The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 27, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

CZ 452 .22 bolt action: help me choose a bipod!

I have just bought a nice CZ 452 Standard .22LR bolt action rifle.

Help me choose a bipod.

I don't know what the "QD swivel stud" is and so I don't know if the CZ452 has one. I know it holds the shoulder strap, and is what some of the bipods will use for mounting.
Do you know if it does?

I will mostly use it at the range. This may be resting on a bench or prone, but mostly bench, I should think.

I will either get a prone or bench size as they share 9" as a measurement and so I can perhaps get the bipod to serve both purposes. Is it easier to occasionally do prone shooting with a bench bipod, or bench with a prone bipod? My guess is the latter, although bench shooting will be the most frequent.

Thoughts?

I don't want to buy junk, but I don't want to (read can't) break the bank any more!!

Here is a link to the shop I am buying from.

I am already ordering a scope, rings and covers from them, so it makes sense to piggy back the postage.

Particularly if you are familiar with the CZ452 range, which would you recommend of these?

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; June 27, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Title was incomplete
Old June 27, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
10-96

I honestly know nothing of bi-pods. However, at the cost of offending a whole lot of folks, I would like to humbly suggest you fill a few cut off pant legs with sand or lead shot (14" to 16" will do). Put the bags just immediately forward of where the barrels screws into the receiver. When you put the rest/bi-pod/blocks, etc out towards the end of the stock, most factory stocks will be negatively effected which negatively effects bullet impact. And learn to shoot either the same way or slung up in the prone position.

I appologize if I've offended anyone, but I really do think bi-pods are truly meant for free-float tube type stocks and machineguns.

Edit: Yeah, a lot of bi-pods attach to the forward screw thing that the sling is attached to. You may have to get a different swivel screw- I can't remember what my 452 has up there.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.

Last edited by 10-96; June 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Thanks for the post.

I've since discovered the 452 Standard is not equipped with the QD stud. I looked for images and, sure enough, they don't resemble my front strap retainer.

This being my first rifle, I can't comment on how a bipod my affect my rifle's balance, but I think I will hold off on getting one for now: I think I may have buying fever and buying before I've identified my needs.

At least with the scope I now know what I need....