The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 22, 2000, 08:14 PM   #1
Hueco

First, I too want to get started in it. I have a couple of .22 LRs and a .22 Mag. I'd love to use the mag, as it has a 8-32 power scope, but I am sure I will get an overwhelming load of "use the .22 LRs!" I have one old marlin semi, and an older single shot. The Mag is an 882SS. I suppose, my questions are -- range for the LR vs the Mag, and where to shoot with the Mag? I know headshots are used by the LR, what about the Mag?

Hueco
Old April 22, 2000, 08:59 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Cottontails?

If you're shooting for eating, shoot the head. If you're shooting for dog food, it doesn't matter.

For more reliable one-shot kills, I'd think about 50 yards on the regular .22; 75 yards on the mag. With a rest and a scope you might extend this.

For running bunnies at 10 to 25 yards, you can get on the target better with the iron sights. The field of view restriction of a scope can create problems. For sitting bunnies, use what you're best with.

All this is just generalizing, so go and find out what works for you and the type of country you'll be playing in.

And have fun, Art
Old April 22, 2000, 09:12 PM   #3
deanf

We have good luck at rabbits when deer hunting. Driving down to camp in the evening, they just sit along side the logging road. You spot them, stop, get out with the .410, and shoot them in the head. They rarely run. They almost always just sit there and let you shoot them.

------------------
"Anyone feel like saluting the flag which the strutting ATF and FBI gleefully raised over the smoldering crematorium of Waco, back in April of ‘93?" -Vin Suprynowicz
Old April 23, 2000, 03:30 PM   #4
Hueco

Yup, cottontails. Every once in a while, I'll spot a monster-sized one around where I live. For some reason, they tend to get pretty large here (hmm, there is a reasearch park near by...maybe they got loose!). As far as country, flat -- very flat. Most likely be doing the majority of my shooting along and into tree/brush lines from a clearing.

Hueco
Old April 25, 2000, 11:19 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

My weapon of choice would be a 36 caliber 1851 Navy cap and ball revolver. Loaded with 24 grains of 3fg. That will collect all the cottontails I care to munch on.
Old April 26, 2000, 07:23 PM   #6
Ash

Hueco,

My Dad and I have been shooting rabbits in Australia for a long time (23+ years for me and 55+ for the old man)

Our current setups are as follows

Brno (CZ) Mod. 2 and 2E .22LR
Tasco 4x32 scope
PMC Zapper ammo

Both rifles are sighted 1cm (about 1/2 an inch)high at 40 metres.

We either walk through tussock grass and flush the little suckers (BTW, I never bother taking a running shot, they will almost always 'stop & prop' at the mouth of their burrow.) or belly up to a log and pick them off their warrens.

Whichever method you use, go for the head, as they do have an annoying tendancy to kick their way down the hole if you hit them anywhere else.

Have fun.

Ash