The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 04:50 PM   #1
BDD8

Beretta 92FS vs Taurus PT92

How similar are the two pistols? Besides the fact that the 92FS looks to have a nicer finish and has it's manual safety on the slide. I would love to see Beretta put it on the frame in a future version like Taurus.

Is the build quality comparable? Or, is the 92FS MUCH better? More reliable & accurate. I mean, most of us know Taurus bought the Brazil plant (w/ workers) from Beretta. Same machines...etc. Or were there proprietary features Beretta took with them when they sold the Brazil plant to Taurus?
Old January 15, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Officer's Match

I've used both, and vastly prefer the Taurus.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:08 PM   #3
BDD8

You have no issues with the Taurus? Doesn't feel cheap?

I like the Inox version of the PT92 and as I mentioned I like where Taurus put the safety. Something Beretta should have done. Much more intuitive.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
twobit

The Beretta is the original. The Taurus is the copy. Beretta wins hands down!
Oh...Beretta began making guns in 1526!
Old January 15, 2013, 06:22 PM   #5
SgtLumpy

I've shot the two side by side, extensively. The Beretta felt better, shoots better, has a better fit and finish.

Beretta wins in my book, very clearly, on all counts.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #6
BDD8

I'll probably pick up a FS. The Taurus does look cheapl Having huge TAURUS lettering on the side doesn't help. Besides, the price difference for me is only $60.00. Chump change.

With my luck. I'll buy the 92FS and the next year Beretta will move the safety onto the frame a la Taurus PT92.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Officer's Match

I'd pay more for a Taurus PT92 than I would for a 92FS. The slide mounted safety is a deal breaker for me.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #8
BDD8

The slide mounted safety isn't a deal breaker for me. A quirk I could live with. that and the counter-intuitive way you have to move the safety lever UP to take it out of safety.

COME ON Beretta!! Make the change!!! ....BEFORE I buy my 92FS
Old January 15, 2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Leejack

Shot them side by side for a long time.

PT92

To the OP: go with what you like not with what the majority say. The majority will say Beretta. The majority isn't always right, look who the majority elected in November.

Great guns both.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Beretta builds quality firearms. Taurus is pretty hit or miss with their quality across the board.

If it were me, and if this was my primary gun, I wouldn't even consider buying the Taurus. While they might seem like a great bargain, if you get a bad one it will end up costing you a lot more in the long run than buying the Beretta would have in the first place. Trust me, I know this from experience...

Good luck.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:33 PM   #11
adamc

0% experience with taurus.

i did pick up an Inox SS 92FS this weekend

not that I'm biased
Old January 15, 2013, 08:17 PM   #12
Guv

92 has a nice double action trigger, use the safety just as a decocker. Never seen a Brazilian Ferrari!
Old January 15, 2013, 08:31 PM   #13
BDD8

I've always been partial to Beretta's 92FS. Long before I knew Taurus made their version in the PT92. I have also heard about the iffy reliability of the PT. Just wondered what you guys thought. What your experiences have been (or lack of).

Don't know why Taurus has to cheapen the look of their pistols and revolvers with HUGE lettering. TAURUS on the PT and RAGING BULL on the side of the barrel of their 44 Mag.

I've heard nothing but good things about the 92FS. I think I'll play it safe and go with my gut feeling. I had always wanted to try a 92FS any how. If only they would have moved the safety on to the frame a la PT92.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by BDD8; January 15, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Guv

I agree the Large Print on the Taurus does detract from what would be a nice looking gun. I have a 92 and 96 INOX but wouldn't mind a stainless Taurus, I think the price difference isn't enough to justify the Brazilian. Did I say justify, Justified is on tonight!
Old January 15, 2013, 09:54 PM   #15
oldandslow

bd, 1/16/13

I have the Taurus PT-99, the adjustable sight model of the PT-92. I also have a Beretta 92 compact and a 8045 mini-cougar. I had trouble with the rear sight of the Taurus falling off during shooting as the roll pin would walk out. I finally filed in a dovetail and mounted a HK-USP fixed sight into the dovetail and had no more problems. The locking block on the Taurus broke at approximately a 3000 round count. Taurus was good at mailing me another one but it took three months. I've put another 2000 rounds through it with no problems.

I've had no problems with either of my two Berettas. Fit and finish are better on the Berettas. Resale value is better on the Berettas. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a used Beretta 92 instead of the Taurus. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old January 15, 2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Yung.gunr

I often hear people complain about the safety location on the FS. Really it is just figuring out how to use it. At first I didn't like it either, I felt I had to reach to get it. Once I figured out how to use it I wouldn't have it any other way.

Additionally I think I like that it is up higher, I'm thinking it has a less chance of accidentally getting disengaged. Just my $0.02 and thinking out loud on the last bit.

If the price difference is only $60 then it is definitely worth the piece of mind to go with the tested and true original.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:53 PM   #17
pete2

I've owned a 92 FS (still got it) and a Taurus PT100. The Taurus wouldn't run 100 rounds without a hang up. The Beretta has had one in many thousand rounds. I prefer the frame mounted safety on the Taurus gun over the slide safety on the Beretta. I would be ok with the Beretta if it was decocker only. The problem with the safety on the Beretta is that sometimes I turn it on after a reload when I release the slide. I would buy another 92 if I run across one of the ones with the decocker only.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Pico

Shot both

I would say the trigger is a bit better on the Beretta but I really like both the frame mounting of the safety and the option to carry cocked and locked on the PT-92 better.

When our local Academy sold the PT-92 for $329 around Thanksgiving, it was a no-brainer for me. In terms of reliability, accuracy, and overall quality, I don't see a huge difference in the two pistols. Both shoot darn good.

Mainly ... for me, the Beretta wasn't $240 better.

Pico
Old January 15, 2013, 10:57 PM   #19
lamarw

What a hook, and it seems to of worked?
Old January 15, 2013, 11:01 PM   #20
Brian48

I've owned two PT-99s over the years. Currently own a Beretta 92. I like both actually. I'd say the Beretta is a bit more polished in terms of fit, but both brands were utterly reliable for me. Accuracy was about the same and feel of the gun was identical. I do prefer the frame mounted safety of the Taurus over the slide safety/decocker of the Beretta though. I would not feel underarmed with either gun.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:24 AM   #21
+1k ammo

If you can get them side by side that would be good for you to decide.

Have pt-99 inox and it does not feel or look cheap. I have no problems with the lettering. Never failed to fire and swallowed some hand loads others including Glocks chocked on (i know not supposed to do reloads in Glock but was just a few).

I do have other Barettas and love them too, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

p.s. - I did buy my Taurus slightly used and hardly paid anything for it, so they don't have good resale as a lot of the above comments are against them, but since I never sell a gun I don't care.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:24 AM   #22
iraiam

I still own both pistols (both blued), the PT92 was new in 1994. it has been a fantastic pistol with more than 20k rounds fired. Th 92FS is about a decade newer, also a fantastic pistol. I also have a pretty new M9.

The Taurus can be carried "cocked and locked", but one thing to watch when drawing and taking the safety off, it is easy to go too far and de-cock it, practice will remedy this.
My Taurus has Pachmayr grips on it, it's old enough that new grips won't fit it because the mounting holes have been re-located a bit on the newer PT's.

It may be old and kind of ugly now due to finish and holster wear, but I absolutley trust my PT-92, as well an my Berettas.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 16, 2013, 05:58 AM   #23
lechiffre

Beretta > Taurus

Having written that, there is nothing wrong with the PT92, it's just that the Beretta is better.

I don't think that this is an opinion, I don't think anyone, having examined them both side by side, could declare the Taurus superior. The Beretta has better fit finish and machining it's that simple.

I can understand preferring the features of the Taurus over those of the the Beretta.

It's all about the safety position. Taurus kept the original position. Beretta moved theirs to the slide.

I do not own either one. I am open to owning either. Even though I believe the Beretta is a bit better, I would rather have an earlier Taurus. One with the non-decocker safety, smaller slide serrations, smaller roll marks, and magazine catch at the trigger guard.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old January 16, 2013, 07:26 AM   #24
1goodshot

The PT92 is 1 of Taurus better guns, it was the first handgun I bought and it never had a problem. I own the Beretta now and like it just as well if not more. I think Beretta use to have a frame mounted saftey years ago.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:36 AM   #25
OkieCruffler

Can't speak to the Beretta but I doubt you'd find many flies on it.
I did buy a Taurus during the black friday sale and as of yesterday I have put 1200 rds thru it, trouble free. Has one of the best triggers I've ever had on a working gun. Well I shouldn't say trouble free, I was having some leading issues when sizing my bullets to .356. Now I'm sizing at .358 and all is well.