The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Mavrik

Roosting Turkeys?

I'm looking for a little advice on how to hunt Turkeys as they come off their roost in the morning. Tomorrow's the last day of the fall Turkey season here (for me at least since I won't be able to go Mon) and after not seeing any all month I finally saw a group late this afternoon.

I could have taken a shot at one but it would have been an iffy shot at best (he needed to take about 3 more steps forward from where he was) so I passed on it, but I digress.

Anyway as it was late in the afternoon/early evening I hung around to see if I could tell where they were going to roost for the night since I was hoping they hadn't gone far where I had spotted them. Fortunately, they didn't, and I know where they roosted for the night.

The question is best to hunt them tomorrow morning, aside from getting out there real early . I suppose what I'm really asking here is whether I should try to get as close as possible to their roost site where they might drop down nearly directly from the tree they're in, or should I set up some distance away because they might fly for a bit before landing.

As a note: the second possibility happened to me last year, although in that case I didn't know exactly where they were the night before but did have a general idea. I just got lucky in that three of them (out of about 8) flew about 100-300yrds from the tree they were in and landed about 35yrds in front of me. I just don't know how typical that may or may not have been.

Additional relevant information is that Turkey seasons are shotgun only (I use a Ithaca Mag 10) and I limit myself to 35-40yrds for a clean shot. Also either sex is legal here for fall season and I'm not opposed to taking a hen.

Thanks for any information

Mav

Last edited by Mavrik; October 29, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old October 30, 2011, 02:04 PM   #2
bejay

did you have any luck?
I generally try to bust up the group well before daylight and then start calling about daylight to try to call one in, this generally only works with younger birds, setting up where you think they may come down is probably the next best option if you can get close without busting them up.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:08 PM   #3
bamaranger

classic

The fall classic is to bust the flock and call them back.

I would have been tempted to bust them that evening and be back in there before daylight the next AM.

But..... Typically birds will fly out on the short.....uphill side of ridge if its hill country. Or..........they may have a "landing zone" in mind already for the AM, a field, roadway, creek bank, etc.

At this point I'd get as close as I'd dare and see what happens. If they bust off the roost you are in call back mode right off. If they do not bust and start coming down nearby, you may call one up resultant. You can try and bust'em once there down if that doesn't work.

Never had any trouble gettting up in the AM if I knew where turkeys were on a limb!

Good luck, post us back!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 31, 2011, 10:33 PM   #4
JerryM

When I knew where they were roosting I set up 75 yards or so away and called before they came off the roost. Then as he gobbled I answered softly. I was always successful.
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.