The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2004, 11:39 AM   #1
TOTIN45USPCOMPACT

Wilson Combat or Ed Brown?

Looking to buy a custom 1911. So far its between Wilson Combat's Tatical Supergrade and Ed Brown's Classic Custom. Anyone have any experience with these to guns.

Thanks
Old November 8, 2004, 12:18 PM   #2
HappyGunner

From what I have read

It seems there is some problems at Wilson just check the 1911 Forum for details. I understand that some of Wilsons crafters have left and started a new 1911 company http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/index.html
I have not read of any problems at or with Ed Brown products and they seem to be putting out quality 1911s.
Old November 8, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3
mikikanazawa

To chime in on Happy's reply, if you go to the M1911 forums there's a gunsmith advertising his version of the custom 1911, do a search for Fireblade Systems and you'll find it. I haven't shot it, but it looks real nice.

Have you considered the new S&W Performance Center 1911 or the SIG 1911? I've handled the SIG, it's reeeeal nice, definitely should cause Wilson to shave $1,000 from their price (or add another $1,000 in value), IMHO.
Old November 8, 2004, 03:18 PM   #4
dairycreek

I have a Wilson and a SIG GSR!

Both are excellent weapons and accuracy for both is about the same. Almost exactly the same. I paid a $1000 less for the SIG and IMHO got a gun every bit as good as the Wilson. FWIW Good shooting
Old November 8, 2004, 04:03 PM   #5
Tom2

Money bags?

Whew! rich men's toys........
Old November 9, 2004, 03:15 AM   #6
TOTIN45USPCOMPACT

Thanks
Old November 9, 2004, 08:43 AM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Wilsons are nice pistols, but I find it telling that they have you pay extra for all real steel parts on a gun in the CQB's price range. If I was ranking the "big three" semicustom 1911 houses based on the guns I have experience with personally, it'd run something like 1) Ed Brown, 2) Les Baer, and 3) Wilson. Incidentally, in that price range I wouldn't overlook some of the excellent offerings from Springfield's Custom Shop, either, like the Pro or the TGO's; they give up nothing to the others.
Old November 9, 2004, 08:51 AM   #8
tonyben

If you consider GSR do your homework. They had some teething problems. Go to the sigforum. Matt Mclearn (the designer of the GSR) started a thread listening to owners about problems they have experienced. I am one of those people. It sounds like the issues have been addressed and fixed, but you may run into an earlier serial number with some descrepancies. do your homework. the GSR is EXTREMELY accurate. It is by far the most accurate pistol I have ever fired.

anyway, good luck.
Tony.
Old November 9, 2004, 01:34 PM   #9
John Forsyth

In the price range you are talking about, I would seriously consider a full custom. You will have to wait longer for it, but you will have the one and only.

Go here, http://www.louderthanwords.us/ , and look at what these smiths produce. I have a full custom by John Harrison, and I paid less for it than either a Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, and I think I have a better gun.