The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2001, 03:50 PM   #1
idaho-ar15

Baikal shotgun question

I'm looking at a baikal at the local shop, its a 12 gauge o/u. The salesmen that work their don't know much, we couldn't find the barrel selector switch on the gun. The guys working their thought that there wasn't one, you just pulled the single trigger and it would shoot one barrel, then the other. Is this true?? Seems like kind of a waste to not be able to use two different choke systems.
This looks like a great shotgun for kicking around in the field.

thanks in advance.

idaho-ar15
Old July 25, 2001, 04:05 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

If I recall correctly, I did a thread on one of these a few months ago. One of the guys I know showed up at the trap range with one in 410. He said he liked its feel, but he had to take it apart and handlap all the parts to smooth it up.

When it went off, he usually managed to hit what he shot at, but there were lots of misfires.

Some O/Us are non selective,single trigger models. Usually for trap, they fire the bottom bbl first, then the top.

The reason good doubles of either kind are expensive is that it takes lots of handwork to regulate the bbls, getting them to hit where they are supposed to. Inexpensive double guns usually do not have any regulation. Unless you just can't live without one right now, I'd save up a bit more and go for a used Browning or Beretta.
Old July 25, 2001, 04:08 PM   #3
idaho-ar15

This would just be a knock around gun, i've got 3 browning and sometimes I just cringe taking them into the field. For the money they look like a superb shotgun.

thanks for the info. I did a search before posting and found your thread, very informative.

thanks
idaho-ar15
Old July 25, 2001, 04:45 PM   #4
BigG

I looked at a Baikal and a lot of other ones. Are you sure there is not a crossbolt thru the trigger. Can't remember.

I'll tell you one thing though, I bought a new Baikal in 308 X 308 and I would buy another in a heartbeat. Good, solid, and worth more than the price. I would suspect the 12 ga would be the same.

Another place to look would be the safety. Sometimes they move side to side as well as back and forth. HTH
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 25, 2001, 05:07 PM   #5
idaho-ar15

bigG, thanks for the advice, I didn't look very closely at the trigger. I did mess with the thumb safety but I thought if I pushed any harder to the side I'd be buying a busted gun!!!

idaho-ar15
Old July 25, 2001, 06:09 PM   #6
johnbt

I looked at two of the basic O/U Baikals a while back and can't remember any of the details. Their site doesn't mention bbl. selection one way or the other on the basic IZH-27M, but does on other O/Us.

www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/rifle/izh27m/

The man who had the two I handled had just come in from shooting clays with one and was impressed, but then he had them for sale at $424. OTOH, he used to shoot competitively and his shotgun collection numbers in the hundreds and hundreds. The Baikals were nice, but didn't compare to his fancy Browning

John
Old July 26, 2001, 12:53 AM   #7
Cthulhu

If I recall correctly, barrel selection on the single trigger models is accomplished by pressing the trigger forward until it clicks. This reverses the firing sequence to top bottom, until you break it open and push the lever all the way to the right. Seemed to be a nicely made gun when I inspected one at the shop, but my O/U knowledge is limited to a relatives well-used Browning Superposed.
Old July 26, 2001, 09:41 PM   #8
dog1

Yes, you switch barrels by pushing the trigger forward. I love my baikal and have put alot of rounds through it and it is still going strong.
Old July 27, 2001, 12:41 AM   #9
Gary H

Were these the same guns that the Russians used thirty years ago to go Gold at the Olympics, or did they use one-off guns?