The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Xyas

Getting my first shotgun

So I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defense (it was between this and an ar15...shotgun is much more cheaper and versatile I feel so that's why I am going with it). I was thinking either mossberg 500 or a remington 870 and I have several questions.

Are there different types of a mossberg 500 and remington 870? Which ones are better than the others (within their own respective brands). I see names like mariner (i think?) being mentioned. What's that mean?

I was going to get a shotgun with an 18.5 inch or 20 inch barrel. I was also going to get an extended mag. Is there anything else I should consider getting for a home defense shotgun? What accessories? Are those special recoil pads necessary for a shotgun (i'd be shooting it at the range a lot too).

What about ammo? I'll be using 00 buck. Besides testing every one of them to see which one groups best in my new shotgun...is there anything else I should choose ammo wise? I've seen plated, non-plated etc. Any recommendations there?

Forgive me for the basic questions. I only shot a shotgun once - years ago. I appreciate any and all help, recommendations, comments, and just general talk about these shotguns etc.

Thanks!
Old July 5, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Sphawley

Considering ammo check this out they are awesome...

It's Winchesters PDX1 12 gauge load, It has a 1 oz rifled slug w/ 00 buck pellets in front of it.

I just saw this in one of the other threads the other day...

I have never shot this but will definetly do well in the home defense area
Old July 5, 2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Darth-gamer

For a HD shotgun you really don't need anything fancy. Some people will claim you need a tactical stock and top of the line red dot and the works. Not really. For a good HD shotgun just grab a Mossberg 500 (I prefer Mossberg after having shot both many times, but there is nothing wrong with Remington) with an 18.5" barrel and that is really all you need. You MAY want to add things like a flashlight or pistol grip but it isn't necessary. 00 buck is more than enough for HD and is often though of as the best HD round of any firearm. There are different types of Rem 870s and Mossberg 500s, but you should be concerned with the barrel length if you are talking HD. You don't need an extended mag for a HD shotgun. The Mossberg mariner types are just more expensive because they have a different coating on the barrel/receiver. I am by no means an expert on shotguns, but the subject of home defense I have done a lot of research on.
Old July 5, 2010, 04:27 AM   #4
Nathan

IMO a Mossy 500 or 590 with an 18.5 barrel and shortened LOP would be great. For my money, a light and some kind of on gun spare ammo holder would be a must. That is it. For get about fancy sights, combat slings, etc.

I have the auto. The trick is the 870's have way more accesories available, so you kind of need to think it through in advance.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:48 AM   #5
noyes

Once you buy the shotgun .. than it's shells , shells and more shells for practice , practice and more practice. Forget about that add on junk.

Any of the HD shotguns with screw in chokes will be a BIG plus for tunability . For different types of ammo use. It will turn it into a do it all type shotgun.

CHOKE for tunability with all shot sizes.

Shotgun FIT notice stock fitted for me.

Does it all with PRACTICE , hunting , clays , HD etc.

Last edited by noyes; July 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old July 5, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6
EdInk

I suggest you handle both the 870 and 590 in the store. I was planning on a 590 until I compared the 870. The action was smoother and it felt better balanced. If you care, it is the most widespread LE shotgun. FWIW, the military issues the 590. I don't care about either, because they BOTH buy on price and politics. I suggest the 870HD based on personal preference. You have an 18" and 6rd tube. Regardless, of what brand you opt for, I suggest one with somekind of stock.
Old July 5, 2010, 01:10 PM   #7
zippy13

Quote:
So I'm thinking of getting a shotgun for home defenseā€¦

I only shot a shotgun once - years ago.
May I suggest that your get some gun time before you make any decisions -- including the decision to get a shotgun for HD. There are those of us with significant investments in our shotgun collections and 100,000s of rounds of experience who choose handguns as our go to guns for HD.

Go to a local clays club and rent, borrow or beg as many different entry level guns as possible. Although not widely advertised, my club loans 870 Wingmasters, just leave your DL with the rangemaster. Many clubs have similar policies -- check around in your area.

Some of the differences between the R-870 and M-500 have to do with the ergonomics: where is the safety catch and the action release, what's the shape of the stock and for end. Endless verbiage is no substitute for trigger time. You have to use both guns to learn which suits you best, and don't let your decision be governed by a minor difference in price.

If you get a shotgun for HD, then you're committed to train with it -- otherwise you might as well just get a baseball bat. IMHO, instead of getting a Rambo-wannabe/tacti-cool gun, consider a combo (one with long and short barrels). With HD and sporting barrels, you'll find your training more enjoyable. And, combo packages are often attractively priced compared to buying a separate extra barrel. There are many more trap and skeet clubs than tactical training ranges open to the public. Good luck in your quest.
Old July 5, 2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Bones

A-Men Zippy,

I started with a 870 (Barrel with rifle sights), after watching the local USPA 3 gun matches. It may not be as fast as the 1100 (different class), but it is, almost, as fast.

After a while I fell in with some skeet guys and picked up a 26" target barrel (New). It was great fun. I soon ran across a 30" fixed full choke with a rib (Used) and Trap soon became my first love. I went from 870 with 1 1/8 oz. field loads to a Browning BT99 with 7/8 oz. of #8. I still have the 870, but I leave the org. barrel on it, keep it in the closet ready to go.