The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 26, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
GASCHECK

Old Browning A5

Shooters:

I have this old Browning A5, so old it has the safety in the trigger guard. I recall a passing reference to Brownings this old, some caution, but forgot what it is. Can someone remember for an old fart like me?
Thanks. Gascheck
Old April 3, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
velobard

I recently picked up an old A5 and I've been reading up on them the last few days. I'm not sure exactly what you might be referring to, but I found some useful info on this page.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5_running.htm
Old April 3, 2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Jeff Mulliken

The safety in the font of the trigger guard was standard on the Auto-5 from 1909 till midway through 1951.

There are only a couple of things to be cautious about with A5's.

1) if it is a 16 ga made before WW2 it will have a short chamber and will not cycle 2 3/4" shells without substantial modifications

2) dont shoot steel out of Belgian made Auto-5's

3) Make sure the mag cap is snug and the forend is properly seatd into the appropirate slots in the receiver or you stand a decent chance of cracking the forend when you shoot it.

4) learn how to set the friction rings for light or heavy loads.

For lots of deep info on Auto-5's visit the Browning forum on shotgun world.com

The Auto-5 was in continuous production from 1903 to 1999...what other shotgun can make that claim?

Jeff
Old April 3, 2008, 10:59 PM   #4
velobard

My A5 is a bit of a beater, but I got it for a fair price and I do enjoy shooting it. It is from 1956, but has a later Japanese barrel so I suppose I could probably shoot steel if I wanted, but I don't ever anticipate the need.

The forend looks more recent than the stock so I suspect it was cracked, perhaps in the manner you mentioned. I suspect that because the mag cap is on so tight that I haven't been able to get it off yet (yes I pushed the barrel back) and will pick up a small strap wrench to see if I can persuade it. It has some light teeth marks on the cap where it looks like someone's used pliers or something on it before, so I'm guessing that they had trouble with it coming loose before. I'd like to get it off to check out the innerds and probably replace the spring and bronze friction piece as recommended in the article I linked. I don't live far from Browning's Arnold plant so I hope they have that stuff in stock.
Old April 4, 2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Jeff Mulliken

The replacement of that spring and friction ring is rarely necessary. Having torn countless A5's apart I have never actually seen a friction ring that was worn out. Just make sure the parts are cleaned of any old dried up lube. IMO the "rebuild kit" is a marketing gimmick.

For parts I recommend Midwest, they have the best inventory that I have come across.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Mulliken; April 4, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old April 4, 2008, 05:37 PM   #6
GASCHECK

Yeh, they discontinued the A-5, and like a lot of Browning and Winchester guns, Mikoru (sp) will bring it back in another 10 years and charge a ransom for it.
Think the Winchester 63, the single shots, the T-Bolt and many lever actions. Bet the 94 resurfaces also!
Gascheck
Old April 5, 2008, 04:27 AM   #7
Jeff Mulliken

I dont think they will ever make them again. It is an expensive gun to make and the selling price would have to be $2k at least.

And there are already a lot more Auto-5's for sale than there are people that want to buy one.

I have a big pile of them and would not buy a new one....the older ones are way cooler than a shiny new one that smells like sushi.

Jeff