The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 26, 2011, 09:33 AM   #151
Sevens

Awww, come on Hammer It, where a picture of the now finally mounted Bobcat?! If you've ever posted the final results, I've yet to see that picture, though I've read of your exploits of it many times.

I also saw where you had contacted Roy Huntington of American Handgunner -- did he ever get around to recognizing your triumph with the .327 Federal Mag anywhere in his magazine?
Old April 26, 2011, 10:17 AM   #152
Glenn E. Meyer

After reading this thread - when my wife and I went out this weekend for dinner, I decided to put my 632 on my belt, loaded with 327s and to be tactical, put my 432 in my pocket. Put two speed loads of 32 HR mag in my sport jacket pockets.

Felt prepared for most. Biggest challenge was the fancy dinner bill.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:42 AM   #153
Hammer It

Quote:
Awww, come on Hammer It, where a picture of the now finally mounted Bobcat?! If you've ever posted the final results, I've yet to see that picture, though I've read of your exploits of it many times.

I also saw where you had contacted Roy Huntington of American Handgunner -- did he ever get around to recognizing your triumph with the .327 Federal Mag anywhere in his magazine?
I did get word back from Roy Hunington. His comment was rather unique neat story about the harvest of a lareg Bobcat with a Bowen Modified revolver chamberted in Federal .327 Magnum caliber, but his room for such a story or the reader's interest may not br peaked in it. The following month I saw his Feature story was on some Grandma that was a security guard at a local Bank that packed with her a Colt 1911. That was the last "American Handgunner Ragazine" I Purchased or read any of his articles after that... Glenn, I still pack my S&W Model 431 daily in my Travels loaded with hand loads for the .32 H&R Magnum caliber. It is a comfortable carry being an Air-Weight weighing just Twelve Ounces Empty and like all .32's is deadly accurate. Hammer It

Old April 27, 2011, 06:49 AM   #154
Sevens

Hey! Move the trophy just a bit and it'll make that minivan in the driveway look like a Jaguar!

Very cool trophy.
Old April 27, 2011, 07:20 AM   #155
Hammer It

Quote:
Hey! Move the trophy just a bit and it'll make that minivan in the driveway look like a Jaguar!

Very cool trophy.

Hello Sevens
I appreciate the Kind words. The Mount is held in Place with Two 3/8" cold roll steel rods that run all the way down the cat's back Leg's where his Femur bones used to be to the base of the Mount. It can be raised or lowered with these Rod's as they are threaded. I plan on adding a Large Fox squirrel to his Paw's once I find the donor this fall to Harvest it will make the mount complete. Our Fox squirrel's range in weight from 4-9 Pounds and the larger ones are the size of a small house cat. They are tough to kill due to their size, and will indeed attack the hunter if provoked coming down the tree to bit you ! I recently purchased a Nice Vintage Remington Target Master Model 510-X rifle that has a Vintage Redfield Cub 4-X scope mounted on it to perform the task of taking a Large Fox squirrel this fall... I will Post Pictures of my Cat with the Fox squirrel mounted between it's paws when I have completed the mount... Hammer It
Old April 27, 2011, 09:18 AM   #156
Glenn E. Meyer

Hammer - I agree. I find the 432 a very easy pocket carry gun. Light weight - 6 rounds.

I got it when SW were discontinuing them for $330 ish at the gun show. Should have bought two of them.

With floppy cargo pants or shorts, it's just right for TX heat.
Old April 27, 2011, 12:28 PM   #157
gak

Glenn E. Meyer wrote:
Hammer - I agree. I find the 432 a very easy pocket carry gun. Light weight - 6 rounds. I got it when SW were discontinuing them for $330 ish at the gun show. Should have bought two of them.With floppy cargo pants or shorts, it's just right for TX heat.

+1 Love my Airweight .32 H&R. Stoked with 100 gr Georgia Arms JHPs, it's a potent little bugger for pocket or hip carry.

I notice this thread now moving toward eight pages that there's absolutely no interest, pro or con, in the .327 or it's .32 brethren
Old April 28, 2011, 02:05 AM   #158
Wildalaska

Today I started the begging and pleading with colt for a .32 caliber cylinder.

4 inch birdshead 32-20 with an auxiliary .327 Fed cylinder. I am starting to quiver

WildohepmedeahlawdAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old April 28, 2011, 03:53 AM   #159
Hammer It

Quote:
Hammer - I agree. I find the 432 a very easy pocket carry gun. Light weight - 6 rounds.

I got it when SW were discontinuing them for $330 ish at the gun show. Should have bought two of them.

With floppy cargo pants or shorts, it's just right for TX heat

Hello Glenn
I have the Model 431. Same gun as yours as far as Being an Air-Weight but mine has an exposed hammer. I got it new in Box and traded a Vintage K-38 for it about Three years ago and never looked back. I replaced the Ugly Rubber Good-Year stocks it had with some smooth Magna's I had laying around. Here it is , Long Live the .32's.... Hammer It....

Old April 28, 2011, 06:56 AM   #160
Sevens

Since this seems to be the most current and most active ".327 Federal Love" thread, here's a handgun that I didn't actually know existed:

USFA Sparrowhawk, .327 Federal Mag.
http://www.usfirearms.com/cat/sparrow-hawk.asp

It's a single action hogleg with a 7.5" barrel and an 8-shot unfluted cylinder.
It's not cheap, with an MSRP of $1,495.

Not a bad little addition to the small collection of .327 Federal Mag hardware.
Old April 28, 2011, 12:36 PM   #161
gak

A year ago around Christmas, USFA ran a limited run of .32-20/.327 convertibles in their regular SAA-equivalent. Don't know if still available or "back," but a mouth watering proposition nonetheless. I'd like also to see it in their new(ish) Double Eagle (3-4+" barrels, modified birdshead SAA, large triggerguard) and at a price I can afford
Old April 28, 2011, 01:55 PM   #162
zfk55

I think its dumb and a waste... We already have a .357mag and .357 sig, why confuse us more with a .327 ? I really think it's pointless... I like a .357 revolver, because it can shoot BOTH .357/.38 with that being said, I do not know anything on the .327 as to balistic testings and is it more powerful than the .357?

How many directions can someone be wrong? You don't know the ballistics, but it's dumb and a waste?

1,345 FPS with 425 ME. Hows that? A smaller package, more power than a 9mm or a .38 special. I have one SP-101 Ruger and one Rossi. My wife, sister and mom all carry .327 magnums. They fire .32, .32 Long, .32 H&R and can be downloaded for target practice. Powerful enough to stop a BG in his tracks. What a waste!...... not to mention dumb?

Now I'm hard-casting for it and still pushing 1,200 FPS with no leading.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old April 28, 2011, 04:48 PM   #163
farmboy

"More power" seems to be the simplistic approach to most man toys; guns, cars, hell, even chain saws.

But the .327 has found the balance between power and style.

The argument that the .357 is more powerful than the .327 can be trumped by just saying the .44 mag is more powerful than the 357.

There is no argument for style.
Old April 30, 2011, 01:05 PM   #164
10 Beers

The 327 mag runs 1400fps with a 100gn slug, the 357 goes 1400fps with a 125gn slug, that would be more, not comparable. Many people consider the 327mag a solution in search of a problem but I say it solves two problems. One, it makes mundane guns like SP101s collectable and two it's a chicks 357.
Old April 30, 2011, 06:23 PM   #165
zfk55

Nope. Mine are 115gr. My cast are also 115's

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old April 30, 2011, 07:16 PM   #166
FrankenMauser

Quote:
The 327 mag runs 1400fps with a 100gn slug, the 357 goes 1400fps with a 125gn slug, that would be more, not comparable. Many people consider the 327mag a solution in search of a problem but I say it solves two problems. One, it makes mundane guns like SP101s collectable and two it's a chicks 357.
Where are you getting your data?
I think you're comparing unequal barrel lengths, and fudging the comparison.

On a cold day, my brother's SP101 will sling .327 Federal American Eagle 100 gr SP factory ammo at 1,500+ fps. On a warm day, it'll push it 10-15 fps faster.

Out of my 5.5" Blackhawk, that same load is doing 1,680 fps on a cold day, and in excess of 1,700 fps in the blistering heat of summer.

If you're comparing "factory ballistics", cite your sources. Most ammunition companies use an 8", or 10" barrel for their velocity claims. It sure does look good on paper.... until you look up the barrel length, and realize what a joke the claim is.

Keeping your 100 gr .327 vs 125 gr .357 comparison-
In reality, the .357 needs an 8" or longer barrel to reach the same velocities a 3" barreled .327 can produce.

For the .357 Mag, the "standard" load is 158 gr bullets of various types. The 125 gr loads are (125/158 = 0.79) 79% of the "standard" weight.
For the .327 Federal, the "standard" load is not quite settled, but arguably 100 grains. A 71 gr FMJ comes in at 71% of the "standard" weight.

I can shoot 71 gr FMJs in excess of 1,800 fps, from my 5.5" barrel. The .357 Mag requires a ten inch barrel to do the same with a 120-125 gr bullet.

If you don't like the cartridge, that's fine. You don't have to. Don't go throwing out unsupported claims, though. It just makes you look ignorant and uninformed.
Old May 1, 2011, 10:17 AM   #167
Cascade1911

I'm sure the .327 is a fine cartridge. When I look to compare pistol rounds I usually look at energy.

If my calculations are correct (and I've been known to butcher an equation once or twice) my 4" Trooper Mk III pushes .357 Winchester Super X 158 gr JHP's at 1350 fps measured at 15 ft on a 65 deg F day. Works out to 640 ft/lbs energy.

Your 5.5" firearm shoots a 71 gr projectile at 1800 fps which comes to 511 ft/lbs which is 80% the energy of the above. Your 100 gr AE round at 1700 fps comes out almost dead even at 642 ft/lbs

Playing with Federals Ammunition & Ballistics catalog I would guess that the difference in trajectory might put the .327 less than .5 inches flatter at 50 yards. (a whopping 2.5" at 100 yards)

If a nice .327 sp101 fell in my lap I'd have a set of dies and bullets on order in a heartbeat but I'm kind of partial to my .357

(now where is that "beating a dead horse" smiley....)

Last edited by Cascade1911; May 1, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 1, 2011, 01:29 PM   #168
secret_agent_man

If you can accept the weight penalty of a carbon steel M60 or SP101 chambered in 327 MAG, and live with a three inch barrel, a six shot 327 Smith or Ruger is a slam dunk over both of the steel guns for small arms personal protection, given the extra round and the ballistics. Inside, it can be loaded with 32 H&R MAG and save your hearing. The ammunition problem will solve itself eventually as the caliber does seem to be gathering some momentum with the shooting public. But the diehards linger on, utterly convinced that real men shoot zombies with full house 357 MAGS indoors with their kids in the next room past the next to the last sheetrock panel.
Old May 1, 2011, 01:50 PM   #169
Hammer It

Quote:
But the diehards linger on, utterly convinced that real men shoot zombies with full house 357 MAGS indoors with their kids in the next room past the next to the last sheetrock panel.
AMEN... Those that Knock it don't have it or have been Magnum Brain washed to think one "Need's" a .357 Or larger to get by with. To those with that Narrow mind of thinking, I say Thank's, it leaves the Factory .327 Magnum ammo on the shelf for me to Purchase...
Old May 2, 2011, 04:08 PM   #170
Dain Bramage

Quote:
But the diehards linger on, utterly convinced that real men shoot zombies with full house 357 MAGS indoors with their kids in the next room past the next to the last sheetrock panel.
Umm....327 Mag isn't really lagging in sectional density. It'll shoot through just as many layers of sheetrock.

As far as a chick's gun goes, I bought a Model 431PD for my wife. I liked it so much that I carry it much more than she does.
Old May 2, 2011, 04:23 PM   #171
NWPilgrim

From those who shoot the .327 Mag, how would you compare the recoil?

My adult daughters do not like shooting a .357 mag. They are OK with .38 specials and prefer revolvers to semiautos.

Assuming the .327" has better terminal ballistic performance than the .38 (may or may not but assume for discussion sake), is the felt recoil and muzzle blast significantly less than the .357 mag? Is it likely to make a .357 shy person more comfortable shooting the .327" Or is it too close to the .357 recoil and might as well stick with .38?

I am thinking specifically of a SP101 in .327 mag.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 2, 2011, 04:25 PM   #172
Glenn E. Meyer

I let a nice couple of newbies shoot my 632 in 327 and they baked me a load of chocolate chip cookies and apple turnovers. Baking was their hobby but they wanted to learn guns - a fair barter was arranged.

So that's dandy. The 432 went out yesterday while I was doing yard work. Easy carry.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:44 PM   #173
FrankenMauser

Recoil comparison...

Here is my opinion, from one page back:
Quote:
I agree with him, that the noise level and muzzle blast are about the same as a comparably hot .357 Mag load. And I've been experiencing .357 Mag noise/blast all my life - in anything from a 2" barrel, to a 6" barrel.

I had some of the factory .327 Federal Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, and American Eagle SPs on hand for side-by-side testing. It was .327 SP101 vs .327 Blackhawk vs .357 GP100 (4"). Hot loads in the GP100 were as punishing, or more punishing than the SP101's noise level and muzzle blast. I still don't think they were worse than a .357 Mag, but the loudest/blastiest () factory ammo was the American Eagle. (I didn't bring up the Blackhawk, because noise levels and muzzle blast are much less apparent than with the SP101.)
If you can get your hands on one for testing, try the Federal Hydra-Shok factory load. It is a "low recoil" or "reduced recoil" loading, and not as bad as the other factory loads.

....Or give .32 H&R a try.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:51 PM   #174
secret_agent_man

Ruger and ATK should have developed a load upstream from the 32 H&R MAG for two inch snubs made of all steel like the SP101 and Smith Model 60. My impression is the 327 MAG can't be shot from a two inch gun. Flash, blast, ballistic collapse, there is an undisclosed hang up somewhere.
Old May 4, 2011, 08:01 AM   #175
zfk55

No, there isn't. One of ours (the 2") chronos at 1,305fps and we made the mistake of shooting at our pistol caliber steel plate swingers from 15'. Made a mess out of one of the hanger plates. Bent it so the hinge isn't true anymore. This is one we use for .357 without denting them at all.

Recoil with the 115gr bullet from the 2" is stout for sure, but who's going to notice the flash-bang-recoil of a defensive shot? Its got the larger factory grips so it feels comfortable and completely controllable. The SP101 feels better but its quite a bit larger than the Taurus. Lots of rounds through the Taurus so far with not a single glitch.

One of the very big deals is that our girls can shoot all the rest of the .32's and even .327 downloaded for practice. We cast for it so its cheap to shoot.

Some of you guys need to borrow one from someone and shoot before you post.

Edit: I'll post a side by side photo in a while.

Last edited by zfk55; May 4, 2011 at 08:20 AM.