The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 1, 2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Greguw

Puting parts guns back together

Hey guys , Whats process to puting a gun with a cut reciever back in action ... I was looking at a few parts guns ...I know mechanicaly how to do it ... but from a legal standing ...can it be done ? Just machine my own reciever ?
Old February 1, 2008, 01:33 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Since this is in the NFA section, I assume you mean you want to re-activate a full-auto firearm? If that is your intent, then it is not legal, not by a longshot. (uless it is a registered DEWAT, and if so, you would already know that) If you mean you want to reactivate an otherwise legal semi-auto firearm, then you can do that all day long. Please clarify your intent so that we can be of more assistance.
Old February 1, 2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Greguw

I ment bring a semi-auto back to life ... now that you brought up the full-auto ...I know in my state it's a 200 dollar stamp and I can have a full-auto or silencer .
My gun guy is a class III he's allways saying you don't have any full-autos yet .
I would guess I would have to take the gun back to my class III and pay the tax stamp if I did a full-auto .
What do you do with the semi-autos ...In my state I can buy joe neighbours gun with a hand shake ...I usually get copy of a drivers license...I bought few nice guns the other week from a nice old lady ...they were here dead husbands guns ...she gave me a copy of his drivers license...he's been dead 10 years .

Sorry about being in the wrong area ...I'm learning ...LOL . On the semi do I just put the gun together and I'm good to go ?
Thanks for your time

greg
Old February 1, 2008, 04:02 PM   #4
shaggy

Greg -

You cannot register and build a full auto unless you're a licensed FFL & SOT or have a special waiver from the Secretary of the Treasury. Even then, the weapon would be a post-1986 sample and thus only able to be possessed by a licensed FFL/SOT or govt agency.

If you want to build a semi from an imported parts kit, the semi must comply with all provisions of the National Firearms Act as well as have no more than 10 imported parts. Additionally, no firearms with an open bolt operation can be built as they would regulated as a machinegun.
Old February 1, 2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Greguw

Thanks shaggy