The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 17, 2000, 08:55 AM   #1
Andrewh

I have been in the worlds fast draw association for a few years now, but all I hear about is cowboy action shooting. I was just wondering if anyone else did quick draw, or had even heard of it.
Old May 17, 2000, 09:24 AM   #2
Gunslinger

I've heard of the World Fast Draw Association (WFDA) and love the idea, but must confess I am not a member. I've been a fast draw enthusiast since watching TV westerns as a kid and packin' my cap guns. I must confess to, that I have not outgrown the allure of the fast draw either. My CAS "rig" is more fast draw than traditional cowboy. (In fact upon seeing the rig a few weeks ago fal308 had to fight the temptation to roll his eyes to the ceiling. )
I still practice my fast draw and consider myself a Gunslinger. However, like yourself, I find few others that share my interest. I believe the growth/popularity of CAS is due to four things:
1) The Single Action Shooting Society.
2) The notion that CAS is traditional "old west" and fast draw is Hollywood inspired.
3) Promotion. The founder of SASS and therefore CAS is the owner of EMF. He had/has a vested interest in the growth of CAS.
4) Costuming!!! From it's inception CAS placed a tremendous amount of emphasis on costuming. That allows participants to act out their childhood fantasies and encourages the entrie family to become involved. The "art" (yes, I said art) of fast draw does not lend itself well to women and children. One wouldn't expect to see a kid, of say 12, involved in fast draw. Until the movie The Quick and the Dead (the later one with Sharon [gun grabber] Stone) women were not looked upon as fast draw artist. The Raquel Welch movie, [i]Hannie Calder notwithstanding.
However TFL does have at least a few fast draw enthusiast. Myself, obviously, and Russ here is also a fan. (Russ I'm still trying to explain to the gunsmith what you are needing for your slipgun. He is old and .)
So, Andrewh, tell us about your gun, gear and technique.
I use the afore mentioned Hollywood inspired, Buscadero rig, which I believe would fit into the "traditional" class in the WFDA for leather. A pair of (self custom built) Vaqueros with Bisley hammers. (No aluminum barrels for me though ) I have the (bad) habit of cocking the hammer with my thumb holding it to the rear, pulling and holding the trigger until I come into "line" and slipping the hammer. Ala, the slip fire. Kids don't try this at home.

------------------
Gunslinger

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old May 17, 2000, 10:16 AM   #3
Andrewh

I actually have a traditional cowboy rig. It is a full wear and ride type not a quick draw rig. I use a Ruger Vaquaro. Pretty much stock. I had a lighter hammer spring put in, a trigger job, and a stop put in it to prevent over travel. Oh and had them file down the arm to prevent it from trying to over cock. It has started to over spin the cylinders, and I will get that fixed before the next match. I am a thumber. I know they say it is slower, but I too like to play like a kid and when you were young, you only used one hand. I have really only participated in 3 or 4 contests. It only comes to round rock once a year, and I can only convince my wife to let me go once a year. (other wise I might check it out in OK.) I never changed to the aluminium barrel.(just seems wrong to make a gun incappable of shooting live ammo.)
Old May 19, 2000, 05:36 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Quick Draw shooting done with wax bullets for a reason. Cowboy Action Shooting is fine by me.
Old May 19, 2000, 09:15 AM   #5
Andrewh

Sorry, what does that mean?
I have thought about participating in both, but haven't bothered to check any deeper because I need the shot gun and rifle.
Old May 23, 2000, 09:55 AM   #6
Rusty S

I just found Gunslinger's comments, obviously he's still trying ( to help )on my rig, though I wouldn't put it past him to try it out.

( What's that opening line line in the Steve Martin movie Roxanne about "... I said I'd bring it back, I've only had the raquet a year-and-a-half" - jest tzn, 'slinger, spent too much time in weird company while I was on the rez for five years. Oddly enough, the indins there seemed normal enuff to start with and got more weirder as they spent more time with me. Nah, that coulndn'ta had nothin to do with it.)