The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
sigcurious

Lee Autodisk Pro Users: Charge Range?

I just started reloading, and am using the autodisk pro. I was working up loads with power pistol and for the first 3 settings, the max range I was getting was 0.2 gr on the test charges(weighed on a rcbs rangemaster 750). This seemed ok, however when I changed to the next hole size up, I was getting a range of .4gr when throwing test charges. Has anyone else experienced certain settings having higher range than others? Is 0.2gr range pretty nominal for the autodisk?
Old August 3, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

I don't understand the question

"Range" implies a high and a low. Are you talking about getting a variation of .2 grains (plus and minus 0.1 grain from the average) with one cavity and 0.4 grains (.2 grains above and below the average) with the next?

Please give us more information:

Which cavity are you using?
What is the average charge weight thrown?
What is the median and mean charge weight thrown?
Perhaps it would be best if you gave us a list of a dozen charges thrown.

Have you ruled out variations in your scale as the source of all or some of the variations?

Lost Sheep (truly lost here)
Old August 3, 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
sigcurious

Correct, random example: 4.7-4.9gr or 5.1-5.5gr.

The first 3 cavities I used only ranged 0.2gr, the 4th I tried was ranging 0.4gr.

My procedure was to throw 10 test charges in cavity, then load 10 rounds, then throw 3 more test charges. Repeat with next cavity size up. I stopped after throwing the 10 tests with the 4th since it was varying so much.

10 is probably a lot to test the consistency of the throw, but with this being my first run, and getting used to the equipment, I wanted to be sure.

oops forgot to add the last of the information.

I used the .40, .43, .46 and .49 holes. Throwing average charges of 4.3, 4.6. 4.9, and 5.2. (median, also the middle of the range in this case)

Last edited by sigcurious; August 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:48 PM   #4
sigcurious

Oh and I checked the zero with the test weights a few times a long the way. Everything checked out on the scale. No AC vent near to blow on it either.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
tkglazie

I dont use that powder, so I cant say if that accuracy is good or not, but for reference I do not load a charge with HP-38 or N320 that I cant hold to at or under a .1 grain spread, or 1.2 grains at the very most.My typical HP38 charge for .38 is 2.98-3.06. For 9mm, its 3.94-4.06gr n320.

Nothing great, thats just what my autodisk pro throws with a good double tap top and bottom.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use Power Pistol in the Pro Auto-Disk. I get charges that run either -0.1 to +0.2 or the other way around, don't remember without checking my notes, with most charges being right on. It is consistently in that range with any cavities I've used, charges from around 7.0gr to over 9.

A lot of the consistency is in the technique. Giving the press handle a "thump, thump, thump" on the charging stroke helps a lot.

You also can not just take sample after sample and get good throws. The powder (most any non-ball powder) needs vibration/motion to aid settling. This is yet another reason I like the Classic Turret, the powder is under constant motion.

Done right, Power Pistol meters pretty well.
Old August 3, 2012, 11:27 PM   #7
sigcurious

I'll have to work on it more. I'll give the 4th cavity I tried, another shot and see if it's more consistant with more motion on the test throws.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:32 AM   #8
sigcurious

Tried it again on the .49 cavity with some tapping, got the sample throws to a string of 5.3gr and 5.4gr. Went ahead and loaded up 10 rounds after that.

Tapping was a great suggestion, thanks guys!