The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 6, 2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Adeodatus

Ruger Mini 14 Bullpup California legal?

Hey guys. So im looking into getting a mini 14. I like the ranch style wood stock and I also like the Bullpup stock. It would make the entire rifle 26 and 1/2 inches in overall length. But im worried about the laws here in California. Would this stock violate anything?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUGER-MINI-14-MI...0#ht_778wt_905

I would like to know what yall think about it.

I got this off of http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

"A short-barreled rifle means a rifle having a barrel length of less than 16 inches or an overall length of less than 26 inches"

Like most places "short barreled weapons" need a permit
So im guessing it is legal by a half inch? Am I missing anything else important about rifle length laws in CA?

NEXT...

California has some weird thing about pistol grips for AR-15 platform rifles. Also it has banned front attachable grips.
since the mini 14 is not a ar-15 platform rifle would this stock make it considered an ar-15 platform rifle? And since the handle is in the center of the stock does this complicate its legality? btw the handle cant be detached.

ONE MORE...

Since the mini 14 here in california does not require a b.b. (i think, please correct me if im wrong) would putting it in this new stock violate something or anything that would require me to put one on the stock?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Winchester Model 43 .218 bee, Savage .22, Mossberg 17HMR, Beretta .22, S&W .357 Magnum, Ithaca 16-Gauge, Ruger Mini-14.
Old November 6, 2010, 06:21 AM   #2
MTT TL

Quote:
Would this stock violate anything?
It would violate simple common sense.

I bought that stock several years ago. It is a piece of garbage. You would be better off going to Walmart and getting a similar size toy gun and then taking the works out and dropping in your mini action because it would probably be better.

In fact I can't think of a single good thing to say about it, everything about it was wrong from the thin cheap plastic housing to the crazy unreliable trigger. I painfully worked through a single 30 round magazine and then took it off.

I would send you mine for free just to be rid of it (if it is legal in California) but I am currently deployed. If you can wait till next July however it is yours.

So far as the SBR goes, it is not an SBR so you are fine in that regard. Crazy Cali laws I don't know about.