The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 12, 2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Keepin_Jeepin

.348 Winchester lever

Another one from Grandpa's collection. Never shot because ammo is like 80 dollars for a box of 20. I always end up buying something else. Cant wait to see how it shoots, looks perfectly safe, functions flawlessly.

Any idea on worth and any info on it? How long were these made? Is it a good caliber? Thanks!

Old November 12, 2012, 06:32 AM   #2
darkgael

That is a beautiful firearm. It is very probably worth quite a bit....I am not qualified to say but there are a number of them up for auction at Gunbroker.com. $2000+ is a common asking price. What do they actually sell for?
The rifle is a robust action and the .348 Win is the most powerful of the rimmed lever gun cartridges. The Model 71 is the only rifle ever chambered for it.
Produced 1936-1958.
The rifles are often rechambered for very heavy duty wildcats like the .450 and .500 Alaskan.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; November 12, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 08:53 AM   #3
taylorce1

That one is a high dollar one for sure, but with the economy.right now you would have to be real patient to get $2K for one. However, I do think it is worth every bit of that if not a little more. She is a keeper for sure, your grandpa had great taste in rifles.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:27 AM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Very nice 1936 Deluxe model 71.

Curious, is the top of the bolt milled out for the No.56 'bolt peep' sight? Probably not.
It was an extra 5 or 6 dollar option over the Winchester 22K sight your rifle has.

The super grade sling swivels still being there is nice also.

There is no denying that the Weaver side mount scope would reduce the value to the gun to a collector.
I would enjoy it for the gift of memories that it is.

80 bucks!
Pick up a set of dies, a box of Hornady 200gr.FN, and a can of 4320. 54grs gives factory velocity and you will notice when it goes off.

JT
Old November 12, 2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Scorch

I would say $1,700 max the way the market is right now, but that is a fine looking 71.

Last edited by Scorch; November 12, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old November 12, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Is it a good caliber, oh yeah. As long as you realize its no more than a 150 yard gun but anything you shoot inside that range will stay shot. I am a big fan, well used to be an even bigger fan before old age and Mr Arthur and his brother Itis showed up. Still enjoy the gun but now 4 or 5 rounds in a shooting session is plenty enough and not a box at a time like I used to. It do have a bit of a thump to it.

Save your brass and reload it, it's to nice a gun to just sit on the wall.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 12, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
musicmatty

Wow...never seen that Lever before...Thats a big game cartridge I'm sure ?? Wonder why they never kept going with that ??

I see it's still in production today...according to the link below..very nice modern take on this old classic

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...25C&mid=534192
Old November 12, 2012, 05:23 PM   #8
PetahW

Winchester did go forward with the concept - in a slightly altered form with better ballistics, in the Model 88 levergun: the .358 Winchester.

Old November 12, 2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Keepin_Jeepin

This brass is rimmed not center fire? Very interesting. Why is it only good up to about 150 yards?

Thanks for all the kind words and information. Its great to see grandpas stuff appreciated it. I love it all I just don't know what alot of it is, or anything about it.

Should I get better pictures? I feel like these are lacking.
Old November 12, 2012, 09:00 PM   #10
darkgael

Aha

Quote:
This brass is rimmed not center fire? Very interesting. Why is it only good up to about 150 yards?
The brass is rimmed but not rim fire. The .348 is most definitely a Centerfire cartridge. The limitation on its range is a function of the bullets and the shape, flat tipped, that they must have on order to be safe in the magazine of the Model 71. Flat tipped bullets have much poorer ballistics than pointed bullets. Compared on the basis of pure energy, it is the equal of the .30-06.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; November 13, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Top bullet is a 30-30 for comparison. Tapered body for ease of loading, angle of the shoulder and the long neck are not conducive to the best powder burn. I use a 250 gr SP bullet not exactly aerodynamically designed for long range accuracy.

I shoot 2" groups 1" low at 50 and around 3"-4" groups 1" high at 100 yards. I don't think I could hit anything past 150 with those buckhorn sights unless I was shooting off a sandbag from the bench but I don't shoot that gun off a bench. Tried that once and it was a boo boo. I'm sure the bullet will hurt you a long ways past 150 yards but hitting the target from offhand is my limiting factor.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 13, 2012, 02:53 AM   #12
tuck2

Years ago while mule deer hunting I asked a freind to look at his Mdl 71 rifle. While talking a mule deer buck came running out of a wooded area into an open area. I took a shot, one dead deer. The Mdl 71 was not seen much in the wide open western states so I never got one. The few that I have looked at were in the $900 to $ 1500 range but that was a few years ago.
Old November 13, 2012, 07:03 AM   #13
musicmatty

Once again...that gun is still in Production today..fine looking Rifle

Old November 13, 2012, 03:09 PM   #14
natman

The Winchester 71 is something of a contradiction. It is the epitome of the large cartridge lever gun. It was first built in 1937, when the blackpowder cartridges that are the ancestors of the 348 were already long since obsolete.

The pluses are the stock, which was designed by Townsend Whelen, gives it a handling that would be the envy of a fine shotgun. It comes up like lightning and the sights are lined up when the buttplate hits your shoulder.

It also has one of the smoothest actions of any lever ever made. A properly lubed 71 is a joy to work.

I'm not one of the "no lever action should have a scope" fanatics, but no 71 should have one. It's designed for fast work on big animals at short to medium range and there's no good way to scope one, as the mount on this one shows.

Original 71s are definitely collector's items now and a nice deluxe would go for around $2,000. This one would go for $500 or so less because of the scope mounts.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:30 PM   #15
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatty

Once again...that gun is still in Production today..fine looking Rifle

FWIW, That's not the same gun - it's a clone made in Japan by Miroku Gun Co for Winchester (and so stamped), complete with a tang safety gennie Model 71's never had.

BTW, M71 clones, w/o the tang safety, are also being currently made in Italy & marked in the US by Chiappa or Cimmeron, IIRC.