The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
radioflyer

Stocks for Home Defense Shotgun

Looking for people's pros and cons of the traditional stock vs, a pistol with solid stock (non folding)

Which do you prefer and why

thank you
Old August 15, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Creeper

Here's a little story. I grew up and trained with a straight stock. Love the feel of a straight stock and the speed in which I can bring it from hip to shoulder.
I also love a short stock, because I was trained to stand square to the target... a pure combat stance designed to improve both "run and gun" short range accuracy and maneuverability.
A good sized majority of sporting shot-gunners find this to be deviant behavior... and I do understand where they are coming from.

I happened upon a Benelli M2 Tactical with a PG stock a few years ago for an excellent price. Loved the gun, hated the LOP... too long for my style. Changing the LOP on a plastic Benelli stock is not easily done... especially since we're talking about removing 2 inches, from 14 3/8" to 12.5".
Along comes Mesa Tactical with a 12.5" LOP - PG stock. Now I'm almost happy. The LOP is right for my style, but it still has a PG.

I recently traded my original PG stock for a factory straight stock... with the goal of cutting it down to 12.5"... there by achieving my desire for a short LOP & no pistol grip. Now I recently find out that Mesa Tactical is working on a short LOP straight stock. MT seems to be able to read my mind... only about 6 months to a year too late.

The moral of this story? Until you've tried everything yourself... and by that I mean really run some shells through the thing in a variety of scenarios, you really can't take someones recommendation as being right for you. I like what I like, some other poster will explain what and why they like what they like... and on and on. There is no right answer... other than what you settle on as right for you.

At least, if you're getting something where optional stocks are abundant... say a Remington 870, then you have lots of relatively inexpensive options to experiment with.

Cheers,
C
Old August 15, 2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Creeper's right. Way too many variables for a One Size Fits All answer.

I do better with the standard stock. But, I'm a shotgunner, and well used to it.

I'm inclined to think that for most folks, the standard stock's the better choice. It's got more than 200 years of R&D behind it.

Still,lots of folks get trigger time with rifles equipped with separate grips, either on their own or courtesy of the Gummint. Some folks thus may be better with those OTHER styles.

Best to try them all out....
Old August 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4
jokester_143

I've got a Knox Stock on my Mossberg 500, and I prefer it more than the traditional stock. It is strictly preference. I believe that the traditional had a more natural fit (more instinctive to shoulder), but after some moderate use, I am over that little hurdle.
Old August 15, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Creeper is right.

That said, here's my additional $.02

The Mossberg tang safety lends itself to a non-pistol grip stock.

With the 870 safety, it doesn't really matter (as long as you're right handed).

Those aren't hard and fast rules and with practice you can overcome ergonomic challenges (watch some Spetznaz guys run an AK and you'll see what I mean...), but it's a starting point IMO.