they are better... For me.
And THAT is the crux of the matter - if it fits, get it and have fun.........don't try pounding the proverbial square peg into the round hole