The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2011, 05:35 AM   #51
fivepaknh

At home in NH I carry a gun and the knife is just carried as a tool. I have zero training in knife fighting. i wouldn't even carry a knife if I didn't buy a Benchmade 6150 auto on impulse. Now I'm just used to having a knife with me. I'm deployed now and clipped to my front left ACU trouser pocket is a CRKT M21-14SF. Again, just as a tool. My M4 is more than enough for defending myself.

As of May 2010 NH has no carry restrictions on knives. Auto, fixed, you name it, you can own and carry it.
Old February 11, 2011, 03:56 PM   #52
JC57

Only knives I carry are included in my small pocket-sized Leatherman tools (a Squirt and a Juice), which hardly qualify as weapons. I have no training or experience in knife fighting so wouldn't try to use a knife as a weapon anyway.

I find I rarely use the knife blade on my multitools but the scissors and screwdrivers come in very handy.
Old February 11, 2011, 05:09 PM   #53
smince

I always carried a knife on my strong side for utility use only.

In 2009, I took the Suarez International 0-5Ft Gunfighting class. During this training course, I learned the benefit and wisdom of having a weapon accessible by either hand.

My pistol is AIWB carried at 12:30, and I now carry a knife clipped to each pocket.
Old February 15, 2011, 12:31 PM   #54
dgvc63

ALWAYS...

Gun or not, you should ALWAYS carry a good locking folder at the very least, preferably one that can be opened one handed.
Old February 15, 2011, 01:06 PM   #55
KChen986

My knife is a pretty handy tool.

I'm always using it to open mail, packages, etc. If I need to, I will use it for self defense--but the knife is much more utilitarian than the gun.
Old February 19, 2011, 12:21 AM   #56
Old Wanderer

While I understand I am in a severe minority, I carry a Kershaw tirade clipped in my right hip pocket where I would normally carry my wallet. I also regularly carry a Kimber Ultra.

I was found myself suddenly face to face with somebody demanding my wallet, I would opt for the knife rather than the gun.

Krav Maga and FOF classes have taught me I can win most encounter by allowing my opponent(s) to think I am giving them my wallet and begging for mercy. Drawing a gun is a loosing proposition if you are already at knife or gun point. Moving inside the OODA loop nobody expects while stepping forward to hand your wallet but that hand now has my knife, those tendons attached to the gun/knife hand only take a half second to disconnect. Also while you are whittling away, that person makes a great shield for you if he has some buddies.

I train every year, and being old and gray certainly is a psychological plus, (nobody expects you to do much but whine and beg) but a physical minus for me (I am no longer Jumping Jack Flash). I give myself 30 seconds to be done with the encounter, or I will probably loose. (Don't have the physical endurance any more, but I fight really dirty).
Old February 19, 2011, 09:19 AM   #57
smince

Good for you, Old Wanderer.

That's the kind of mindset every gun carrier should have.
Old February 19, 2011, 09:07 PM   #58
billj47

Always! And train to use it.

Old February 19, 2011, 09:26 PM   #59
2edgesword

Since I'm in downstate NY, and not one of the rich and famous, my pistol license restrictions don't allow for the EDC of a firearm. Having said that I always carry a knife and firearm when/where I can with my out of state licenses. Each has its place and given the justification and opportunity my preference would be using the tool that allows for projecting power over distance.
Old February 19, 2011, 09:30 PM   #60
Jake Balam

I carry a benchmade folder, not my first choice for self defense but it will do in a pinch
Old February 19, 2011, 10:11 PM   #61
Heavy_Metal

aaaahhh Americans....well if my primary 5.56 carbine goes down, i have the 'ol .357 on the belt, if that fails me, i have the .38 special on my non dominant side belt holster, if i can't reach that i have the 40 cal glock in my fanny pack holster, if i can't get to that, i have a 9mm short barreled tactical S&W on the ankle, and if that goes down, and only then.... i have a 7 inch, diamond coated, half serrated Ka-Bar.....and if i can't get to THAT.....i'll gouge his eyes out with my keys!!!!!

i only jest because i can't carry all that kit to the grocery store
Old February 19, 2011, 10:31 PM   #62
egor20

Heavy Metal

If I lived in East End of Paisley in Cayzer Court, I'd carry a howitzer to the local kip shop.

Nice try though

egor20's wife

Edit: I guess they had a special at ASDA on Special Brew

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 20, 2011, 01:18 AM   #63
Heavy_Metal

egor20

lol easy Yank, it's the Crown villiage of Ralston adjacent to CFB Suffield....what is ASDA

Last edited by Heavy_Metal; February 20, 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old February 21, 2011, 03:22 PM   #64
output

Quote:
aaaahhh Americans....well if my primary 5.56 carbine goes down, i have the 'ol .357 on the belt, if that fails me, i have the .38 special on my non dominant side belt holster, if i can't reach that i have the 40 cal glock in my fanny pack holster, if i can't get to that, i have a 9mm short barreled tactical S&W on the ankle, and if that goes down, and only then.... i have a 7 inch, diamond coated, half serrated Ka-Bar.....and if i can't get to THAT.....i'll gouge his eyes out with my keys!!!!!

i only jest because i can't carry all that kit to the grocery store
Sounds like the words of a man with no rights or a need for them.

Back to topic. I do carry a knife. Utility is at the top of the list but if I need it for anything else. It's there as well.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:22 AM   #65
rsh32crew

A great carry knife for the original poster, Benchmade "Infidel" OTF
Old February 22, 2011, 08:44 AM   #66
PIGMAN

I like my WW-II reproduction Marine K-Bar for any situation. another use for a knife is for a throw down.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:46 AM   #67
ChrisJ715

Cold steel recon 1 and sometimes a crkt dragon fixed blade
Old February 22, 2011, 09:25 AM   #68
jimbob86

Quote:
How many carry a knife as a back-up for a gun?
I carry a couple of knives, primarily as useful tools, and not strictly as "tacticool" self-defense back-up weapons, though they would work in a pinch.

A knife is a tool, a pair of pliers is a tool, a gun is a tool, a cell phone is a tool........ I carry all these tools everywhere I can. In truth, I find the knife and Leatherman tool more useful than the gun- never actually needed the gun, and would be disconcerted if I somehow forgot my Leatherman..... though if I ever NEEDED the gun and did not have it, the consequences would be much worse than, "Darn, I can't fix/cut/open that ________ for ya..... forgot my Leatherman."
Old February 22, 2011, 10:29 AM   #69
JerryM

No.
I would be interested in how many instances a CHL holder, not an off duty LEO, ever needed a backup either a gun or knife. I personally doubt that anyone ever needed to go to a knife.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:01 AM   #70
egor20

I broke my Buck 110 last month so I bought one of these, Tailwind Black Micarta Damascus.

http://kennesawcutlery.com/Brands/Un...-Folding-Knife

It's a nice knife, never had a spring assisted one before, so its a learning curve opening it with one hand.

It is a work knife, so I wouldn't call it a backup, but if needed .......

well i did have a switchblade when I was in Italy, hehehe
Don't tell anyone

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 25, 2011, 05:50 PM   #71
Squidward

Apparently, this is a decent knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4
Old February 25, 2011, 06:08 PM   #72
Single Six

I think of my blades more as tools rather than weapons, but: Yes. I always have a Voyager model on my person. As an aside, Cold Steel is the only brand I buy. Anytime someone gives me a knife as a present, if it's not from Lynn Thompson and Company, I smile, say "Thank you so much"...and promptly re-gift. I've made lots of less discerning knife guys happy over the years.