The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2016, 06:55 PM   #1
ccowboy

Puffed out case

I am working up loads for 45 colt. I had a case swell at its base slightly upon firing. It was the second round I fired out of 5 with this particular load. Numbers 1 and 3-5 were normal and felt normal going off. I was using a Uberti Colt clone. The ammo components were as follows: Winchester cases (2nd firing on these), Remington large pistol primers (not magnums), and 200 gn RNFP bullets on top of 5.3 gns of titegroup. It was my starting load and I increased it from there a tenth gn at a time up to middle of load range where I stopped (maybe 5.9 or 6.0 gns). Since it was 1 round out of 5, I can think of 2 possibilities: 1) an over-charge or, 2) too tight of a crimp.

I would have thought a double charge would have destroyed the gun. I could see no damage on the cylinder and the case did not split. I did have some issues seating/crimping the bullet and might have seated it or crimped it too tight (is that possible?). I'm asking for any ideas on what might have happened. I'm fairly new to reloading and want to do things correctly and safely. I have done some smokeless and BP reloading in 38 special and this has not happened to me through testing loads and loading/shooting over 150 of those rounds.

Can any of you experienced reloaders out there give me an idea what might have happened?

Next time I'm weighing charges after adding powder but before seating the bullet.
Old January 6, 2016, 07:09 PM   #2
steve4102

Quote:
, and 200 gn RNFP bullets on top of 5.3 gns of titegroup.
Sure about that, is that a typo, did you mean 300gr bullet?

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
Old January 6, 2016, 10:53 PM   #3
ccowboy

It was a 200 gn bullet. That's all I had out on the table.
Old January 6, 2016, 11:00 PM   #4
ccowboy

I was using info from the Lyman Load Data booklet for Popular Revolver Calibers. Bullet was about .452". Not sized, but fits the "bullet end" of my cylinder.
Old January 6, 2016, 11:28 PM   #5
chris in va

According to my Lyman manual, none of your loads are even starting loads. I show a 200gr LSWC 6.1-6.8max.

You have a pic of the case bulge?
Old January 7, 2016, 04:33 AM   #6
hartcreek

Are these new Winchester cases of found cases? The reason I ask is I found some .45 Winchester cases in a box of stuff that I purchased as a LGS. Since I do not load .45 Colt I gave them to the store owner as they were folded rim black powder cases........
Old January 7, 2016, 07:09 AM   #7
mehavey

Folded/balloon-Rim Cases would be an archeological artifact these days.
As far as I know, no one has made them for 50 years (Others chime in here
w/ different data)

As to a case "bulging," there's no place to "bulge" to in a cylindrical SAA cylinder
beyond that of the cylinder wall itself. Did the OP mark that particular chamber
and look afterward to see if that chamber itself was out-of-round?

Postscript Notes @ crimp:

"Crimp"
- Light crimp: 1/4 turn past case mouth contact
- Medium crimp: 1/2 turn past case mouth contact
- Hvy crimp: 2/3-3/4 turn past case mouth contact
(YMMV. This is but a start on EZ definition)

Does the bullet you are using have a crimp groove? (If not, you should not
attempt anything but a very light crimp, and in two steps (Seat. Then crimp)

If the bullet does have a crimp groove, use no more that a medium crimp
using THIS PROCESS to set the die for 1-step.

Last edited by mehavey; January 7, 2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old January 7, 2016, 09:38 AM   #8
steve4102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowboy
It was a 200 gn bullet. That's all I had out on the table.
According to Hodgdon, Start 6.5gr Max 7.7gr Tightgroup for 200gr Bullet in 45 Colt.

You are way, way under Minimum.

Where did you get your load data from?
Old January 7, 2016, 11:16 AM   #9
F. Guffey

Quote:
might have seated it or crimped it too tight (is that possible?).
Not for me, I want all the crimp/bullet hold I can get. The most unread book I know of is a book written by R. Lee about modern reloading. Bullets have been staked in the case, some claim the bullet has been welded by time, then there is the story from Aberdeen MD. Seems the story says it took 500+ pounds of pull to remove bullets.

R. Lee says the pressure rise is so fast the difference between a light crimp and my favorite crimp makes little to no difference. Then there are bench resters, I do not have any superstitions or favorite socks, I want all the bullet hold I can get.

Again, I can not measure neck tensions, I can measure bullet hold in pounds.

I have weighed components as in the weight of the bullet, case, powder and primer. Logic tells me I should be able to weight my reloaded ammo to determine if I have a case with an under charge of power, or if the powder charge is all the came or if I have too much powder in any one case. “Must have been a double charge” there is no excuse for that response.

F. Guffey
Old January 7, 2016, 11:45 PM   #10
ccowboy

I will try to answer the questions that have been asked. The loading data came from the Lyman booklet in photos 1 and 2.

Photo 3 is a picture of the case. The bulge occurred during its second firing (first reload). There are no splits in the case. The bulge goes half way around the case. The chambers in the cylinder all measured .482 - .483. I measured 2 directions in each chamber 90 degrees apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg source.JPG (88.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg loads.JPG (108.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Cat 3.JPG (95.1 KB, 93 views)
Old January 7, 2016, 11:50 PM   #11
ccowboy

Also, the 200 grain bullet has a crimping groove.
Old January 8, 2016, 12:14 AM   #12
mehavey

That particular chamber apparently has a slightly oversize diameter,
so that particular case expanded just ahead of the thicker web.

Check-6: Does any other cartridge in that cylinder do the same thing?

NOTE: My `94 Marlin/rifle does the same thing as pressures rise, since that portion of the chamber is slightly oversize to assist feeding.
Old January 8, 2016, 01:34 AM   #13
ccowboy

I've fired between 150 and 200 rounds through it and this is the only time it has happened. The recoil on this round was noticeably heavier than any of the other 4 rounds.

I had worked up 10 - 15 other loads to fire. None of the other trial loads had a round that felt this much different than the others in the string. This was also the minimum load according to the Lyman loading chart I was going by. So I worked my way up to some heavier loads 1/10 grain of powder at a time. I stopped at or just past mid-way on the range of powder weights that were listed. I wasn't looking for a hot load. Just something accurate and I know from reading that often this load can usually be found somewhere in the low to mid range.
Old January 8, 2016, 03:13 AM   #14
noylj

I can tell you that I have found that TiteGroup throws pressure spikes and often throws them in light charges (or low pressure charges) in large cases and only "settles" down as you get near the max load.
The two other powders I have found that don't always behave well are N310 and Clays.
I don't consider TiteGroup a really great powder and it is best left for use by Action Pistol shooters who want max number of rounds for a pound of powder and don't have any concerns about one-hole accuracy at 25 yards or longer--nor for use with lead or coated-lead bullets.
I have no idea why folks blame crimp. The variation in crimp is only noticed, or thought to be noticed, in extremely accurate rifle shooting at long distances and has nothing to do with pistols. For pistols, the very slight variation from case length I have found is really not an issue in roll crimping and not even an imaginable problem for taper crimping. Unless your die was changing it setting as you loaded, crimping is so far down the list of possibilities as to be ruled out.
Next, the REALLY likely candidate is an error in weighing or metering your charge or, even, powder placement in the case at the time of firing. I know that we all consider ourselves perfect, but HUMAN-error is about 98% of all problems.
Old January 8, 2016, 06:33 AM   #15
LE-28

Did you full length resize that case? I'm looking at the line 2/3 of the way up the case and wondering what it's from. I'm also noticed that the mouth of the case is flared as if your ready to reload it again. Is your re-sizing die screwed down to touch the shell holder on your press? Just wondering.
Old January 8, 2016, 09:09 AM   #16
mehavey

CCOWBOY...

I have a (possibly really dumb) question:
What is the diameter of the puffed-out case immediately above the extractor groove, as compared to the other/normal cases ?

Last edited by mehavey; January 8, 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old January 8, 2016, 10:05 AM   #17
F. Guffey

Quote:
Postscript Notes @ crimp:

"Crimp"
- Light crimp: 1/4 turn past case mouth contact
- Medium crimp: 1/2 turn past case mouth contact
- Hvy crimp: 2/3-3/4 turn past case mouth contact
(YMMV. This is but a start on EZ definition)

Then there are those that believe crimping is a bad habit, then there are those that believe seating the bullet and crimping is a bad habit. Then there are those that understand threads and the incline plane. Most of my dies have 14 threads per inch. That means every one turns raises or lowers the die .0714+, ¾ turn equals.0535”.

I crimp pistol bullets; my crimp is nothing more than a hint of a crimp. Then there are old reloading manuals, one suggest crimping is a bad habit because the crimp can reduce bullet hold. I am the fan of bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get.

F. Guffey
Old January 8, 2016, 10:13 AM   #18
F. Guffey

I do not see a puffed out case. A puffed out case and a case that formed to the cylinder are different. I have a blind end micrometer and I have old transfers. Transfers? I use transfers when I do not have access with other means.

F. Guffey
Old January 8, 2016, 01:09 PM   #19
BBarn

Since you noticed a difference when the round went off, there was likely greater pressure. This is also supported by greater case bulge compared to the other rounds you noted.

Since the intended load fell within Hodgdon’s recommended range for light cast bullet loads (5.0 to 6.7 gr.), I would guess an overcharge. That seems more likely than a variation in crimp or seating depth.

Hodgdon also lists a 200 gr. JHP load of Titegroup at a max of 10.8 gr (for 1433 fps. at 38400 CUP). So even a double charge of Titegroup may not have blown up the gun.

In my experience, the level of case bulge pictured is not unusual for a mid to heavy 44 Mag load. Light loads like those you were following will generally produce very little, if any, noticeable case bulge.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking 44Mag. So most of my comments beyond the first paragraph should be disregarded.

Last edited by BBarn; January 8, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 9, 2016, 11:46 AM   #20
F. Guffey

I do not see a bulge; I see a case head that is smaller in diameter than the case body. The case body I see does not have a bulge; I see a straight wall case that conformed to the chamber when fired.

Two different diameters on one case is not a bulge. I believe I could undersize the full length of the case then fire to duplicate the perceived problem. Then there is that other possibility, if the case is not centered the case can have what some would consider a bulge. Meaning the two diameters of the case as in the case head and case body could confuse the shooter into thinking the case was bulged.

F. Guffey
Old January 9, 2016, 03:21 PM   #21
us920669

Is it possible that the gun didn't index right one time? Were all the pin strikes on the primer the same? Was there shaved lead around the cone?
Old January 12, 2016, 01:07 AM   #22
ccowboy

I haven't been able to respond in a couple of days so I'll try to catch up.

noylj, I find the pressure spike idea interesting. I found some threads on other forums that mentioned the same thing. How frequently do these spikes occur? How close to the max load does it settle down? I've seen the titegroup spike thing mentioned in other threads.

LE-28, that line is from resizing for the first reload I fired from this box of 50 rounds. Should I fully resize my cases all the time? I have not resized or de-primed this case since firing, nor have I flared the mouth of the case.

I could not afford a big reloading rig. I've been doing it by hand with a Lyman 310 tool and dies, and I enjoy this process. I hope tol invest in something bigger when I am more comfortable with the process.

Mehavey, I have not compared the measurements of the case in question with the others from that load. The case in question looks and feels larger than any of the other cases I've shot up to this point.

Guffey, I had not considered forming to the chamber. The recoil indicated to me that it may have been heavy enough to cause this, but I don't know because I've not had a .38, a .357, or a .45 do this before. I had not thought about the round not being centered in the chamber. I measured the chambers and included that info above. All dimensions were within .001". All cases fell out mostly or completely except for the one with the "bulge" which came out with a little push from the ejector rod.

I have thought about what might have happened over and over again. If there is any chance I've lost track of the amount of powder I loaded I pour it back into my powder cup and weigh out the charge again. But the only thing I can think of is that some how, I allowed a heavier charge than I was loading to go in that particular cartridge, or the tite group charge was low enough that it allowed one of those pressure spikes to occur. The former cause is on me and reminds me to double check everything. I don't know what to do about the later possible cause other than to make sure I use a tite group charge closer to the top end of the allowable charges, or I quit using it with 200 gn bullets or quit using it for this altogether.

Can any of you give me some advice based on your experience in reloading? Is Tite group a good powder to use for mid range smokeless loads? Is there a better powder to use? I also have Trail Boss, Unique, Universal, and Bullseye powders available. Any advice about reusing that particular case? Thanks!
Old January 12, 2016, 06:58 AM   #23
mehavey

Cowboy....

1. Mark the case with red nail polish and put it on the shelf.

2. Unique and Universal are two of the best mid-range 45 Colt powders there are -- for 255g bullets. Go with Bullseye for light bullets/lighter loads.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-for-45-Colt&

3. (and most important)
....a. Charge all the cases at once/put them in a loading block before any seating.
....b. Look at the powder levels in each line of cases at a slight angle in strong light. The edge of the powder should be at the same location against the case interior for each case.
Old January 12, 2016, 09:10 AM   #24
F. Guffey

Most important?

Quote:
3. (and most important)
....a. Charge all the cases at once/put them in a loading block before any seating.
....b. Look at the powder levels in each line of cases at a slight angle in strong light. The edge of the powder should be at the same location against the case interior for each case.

The saddest words of verse or pen or typing at the key board is; “It must have been a double charge”. This happens after a reloader has followed all of the instructions. The last chance a reloader has to catch a mistake is before pulling the trigger.

I suggest a reloader know the weight of the components, when finished the reloader should know the total weight of the case, powder, bullet and primer. Before pulling the trigger any case that that exceeds the total weight of the components has too much powder.

F. Guffey
Old January 12, 2016, 06:25 PM   #25
ccowboy

I was checking random completed rounds for weight. Now, besides checking visually, I'll check weights on all rounds. If the heavier recoil wasn't due to a pressure spike, then I was over enough to make a substantial difference in recoil because I felt it. I've fired 200 gn and 250 gn LFN bullets out of it with full cases of black powder and it wasn't any worse than that. But it was heavier than it should have been with the amount of powder I was using in those 5 titegroup cartridges. I'm going to be more diligent and cautious while reloading. Thanks for the input. My next question is how often will tite group spike? Do I even need to be using titegroup?