The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 12:24 PM   #51
Cheapshooter

Don't know If location has anything to do with it, but my brother-in-law who lives in Tn. has told me of some pretty good prices he's seen in GM throughout the South, and Midwest.
I was looking forward to one planned in my area, but it has been scratched.
When I do buy firearms from Cabela's or BPS it has been items on sale, and I have had lots of reward points, and gift cards to bring the cost to me well below what I could get antwhere else.

Not to get political, but with Bass Pro using Bank of America as their credit card bank I doubt If I will be buying anything with their card to get points. Nor at their store for that matter.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 11, 2013, 01:40 PM   #52
hdbiker

Gander Mountain

My local Gander will price match other local sports stores,I've done it more than once.They will call the other stores to check price and if its in stock.hdbiker
Old February 11, 2013, 03:28 PM   #53
rlc323

Picked up my first Gander purchase this morning and it went smoothly. I was doing the waiting period time over the weekend, and really did not want to be there when the place was full of newbies.

The store is about 60 miles from home and the counter fellow was actually from my area and we know several people in common. I also shot the breeze with a buddy from our local gunclub who was looking at the ammo. Like old home week there this morning.

So, what I bought was not a super bargain, but not a rip-off either like most on gunbroker these days.

The handgun selection was good, almost every item in the sale flyer was in stock. Ammo was plentiful except .22LR and 9mm. The counter guy said they got a supply of .22LR on Friday and it was gone in an hour. Who knows why. Ammo prices all about 2 bucks higher per box than WalMart. There was a 2 box limit as well.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:45 PM   #54
USMC EOD

One issue I have always had with Gander Mountain is that even before this crazy run on guns and ammo, they would send out an ad that shows good prices on ammo, but then they would have none in stock for the duration of the sale. For this reason alone, I don't have much respect for this store.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:14 PM   #55
meanmachine1961

We have a new Gander that opened up before X-mas last year. They claim to have the largest selection of guns in the state. In their sale paper they claim to stock 4000 guns. It may be true as they have quite the selection but their prices are definetly on the high side.

I bought a Sig 2022 that was within $20.00 of Buds online price, but other than that I haven't found anything else to buy. On most guns they are higher than the small gunshops in the area, sometimes by as much as $100.00. Right now they have a CZ75b in stainless that I would love to have but asking price is $800.00
Old February 11, 2013, 09:10 PM   #56
a7mmnut

Hit and miss here in NC. The crowds are in line waiting on the doors to open every weekend. Ammo is on and off, but still reasonably priced considering the conditions. AR's are now nonexistent. Glocks are selling like hot cakes at $600 per. I did buy the last 9mm Witness Poly they had two weeks ago for only $349. An incredible deal in a volatile market.

-7-
Old February 11, 2013, 11:11 PM   #57
Eric M.

Last week I picked up a K38 Target Masterpiece made in 1956 just before the Model 14 came into being in 1957. The gun is in pristine condition with Herrett Custom grips. Not a mark on the entire gun. Looks like it was just taken out of the box. They priced it at $550.00. Couldn't get my checkbook out fast enough.
Sometimes deals like this can happen at GM.

I'm one happy Gander customer.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 11, 2013, 11:56 PM   #58
idek

I didn't read every post, so sorry if someone said this already, but it seems that prices aren't necessarily the same from store to store, or maybe they have different local specials or maybe certain stores just make sale items more visible.

I've lived near four different GMs over the years. I really liked two of them. I bought four total guns from them at good prices and sold one (was paid 70% of what I paid new a year earlier, which seemed reasonable). I really disliked the other two and hardly brought anything there...maybe some earmuffs once.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:56 AM   #59
Eric M.

I think that you hit it right on the mark idek.
Seems like all Gander Mountain stores have a different personality.
Some good, some not so good.

Eric
Old February 12, 2013, 09:38 AM   #60
dajowi

Never been to a GM. From what I've heard about their prices, they've lost a customer they never had.

Prices are up every where. A friend bought a Bersa Thunder 9 for $519. That's pretty high in my estimation.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:54 PM   #61
CSHammond

My local Gander actually had Beretta Nano's for $399.00 last week. I was one of 2 that bought them and another guy was waiting to look at one. It was $40 cheaper than the gun show price, so glad I didnt buy it then.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:54 PM   #62
Brotherbadger

I'll go for gander for small stuff, but i wouldn't buy a gun from them.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:57 PM   #63
LarryFlew

Our Goose Hill claims to be the largest gun store in the state so it is a great place to look and feel and then run across the hwy and buy from LGS there with good prices.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:29 PM   #64
WiscBuckmaster

Why do so many people waste their time bashing a store they dont like? I have been buying hunting clothes/gear from gander for years and they always have the best selection. Its worth the upcharge to me to go to just one place for everything i need instead of driving to multiple stores and ending up paying more money with the extra gas you will use. Gander and cabelas get my business. But if you dont like it so much why does everyone feel the need to bash them? Put your effort into supporting your local store, sheesh.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:46 PM   #65
Eric M.

It is the internet ninjas Buckmaster.

Head to toe, I'm normally wearing cloths that I get from Gander. Even dress stuff. Better quality than other places.
Just have to know prices like anywhere else.
I've purchased many guns from Gander, but I know prices, and what I am buying.

Every gun that I own and that is many, has been deemed junk by some forums. Typical report is that a friend fired the gun and the front sight flew off. Seems to happen all of the time I guess.

HuntingNut forum is were I'm at for real intelligent information.

It is fun though.

Eric
Old February 17, 2013, 07:49 PM   #66
christcorp

When it comes to guns; Gander Mountain is the biggest RIP OFF there is. If you don't think so; then fine. I won't debate it. I have bought more guns than I can count, and I've bought them from just about every imaginable source. Gander Mountain is the MOST EXPENSIVE. They are a rip off.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:33 PM   #67
WiscBuckmaster

Thats fine. But why do you insist to cry about it over the internet?
Old February 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #68
seeker_4

It's the product of the time. I was looking for 2 particular handguns and finally found them at Ganders Mountain... about $95 higher than here, but they had them. I was not at all happy paying that much more, but they had them. They sent them to an FFL dealer local and all went great. Nearest Gander over 400 miles from here. A friend liked mine and wanted one... but they were sold out there as well. When they got em back in, they were $135 higher, he argued and they sold them out too. He just bought one from them... $230 more than they were 3 months ago. Right now I believe every dealer is laughing all the way to the bank.
Reno just had a big gun show this weekend.... those guys are getting it while they can, in case they can't later, and had plenty of buyers. Can't blame them, but the buyers sure quit smiling.
I think the dealers should give that guy a huge trophy for being the best salesman in the country.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:12 PM   #69
Eric M.

I've picked up quite a few really good used guns from Gander, at some great prices.
Not all of the time, but once in a while, a really nice used gun gets through the price book, and is for sale really cheep.
You have to be ready to make the deal real quick when this happens.
Like I said, a couple of weeks ago they had the K38 Target Masterpiece for sale with the book price of the regular newer Model 14. Looking at the serial number, I new that it was pre 14 and in pretty much mint condition with custom Herrett grips.
I jumped on that one real fast.
I agree with all of the guys talk of high prices, but if you know what you are doing you will do OK there. Also their cloths are to me, the best.

I guess it's all what you are looking for.

Eric
Old February 17, 2013, 10:37 PM   #70
WiscBuckmaster

Its one thing if they burned you for example if the price tag and the cash register show differnt numbers or falsely advertise deals which i have never experienced there. Their prices are advertised if you dont like them then dont go there. They also price match if you bring in an ad from a different store. I got a $160 pair of rockys last winter for $59.99 because they matched an ad i brought in. I usually stick with danner for boots, but for that price i was sold. They definately do have the best selection for clothes for the outdoors around, same with cabelas. The GM in my area has sales every week, and a few times a year store-wide sales. I've bought most of my scentlok and other high value hunting clothes for bargain brand prices from GM throughout the years.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:24 AM   #71
thedudeabides

In Central Florida where people either aren't aware of the existence of the internet, or prefer to buy "layaway" Gander loves to sell for 200-300 over MSRP.

Finally found some New Agents, the "cheapest" was 1200, close to 250 over the 959 I saw on Impact guns a few months ago.

They also love to sell UMC 45 for 34.99. The same crap that surfaces at Wally World briefly for 19.99... before it sells out.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:45 PM   #72
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Why do so many people waste their time bashing a store they dont like?
Nor intend to even try!

Quote:
Never been to a GM. From what I've heard about their prices, they've lost a customer they never had.
It's one thing if you have a political disagreement with how a company does business. Like I now have with Bass Pro Shop because of their connection with highly anti-second amendment Bank of America. But just because you heard, or read on a forum their prices are too high isn't a reason to not check them out yourself. Sales, and other incentives can make them very competitive with others in any area.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 18, 2013, 03:56 PM   #73
James K
Member In Memoriam

I patronize none of the big sporting goods chains for firearms or ammunition or accessories. I would prefer to buy at local shops where they know me and consider me a friend, not just a wallet walking through the door. Some of those big stores have informed clerks but for the most part they are both ignorant and arrogant, IMHO the worst combination there is.

Jim
Old February 18, 2013, 04:05 PM   #74
m&p45acp10+1

The nearest GM to my location is out of the way for me. There are a couple of times I pass by that area, and stop in. I agree that the gun prices are beyond high for what I have seen the times I went in. The reloading components were beyond rediculous in price. I do by fishing stuff from there if it is something I can not find at any of the local stores.

In the end I have the say so in what I spend my money on. If I do not like the prices of an establishment I shop elsewhere. So as far as gun related items at GM I do not buy anything they sell at way too high of a price.
Old February 18, 2013, 04:18 PM   #75
munson1

Gander Mtn. & Dicks

They are both over priced on everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your much better off getting a FFL & see then what you save. The only reason these places are in business is credit cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken