The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old June 12, 2006, 07:02 PM   #1
theinvisibleheart

eBay mas5(michael a mason in Beaver Falls, PA) -1

I purchased an used leatherman on eBay from mas5 (Michael A. Mason) in Beaver Falls, PA. After I bid on the item, I noticed that the S&H was $24.99

Item number: 6635268845
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6635268845

The seller told me that the reserve price is built into S&H, and that what he did was legal. Therefore, he told me that I have no recourse.

I think the practice of building a reserve price into S&H fee, and thus, charging excessive amount for S&H is not ethical. If you walked into a store and bought an item, and was charged 5 times what is customary for S&H, most people wouldn't consider it right by standards of normal transaction.

So I end up paying $0.01 for used leatherman and pay $24.99 for S&H. What a deal!

Moral of the story: pay attention to S&H and any future purchase from Mr. Michael A. Mason (mas5) is out of question.

--John
Old June 12, 2006, 08:21 PM   #2
jlwman

Report him

I have been selling on ebay for several years now and know a few of the rules. It is against ebay policy to charge excessive shipping and handling. People do this to avoid paying fees on what they sold. He only has to pay ebay a small fee for the .01 cent sale as opposed to paying a percentage of what you may have paid....like if you had paid $25. Ya gotta watch the shipping fees. If they are too high I won't bid on stuff. Or if their feedback is lower that 98% I will not buy from them. Just my personal preferences but I have gotten burned a couple of times and that was all it took. Haven't been burned since I started watching peoples feedback a little more closely.
Old June 12, 2006, 09:08 PM   #3
hoghunting

invisible,
His shipping charges might not be ethical, but he clearly stated shipping charges in three different places in the ad. It is not his fault that you did not pay attention to the charges. I agree $25 shipping fee is extremely high, but it was definitely stated and worded. If you bid on auctions, you need to read everything in the ad.
Old June 13, 2006, 12:09 AM   #4
theinvisibleheart

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwman
I have been selling on ebay for several years now and know a few of the rules. It is against ebay policy to charge excessive shipping and handling. People do this to avoid paying fees on what they sold. He only has to pay ebay a small fee for the .01 cent sale as opposed to paying a percentage of what you may have paid....like if you had paid $25. Ya gotta watch the shipping fees. If they are too high I won't bid on stuff. Or if their feedback is lower that 98% I will not buy from them. Just my personal preferences but I have gotten burned a couple of times and that was all it took. Haven't been burned since I started watching peoples feedback a little more closely.
jlwman, thanks for the insight into how eBay works. It makes sense. Basically by having actual price shifted to S&H instead of the lowest bid price, the seller can cut down on the eBay's take. This is the first time I got burned on eBay so it was a good learning experiences. I'll take your advices. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunting
His shipping charges might not be ethical, but he clearly stated shipping charges in three different places in the ad. It is not his fault that you did not pay attention to the charges. I agree $25 shipping fee is extremely high, but it was definitely stated and worded. If you bid on auctions, you need to read everything in the ad.
hoghunting, thanks. Absolutely, it's my fault. I was just surprised because normally, people don't charge $24.99 for actual $5 S&H and have the reserve price built into it. I guess I was careless. Thank you for the good pointer.

You guys are great! Thank you. God bless you all!

--John
Old June 13, 2006, 07:51 AM   #5
RevoRick

Regardless of who's fault this was the guy is a jerk and should be reported. I would have not paid and taken the hit on bad feedback. At least I would be able to respond and let future buyers/sellers know why.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old June 13, 2006, 04:02 PM   #6
hoghunting

invisible,
You just scored high points as far as I'm concerned. I was expecting you to slam my posting, but you accepted responsibility and now you know not to make the same mistake again. That is how our actions should be, but many people would rather blame someone else for their mistakes. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
Old June 13, 2006, 06:09 PM   #7
El Barto

There are a lot of sellers on ebay that try this "trick" and I have been caught by it also. I hate it when sellers charge for their time or worse, packaging, especially when they ship in a used box.

It is best to be very skeptical of anything you buy on ebay and I always buy up to an amount I will be willing to part with.

I have bought everything from memory cards to a motorcycle and car on ebay and I can honestly say that I feel that I have "lost" about $30.
Old June 13, 2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Eghad

always check the shipping charges before you hit the bid button...

and report him for trying to rip e-bay off.

feedback is your friend.........

NRA Life Member
Old June 14, 2006, 06:41 PM   #9
theinvisibleheart

thanks, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunting
You just scored high points as far as I'm concerned. I was expecting you to slam my posting, but you accepted responsibility and now you know not to make the same mistake again. That is how our actions should be, but many people would rather blame someone else for their mistakes. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
hoghunting, thanks for the kind compliment. Acknowledging one's mistake and changing one's behavior is in my best interest, as well as being the most mature way to behave. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barto
There are a lot of sellers on ebay that try this "trick" and I have been caught by it also. I hate it when sellers charge for their time or worse, packaging, especially when they ship in a used box.

It is best to be very skeptical of anything you buy on ebay and I always buy up to an amount I will be willing to part with.

I have bought everything from memory cards to a motorcycle and car on ebay and I can honestly say that I feel that I have "lost" about $30.

El Barto, I agree. I won't be caught again. The seller will get a low feedback. Thank you. I think I saved way more than mere $25. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eghad
always check the shipping charges before you hit the bid button...

and report him for trying to rip e-bay off.

feedback is your friend.........
Eghad, I will do so and I will report him. Thanks.

One of the reason why we are so materially wealthy in United States is because for the most part, most sellers are ethical and honest. Good sellers get rewarded and poor ones get punished. That is the way it should work. Thank you.

--John