The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 7, 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Duzell

have a mosin? post it !

i have a mosin but i like to look at other peoples, to see what theey have or havent done, these guns may look alike but they each are different, i thought it would be nice to share our mosins images, bios , whatever. have you named your rifle ? what do you like about one over the other (if multiple) , scopes you use(if you do)? ammo you use ? ect

mine currently is disassembled right now due test on speed assembly but ill post mine later tonight when i get back home.

so have at it and be proud of you rifle, whether its historic, sport, or sniper, it dosnt matter.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
kraigwy

I kept my prefectly stock, CMP GSM legal.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 7, 2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Tempest 455

I have many Mosin's (mostly all original) but this is my favorite. Seems it's either love it or hate it. My much modified Mosin shooting at 400 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffJdspVmIw
Old February 7, 2013, 09:04 PM   #4
emcon5

1943 Tula with 1943 Progress PU

Old February 7, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5
stu925

Here's mine, totally stock. I haven't even followed kraigwy's instruction for fixing the elevation issue but I like it.

Stu
Old February 8, 2013, 12:31 AM   #6
tahunua001

have a mosin? post it !

got two, they are my little secrets.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:59 AM   #7
shaunpain

I don't have a great picture of mine, but it's a 1942 Izzy, bone stock, a little rough with tool marks and a dark-ish bore but a great shooter. Not my favorite bolt action, but I have a deep love for the Mosin. I can say the same for a Makarov. They ain't much to look at, but they shoot very nicely and are worth far more than the market commands.
Old February 8, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
tobnpr

I'm currently making stocks for the Mosin-Nagant; this is the only one I own that isn't in it's original furniture:

Old February 8, 2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Erno86

My favorite Mosin {one of three}, is an authentic 1943 "Izzy" M91-30 sniper with a 3.5 PU scope. It has a beautiful dull finish, with camouflage pattern burnt saw marks in the stock, that reminds me of the same camo pattern of a tiger shark.
Sorry...but I still don't know how to post a picture of it.
The bolt's ride, works as smooth and slick, as if it's riding in melted Normandy butter.

It shoots 1 3/4" moa @ 100 yards, with corrosive N-1 Russian sniper ammo.

According to the NRA...the correct pronunciation for the Mosin Nagant, is "Moseen Nagon."

I bought the rifle at a gunshop {Duffys Gun Room in Maryland} about 6 years ago, for about $500...I figure it's worth about at least $900 now.

Last edited by Erno86; February 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Duzell

replies

@ tobnpr , love the stock , i like how you cammo-ed it out im trying to do a tiger camo on my original stock, scope looks great how'ed you mount it?

@stu925 , nice clean rifle , did you have any rust issues? mine had one under the barrel guard

@emcon5, envy D:, that looks very GOOOD, hows the accuracy on the tula?

@Tempest 455, awsome name, mosinator , i like the stock your using it looks like a normal hunting rifle now, very good work

@Erno86, nice find and i hope if you sell you get a good amount of cash back, i wanna see it now it sounds awsome

so far im loving you mosins, and what youve done with them , they all look well loved

im interested by curiosity by tahunua001 not telling us his , its a mystery!

now my mosin is odd it swaps between a normal mode and its sport mode ill post it after this

Last edited by Duzell; February 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Duzell

Black Lightning: stock to sport swapable

ok i got my mosin a few years ago, when i first shot her she shot low left, which was odd, but her accuracy was apparent at 1 inch groups at 100

i then began a project that i hoped would succeed,as she is my first i did not want to damage or alter her permanently. so i devised this swapable idea

my Black lightning goes into its regular stock easy in and out and it has a boyds stock and other goodies when i want to distance shoot as well as illuminated scope for night shooting. it takes a few minutes to swap between modes but totally reversable mosin, im also able to use the irons while i have a scope thanks to the brass stacker i have a blog of this mosin in the curos and relics section if you wanna check out its journey. i love my mosin and she seems to be very accurate on irons, im hopeing with the scope ill move my range to 300-400 like on my m1a. but she is my favorite gun and i feel lucky to have found her.

below Pics of rifle is the targets pic

SPORT Mode
scout scope

Red dot scope

70 yards with red dot
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...47756880_n.jpg
STOCK Mode

First shooting at 100-200 yrds
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...92975549_n.jpg

swapped stocks
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...21364603_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...63139542_n.jpg

Last edited by Duzell; February 8, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:13 PM   #12
emcon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzell
@emcon5, envy D:, that looks very GOOOD, hows the accuracy on the tula?
It is a solid 2 MOA rifle with Privi factory ammo, surplus stuff is a little worse. I haven't started reloading for it yet, I expect I can improve it a bit.

I did do a felt barrel wrap, but it didn't change anything. I may try moving it fore/aft a bit see if it changes anything. There are a few interesting threads on the topic here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...g-and-shimming
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...p-Illustration
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ting-quot-Book
Old February 8, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
sirdiealot

got 2 but no pics yet. first is a 91/30 with laminate stock from arsenal. looks real nice good metal and no scratches..it also shoots low left but have only had one range session with it so will start to zero it in next time out.

2 is a type 53, gun looks like it was dragged through every jungle in asia and left to rot for several yrs whe i took it out of the box. after a good cleaning and cosmo removal she aint as bad but am still going to have to do some work to wood to make her look good. at the range she is a sweet shooter. dead on at 100 yds only using surplus so happy with it. and the bolt is as smooth and slick as any and i do mean any of the modern bolts out there today. she just glides back and forth and then locks with a flick of the hand.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #14
Duzell

@emcon5 , seems like its accurate, you could try a bean bag or rifle stand and fire it that way, to tell what the rifles doing vs what you do. i tend to flich every now and then or i anticipate the recoil and that drops my shot a bit

@sirdiealot, the second sounds close to my mosins bolt, its slick and quick those are the best type to have.
as fore the wood treatmenet i had to work on an yugo sks stock to fix it ill give ya the info

1. remove cosmo and sand it down until its bare wood and does not have wood stain on it.

2. use a cloths iron to sweat the stock, this will also get it to fix any deep scratches and cuts by expanding and filling the wholes in.

3. after this is done to your expectation, do following for different ways
a) paint: just paint it, nothing more needed
b) re-stain: stain it after waiting time limit apply beeswax to seal it, after its dry apply the clear coat for shine
c)re stain without clear coat: same as above but after each shoot apply beeswax, it will shiny then absorb into wood to prevent water absorbtion
Old February 8, 2013, 03:27 PM   #15
sksfan22

my baseball bat....

Heres my paper weight,never shot it cause it has bolt issues (wont close w/ round and I got tired of messing with it). Bad pic I know,sorry bout that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0037.JPG (120.6 KB, 167 views)
Old February 8, 2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Duzell

have you tried taking it apart ^ and re cleaning it in and out? (the bolt) adding grease to key points can fix that issue also
Old February 8, 2013, 09:32 PM   #17
jake99

Here's mine. I've only shot it a couple times so far. 1953 Poland. The Brassstacker mount moved in the slotted holes, so I welded plates over them. Ordered an S&K mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bub22.jpg (201.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg bubbafied.jpg (236.3 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by jake99; February 8, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:34 PM   #18
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

It was just starting to snow so I hurried and got my 25 yard offhand practice in while I could still see the target. 12 hours later I had 10" of new snow and yesterday I got 3 more.

My 1943 M38. The flyer is on me, shot went off before I had the front sight in focus.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 8, 2013, 11:56 PM   #19
stu925

My Mosin had no rust issues. I was really surprised when I disassembled for cleaning, it was really in nice shape.

Stu
Old February 9, 2013, 12:04 AM   #20
Screwball

My Century PU sniper...

Hated the chunks of shellac that was coming off the stock (bought the rifle to shoot), so I refinished the wood. Used Minwax Golden Oak and their Wipe-On Poly.

Old February 9, 2013, 01:06 AM   #21
srtolly1

You asked for it. Natalia is a 1942 izzy, came with an ATI stock that was poorly fitted. Bedded the action, floated the barrel after shortening to 24" and recrowned, AR pistol grip, modified a scope mount (el cheapo scope) and made a bolt handle. MOA shooter if I do my part.

Old February 9, 2013, 03:28 AM   #22
sksfan22

Completely cleaned,messed with the bolt..... Trust me,It will not fire. My Mosin will not fire.... I was told I need a new bolt or something like that. Would love to fire this rifle.............
Old February 9, 2013, 09:29 AM   #23
tahunua001

that's an interesting ATI cleanup job. I like how you doglegged the bolt handle... nice rifle.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #24
srtolly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksfan22 View Post
Completely cleaned,messed with the bolt..... Trust me,It will not fire. My Mosin will not fire.... I was told I need a new bolt or something like that. Would love to fire this rifle.............
Can you post some pics with the bolt in and out of the gun? It would help us to help you, parts are easily found but it depends on what you want to do. Mime didn't work rift either and ya almost needed to small it with a 2x4 to open it. Smooth as butter now.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:36 AM   #25
sksfan22

Thanks srtrolly,I'll post some pics when I get home later today . I'd like to keep er' original. I hear these rifles make a good boom!

Tags
7.62x54r , cheap rifle , mosin , mosin nagant , russian