The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 25, 2004, 07:38 PM   #26
alan

Greenfurniture:

Others might know better than I but I had the impression that a "light machine gun" was BIPOD mounted, whereas a heavy machine gunwas TRIPOD mounted.

Of course, re this definition, there is the "problem" of the U.S. Caliber 30 LIGHT MACHINE GUN, of WW 2, which was TRIPOD mounted.

It could be, and here would enter those "others", people who know more than I do, that light machine guns were generally air cooled weapoins, while the heavy maching gun was usually water cooled. There are problems with that also, as with the aircraft machine guns, the U.S. military used, in particular the 50 caliber BMG, which was aircooled. So many questions, so few answers. I think however, that re sub machine guns, the genre was composed of automatic, perhaps selectivefire weapons that fired the pistol cartridge, without regard to caliber. For instance, re the Thompason Sub Machine Gun, it was always chambered for the 45 ACP round. I think that there might have been a small number chambered for the 9mm Parabellun round, but that they were quite rare.
Old December 25, 2004, 11:30 PM   #27
Hkmp5sd

A "Light Machinegun" is generally defined as a machinegun firing a rifle caliber cartridge and capable of being carried by a single person. It has somewhat morphed into the "Squad Automatic Weapon" or SAW. A "Heavy Machinegun" is commonly any machinegun over 12.7mm caliber.

There are some crossover weapons. A "General Purpose Machinegun" or GPM is a machinegun that can be used as a bipod-mounted squad automatic weapon or with a tripod for sustained fire. Kind of a marriage between a LMG and a HMG.
Old December 26, 2004, 12:32 AM   #28
freedumblover

Quote:
For instance, re the Thompason Sub Machine Gun, it was always chambered for the 45 ACP round. I think that there might have been a small number chambered for the 9mm Parabellun round, but that they were quite rare.
I don't know about 9x19, but I do know there were a few Thompsons made in .38 Super.
and in thirty seconds time she said,

"I want to live like common people,
I want to do whatever common people do,
I want to sleep with common people,
I want to sleep with common people,
like you."

-----------------------------------------------------
"Ask not what your country can do for you, but how it can leave you the hell alone."
Old December 26, 2004, 11:34 PM   #29
alan

freedumblover wrote:

I don't know about 9x19, but I do know there were a few Thompsons made in .38 Super.

Curious note the above. Might they have been made for the FBI, which I believe used or issued Government Model Pistols in that caliber at one point in time.

I believe that the Thompsons in 9mm would have been WW2 items, unless I'm confusing them with the M-3 "Greasegun", for which there was a 9mm "conversion kit".

By the bye, re Thompsons in 38 Super, if you could furnish documentary backup or reference, that could turn out to be a real "bar room bettor".
Old December 26, 2004, 11:49 PM   #30
SSgt Aston

There was an article in one of the Gun Digests a few years back about experimental Thompsons, including one in 30-06. Unfortunately I don't have access to my collection of Firearm related reading material or I'd let you know which issue it was in.
Old December 27, 2004, 09:46 AM   #31
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Y'know, a 10mm Thompson would just rock the house...
Old January 13, 2008, 05:20 PM   #32
Edmond

Just look at what is written on it

Old January 13, 2008, 11:43 PM   #33
alan

SSgt Aston wrote:

There was an article in one of the Gun Digests a few years back about experimental Thompsons, including one in 30-06. Unfortunately I don't have access to my collection of Firearm related reading material or I'd let you know which issue it was in.

-------------------

Interesting but I do not think I'd be really interested in firing one, even in semi-automatic mode, if there was such.
Old January 17, 2008, 11:53 PM   #34
44 AMP
Staff

Submachine gun

Was a term coined by Thompson, referring to their gun. it came to be generally accepted that Americans called all pistol caliber automatic weapons "submachine guns". The Germans called theirs "maschinenpistole" (machinepistols) or MP, no matter if they had a stock or not.

Thompson SMGs were made in .45 ACP, with a reported handful in .38 Super and in .45 Thompson (which was a longer cased hotter .45auto round) Also there was supposed to have been a Thompson (prototype?) in .30-06!

FYI, the German designation of MP was used to allow the production of the first practical assault rifles, the MP 43 & MP 44, later known as the Stg 44. Hitler had forbidden work on new rifles (not needed), but allowed developement of new submachineguns (MPs). Even though firing a shortened rifle round (and therefore not technically an MP) the guns were called MPs to allow their developement in spite of Hitler's orders. After small numbers were fielded, requests from the front clamoring for more of the new "rifles", Hitler relented, and authorised them as "Sturmgewehr" (assault rifle).

So, traditionally, submachine guns fire pistol ammo, 9mm and .45ACP being the most common. Machine guns fire full power rifle ammo (judged by WW II standards), and are determined to be light, medium, or heavy machineguns by their size, weight, capacity for sustained fire, and method of mounting. Water cooled machine guns are considered heavy, as are some air cooled designs. Other air cooled designs are considerd medium or light, depending on several factors. Machine guns firing rounds larger than standard rifle are automatically considered heavy machineguns.

Assault rifles WERE defined after the German Sturmgewehr set the standard, and are air cooled, magazine fed, selective fire and fire a round greater than a pistol and less than the traditional full power rifle round (WWII standard - .303 British, 8mm Mauser, .30-06, etc.)

After the "assault weapon" hysteria of the late 80s and early 90s, the definition of assault rifle has become somewhat blurred, as a great number of people incorrectly call anything that looks like a modern military rifle an "assault rifle/weapon", and modern dictionaries include the incorrect defintions because they are in "popular usage".
Old January 18, 2008, 09:30 AM   #35
SDC

Thompson ended up dropping the idea for his .30-06 "Auto-Rifle" after the BAR was adopted, but he DID keep using the name for some of his designs; here's a picture of a few of them (chambered in 9mm, 7.63 Mauser, and .45 Auto) that were built by BSA for sale in the UK, but they never caught on: