The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 01:00 PM   #1
CurlyQ.Howard

Determining Trigger Pull Weight (device free)

Cocking the hammer on an empty autoloader with my right thumb, and having my left index finger inserted through the trigger guard, I released the pistol with my right hand and let gravity turn it upside down counterclockwise until it was at rest on my left index finger. Then I placed my right index finger on the pistol frame (near the magazine base) and gently rotated the pistol clockwise until the trigger snapped/hammer dropped (about 90 degrees so the pistol's weight was directly on the trigger - at this point, the barrel was pointing directly to the floor and the hammer to the ceiling). So, can I assume that the maximum single action trigger pull weight is the weight of the unloaded pistol? Thanks. By the way, this happens every time I try it - SA only, naturally.

Last edited by CurlyQ.Howard; February 9, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:28 PM   #2
polyphemus

" So, can I assume that the maximum single action trigger pull weight is the weight of the unloaded pistol?"
The best assumption you could make then,is that the weight of the pistol applied to your finger,triggers the hammer.
Old February 9, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
CurlyQ.Howard

Thanks!
Old February 9, 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Dave P

You could hang a plastic cup from the trigger, with some wire.

Add bullets (or other known weight) to the cup, until it trips.

For a rifle, a milk jug and water works ok. Kinda. Sometimes.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Yung.gunr

I picked up an inexpensive luggage scale at Ross (if you are familiar they have some good finds sometimes, manly stuff too) it works great to check pull weight. Think like to weigh fish, hang the bag from the hook. Probably not as good as the dedicated top o the line ones. But, I mainly use it when working on triggers. It gives me an idea of progress made and when to stop. Only like $6, and when/if I travel by plane I have a scale to check my bags so I don't get charged for being overwieght (my bags that is).
Old February 9, 2013, 08:47 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
So, can I assume ...
That would mean you have a very light trigger or a very heavy gun, IMHO. Typical SA weight is usually around 4 to 6 lbs. The majority of pistols weigh at least a pound and not many exceed three. What gun were you testing?
Old February 9, 2013, 10:56 PM   #7
springer99

If you don't have a good trigger gauge, try using a bent coat hanger and fishing sinkers with known weights. That should get you pretty close.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:22 PM   #8
CurlyQ.Howard

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow (1080 grams) and minus the 19 round magazine its weight is app. 35.5 at which point the trigger still trips the hammer.

Last edited by CurlyQ.Howard; February 10, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:24 PM   #9
a7mmnut

....or a bow scale with reference bar pulled VERY slowly.

-7-