The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 21, 2012, 04:27 AM   #1
GustheSig

Choosing a Carry

Hey everyone. I have been looking at a gun for carry, since I will be getting my permit soon. Any suggestions? I am looking at something in the 9-.45 range. I have owned 9's in the past as well as .45s, but I don't know which is optimal for what frame. Any particular firearms you all recommend? Thanks.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:41 AM   #2
moxie

Check out the S&W M&P 9c or Shield. The Shield is a little thinner and smaller than the 9c. Both are perfect for carry. Small, light, accurate, reliable.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 21, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
10-96

Man, are you gonna get a lot of info to wade through here!

Before we start bombarding you with tons of opinions, options, and such- maybe you could help us (and you) out a bit.

What size do you realistically see yourself being the most comfortable with? If it's too big/heavy, you likely wont want to carry it that often.

What size are you? That could come into play as it could help determine how much weapon your body build can help conceal.

What size are your hands/fingers? Small hands and/or short finger could rule out a great many options. Conversely, great big burger grabbers might rule out itty-bitty firearms.

Do you think you would fancy In the Waistband Carry, or Outside the Waistband Carry? That could make a difference as far as comfort- ie; single stack or double stack clips.

What controls are you most familiar with? Decocker? SA/DA? No controls such as found on Glock? Grip safety as on 1911's and XD's?

What budget are you thinking about?

Honestly, I'm not trying to come across as a jerk, but there are many variables to consider when buying a firearm... and even more when suggesting makes and models to other folk.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:08 AM   #4
GustheSig

No no, you aren't coming across as a jerk. I am 6ft 3 inches and weigh around 275. I have medium sized hands. I have owned an xd and disliked it. I want something that can get on target quickly after firing, so possibly a heavier gun to reduce recoil. I am thinking a 9mm, but the SD kinds. I have looked at the Shield and it is nice. The xd just wasn't my cup of tea. Held up very well, but it just didn't feel right. Felt right in the store, but after a few months of shooting, it just felt off. Anyway, those are my figures and preferences. I have looked at SW, Glock, Walther, Ruger, but haven't looked at colt or cz or sig. A lot of my friends shoot their sigs and they enjoy them. I am personally more of a rifle man so I appreciate an accurate gun.
Old October 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
RBid

It's nowhere near as hard as people make it sound. There are multiple "right answers" for you.

Step 1) determine carry method.

Step 2) determine the size range within which you can comfortably and consistently carry.

Step 3) within the options that fit your size range, pick a reliable weapon that you like.

I recommend carrying the most combat capable weapon that you can carry full time.

Example:

1) I value efficient presentation, and ease of concealment without being forced to change my wardrobe to dress around my weapon. I determined that IWB is the method that works best for me as a go-to method. (Tip: wearing a 'wife beater' tank top made of thick material under your shirt is great for muting prints)

2) after experimenting a bit, I figured out that I can comfortably carry up to a Glock 19.

3) I checked out comparably sized options, and found that I really like the Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P 9c, and Glock 26 (with Pearce floor plates to allow a full grip). Among those, the Ruger felt best to me.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:50 PM   #6
CWKahrFan

For a good value option in carryable doublestacks, check out Ruger SR9c and SR40c... The two different-capacity magazine options (which both come with them) give these guns a lot of versatility.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:19 PM   #7
NO-BODY

What ever you chose get this holster and you will be happy.

http://shop.zeroconcealmentsystems.c...nes-Series.htm
Old October 21, 2012, 06:33 PM   #8
allaroundhunter

Quote:
What ever you chose get this holster and you will be happy.

http://shop.zeroconcealmentsystems.c...nes-Series.htm
That definitely seems like a downright stupid recommendation. Especially since Zero Concealment Systems says this about that exact "holster"...

Quote:
NEVER holster your handgun into the Bare Bones holster while loaded. There is a chance you could discharge your handgun on accident. We recommend you holster your handgun unloaded
There is no reason to CCW an unloaded handgun...it defeats the purpose. If you want to use that holster, just save yourself $22+s&h and carry a rock or two...
Old October 21, 2012, 07:10 PM   #9
NO-BODY

Funny you need to learn about liability and practicality. I use one, do you???????????
Old October 21, 2012, 07:23 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Funny you need to learn about liability and practicality. I use one, do you???????????
How many holster makers actually have to recommend not carrying a loaded gun?.....

Here is the lesson in liability. It is necessary to prevent a lawsuit being brought against a company due to a "defect" of the product. If I see a holster company having to use all caps and instruct buyers not to carry a loaded weapon in their holster, then it means a lot more to me than a starbucks drink that says, "Caution: Hot Contents". Why? Because a wrongful death lawsuit carries a much higher payoff than a personal injury lawsuit.

If you want to be the person that ends up with a bullet through your femoral artery, be my guest. But you or rather, your family, can't say that the company didn't warn you of the recklessness of such actions.

Here is the lesson in practicality. There is a balance between practicality and safety. I would rather er on the side of safety than that of practicality. There really isn't anything else to elaborate on in that lesson.

Again, if a "holster" company says not to carry a loaded handgun with their product, then it is not a holster worth considering, in my opinion. There are much better holster options available than the Zero Concealment Systems "Bare-Bones Holster".

Quote:
Oh, by the way all gun manufacturers say not to use reloads, yours or purchased
Actually, they don't. Here is what my M&P manual says:

Quote:
NEVER USE NON-STANDARD, RELOADED, OR "HANDLOADED" AMMUNITION WHICH HAS NOT BEEN SUBJECTED TO INTERNAL BALLISTIC PRESSURE TESTING
This waiver is to protect S&W from manufacturing practices that are out of their control. S&W still guarantees that their product will have no problems firing ammunition that meets SAAMI specifications.

The liability statement from Zero Concealment Systems is to protect them from lawsuits from a known flaw caused by their own product. It is comparing apples to oranges with the statement you made about shooting reloaded ammunition.

Last edited by allaroundhunter; October 21, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:06 PM   #11
pax

Deleted a few messages above -- some for being off topic, one for being rude.

Please make your points without insulting other people. Thanks!

pax
Old October 21, 2012, 10:30 PM   #12
GustheSig

I have looked at the 5.7, since I shoot that round often out of an AR platform. The reason I like that round is the ability to get back on target for another round after firing. Easy to point and it expands rapidly. I know a lot of folks that hate the 5.7 calling is a wussy round, but either way, a target will yield once shot 99.9% of the time. Hopefully that will never happen, but that is why I am not considering a .40 or .45 (in a light frame). Revolver in those rounds, however, are very easy to manage. But since it will be a carry weapon, it will need to be light. I agree, I do not want to be dressing around my gun. I have shot numerous 9's, including the super thin Kel Tec (name of it has escaped me). So I guess a 9 would work best for me. Just trying to find a platform. I have never shot a glock (sorry, just has never appealed to me, though I hear good things). I am really considering a S&W because of the customization factor. Also looking at Walther as well. Thanks for the input so far.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Vireye

I'm 5'8", 150 lbs, and I carry a Sig p228r concealed with no problem, OWB.

I also carry a Glock 30 IWB, again no problem...

I highly recommend the Glock 30. 10 rds of 45 ACP is VERY comforting to me. It also has some weight to it, so it doesn't feel like a "plastic gun", and the recoil is VERY manageable, IMO.

EDIT: Just missed your comment about not being a Glock fan, sorry. I still recommend at least giving the G30 a shot, otherwise I'm a big SIG Sauer fan.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #14
GustheSig

thanks for the response. I will check out that Sig for sure. I will probably check out the glock too to cover all my bases. Thanks for the input.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:12 AM   #15
10-96

Is there any way you can get some range time with your friends Sigs- either a P228, P229, or a P239? The P220, while an outstanding weapon, I think it would get a bit heavy after a while unless you become extremely enamored with it.

You mentioned the ability to get back on target quickly. That for me, is one of the biggest selling points for Sigs (hmm, CZ's too for that matter). They tend to recoil rearward more than upwards which make those followups very comforting.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:54 AM   #16
GustheSig

Yeah I can probably borrow a friends sig. I don't know much about their company or how their product is made, but my friends tell me that they are built very well.
Old October 22, 2012, 07:41 AM   #17
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Yeah I can probably borrow a friends sig. I don't know much about their company or how their product is made, but my friends tell me that they are built very well.
Your friends are telling you the truth. I love Sigs, but they aren't for everyone. Typically the major complaint is the TDA trigger (DA/SA). However, if that isn't to your liking there is also the DAK trigger (DAO).

I like the TDA trigger, but it does take some practice to make a good first shot with that 10 lb DA pull.

I currently carry either my M&P9 or Colt Commander in .38 Super. Both are good guns as well, but for your purposes I would not recommend the Colt. Whatever platform you choose to go with, I would recommend a 9mm. Ammunition is cheaper which means that you will be able to afford to practice more. Practice is the name of the game.
Old October 22, 2012, 12:01 PM   #18
loose_holster_dan

can't go wrong with a sig, as long as it isn't too heavy or wide for YOU to comfortably carry. i'm about your size (a little bigger and taller). i really like the new walthers for carry IWB.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 22, 2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Gaerek

I'm a big guy (bigger than you, OP) and I have no problems carrying a Glock 19 OWB. My style of dress lended itself very nicely to this method of carry, so YMMV. I typically wear (and did before carrying) unbuttoned, button up shirts. It's nearly impossible to see the gun on my hip. I had to learn to pick things up by bending at the knees (and not the back), and I usually reach for things high up with my left hand (gun is on right hip), but other than that, it works very well for me.

As others have said, figure out how you want to carry and what will work for you, then look for a gun that will work in that capacity.
Old October 22, 2012, 01:44 PM   #20
rodeo roy

I know that a revolver was not an option but don't take it off the table. Consider Ruger SP101 dao 2.25 barrel very easy to carry and conceal, nice shooter in .38 or .357 for me. I carry a SR40c which was mentioned earlier. easy to shoot even easier with extened mag (15rnds) or floor plate. Carrying IWB all comes down to holster. So far King Tuk works best for me with my .38 or .40 (had to get the one for S&W M&P40). I also carry with a shoulder holster when I'm in a suit. How you carry may make a big difference in what you carry, for me I have to feel like I'm wearing the gun not the other way around.

Also take a look at the Charter Arms Pitbul in 9mm or .40, I started to get the .40 over the SP
Old October 22, 2012, 05:04 PM   #21
SRH78

This is really a tough question for anyone to give a good answer to. The short answer is the closest thing to your home defense gun that you would actually carry on a daily basis.

For me, that is a full size M&P in 357 Sig. Just like my revolvers, it has no manual safety. I also greatly prefer the full size grip to a compact gun. I carry IWB at 3:00 in jeans and a t-shirt.

+1 on the undershirts. They work great for smoothing out bumps and keeping your shirt from snagging on the gun and printing. They can also be worn under the holster to keep it from rubbing against you if you carry IWB.

Get a good holster and a real belt not some pos fashion belt. The belt makes a huge difference, especially with a full size gun.
Old October 23, 2012, 09:55 AM   #22
GustheSig

Thanks for the posts everyone. I went by the gunshop yesterday to take a gander and I held a few of them. I am really considering the glock 23, but idk. The Sig still appeals to me, as does the S&W. And a revolver is still on my mind too. I shoot a lot, for fun, targets, etc... As stated, I want something that points well, can get back on target quickly, and is reliable.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:12 AM   #23
Gaerek

Quote:
Thanks for the posts everyone. I went by the gunshop yesterday to take a gander and I held a few of them. I am really considering the glock 23, but idk. The Sig still appeals to me, as does the S&W. And a revolver is still on my mind too. I shoot a lot, for fun, targets, etc... As stated, I want something that points well, can get back on target quickly, and is reliable.
Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of those brands. Is there a range near you that will allow you to rent and try out guns? That's what I did before I bought my G19. I tried out about a half dozen different guns, ran about 30 rounds through each and decided the G19 felt the best for me.

I think it's really important to decide how you want to carry as well. This book is a great reference and for someone just researching about carrying, it will give you a lot of information. That's the newest edition, I read the older one. The author gives a ton of information about different methods of carry, how to conceal using those methods, and how to draw from concealment. Some guns lend themselves to different styles of carry.

I really think it's very important to decide how you want to carry before purchasing a firearm. I had a friend who was deadset on a Glock 17 for carry purposes. I tried to tell him it'd be tough to carry, not that he couldn't, but it might not be the easiest thing to do. He, of course, didn't listen to me. It took a week of trying to carry it before he gave up, and ended up picking up a used G26 for carry. He was kinda broke at the time, so he was pretty ****** he bought 2 guns, when he should have just bought 1. I think he actually just sold the 17, and picked up a used 19 now that he carries sometimes. Anyway, just a little anecdote to help you with your decision.
Old October 23, 2012, 10:56 AM   #24
GustheSig

My friend who is a gunsmith has a range and I live on a farm, so shooting space isn't a problem. He would probably let me put a few guns through it's paces. I will also rely heavily on his input as well, but I am leaning more and more towards a glock, either in 9mm or 40. Looking at HK too, but pricy.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:49 PM   #25
GustheSig

So I have handled and shot a few of the guns on my list and I have narrowed down the selection to two brands (haven't committed to a caliber yet):

Sig Sauer

Glock

Any suggestions? I am at the point of looking at accuracy and I shoot fairly well with either. Any mechanical issues to worry about? I like the look of the Sig p226 (the one I shot) more so than the glocks, but the glock had a nice trigger. Feel like I am trading off something by picking one or the other.