The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2011, 06:35 PM   #1
flashhole

I'm on a roll ...

I traded some brass for some 22 cal bullets not long ago and was the recipient of some Midway boxed 33 grain hollow points. I threw some rounds together for my 221 Fireball using a 1.0cc Lee Dipper Cup of LilGun powder and picked a seating depth from a similar bullet out of the Lee manual. I wasn't expecting a lot and was just curious how the bullet would shoot. At 75 yards I had to walk to the target 3 times to ensure myself the bullets were going through the same hole on the target. I graduated my 13 year old daughter from the open sights rimfire to the scoped Fireball and she had a blast (no pun intended). Zero recoil from this load and her confidence in being able to shoot a centerfire rifle skyrocketed. She is still smiling.

In another trade I ended up with a box of Nosler 140 grain ballistic tips. I made a dipper cup from a 300 WSM case (first try cutting it with a mini pipe cutter) that levels out to 69.0 grains of Reloader 22. Threw 10 together at SAMMI seating depth and took them to the range with my Sauer 202. I started by shooting some of my go-to 175 grain Mag Tip loads, one ragged hole at 100 yards, this gun always shoots this load really well. The first three shots with the 140's went through the same hole! They printed an inch and a half higher but what a pleasant surprise. I took the rest home so I can try them at a longer distance once the mud dries up at the range. Next outting I'll get some pics.

I don't feel compelled to mess with either load and made up a bunch of the Fireball loads so the daughter can go to the next range session. Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good. This balances out the long arduous hours I spent trying to develop a 50-60 grain bullet load for my 223 this year. Absolutely zero success on that.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 25, 2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Jim243

Congrats on the new loads. Your right it is better be lucky than good.

Can't help you on a 50 grain load, but for 60 grains I use a Hornady 60 grain A-Max bullet with 22.8 grains of IMR-8208 XBR set to an OAL of 2.200 (due to a short throat chamber on my AR.

Works very well for me.

Hope it helps.
Jim
Old September 25, 2011, 08:27 PM   #3
flashhole

The 223 is a Kimber Longmaster Classic with a 1:9 twist. It's a one-holer with 40 grain, 63 grain and 69 grain bullets but the 45-62 grain range just ain't happening.

Are you ready for civil war?