The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 8, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
Northslope Nimrod

Best value hybrid holster (crossbreed type)

I'm looking for the best hybrid holster for the money. I'm not looking for THE best since I don't want to spend too much. Less than $60 would be great. $40 would be awesome. I have many guns and I can't afford to buy $80 holsters for all of them.

Also, are there any that don't use kydex? Maybe a material that doesn't rub the finish of firearms as much?

Are there any that use leather for the whole holster yet still provides the weight dispersement that these type of holsters provide? I have a few don hume holsters that I like because I can carry several different weapons in the same holster...since they are "close enough." Belt provides enough tension to hold them in.

I'm probably looking for one for fit my Glock 19 first or perhaps my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Then I'll look for something for my Sig 938.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:24 PM   #2
JimmyR

As far as the best value, I personally like the Old Faithful stage 3 holster kits- you pay about $40, and they send you the pre-cut and pre-formed pieces and all the hardware, and you assemble it youself. I have one for my CZ-75, and love it.

Aliengear appears to be a good option, but I haven't handled them yet.

As for an all leather option, your best bet might be to browse through eBay, and see if anyone makes something you like, especially some of the smaller Mom and Pop makers.
Old May 9, 2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Madcap_Magician

No direct experience, but Alien Gear looks like the best value. $30 IIRC. Fit and finish looked good, lifetime guarantee and lifetime replacement of the holster shell if you change guns? Can't argue with that.
Old May 9, 2014, 01:15 PM   #4
ntg

Alien gear has good CS. I bought one and it had screws cross threaded and and the kydex was mis-formed in a spot such that the end of the slide wouldn't seat (looked like they bumped the end/bottom before the kydex cooled. I call them, and they quickly said "send it back and well send you another", but I decided for a refund because of their design. They way it bolts the kydex to the leather makes the kydex much wider than the gun and it wouldn't bend much where I needed it to (I like carrying about 3:30). But they were great to deal with and gave me a refund with no issues.

I now use a kholster for that gun and I'm happy with it and it will fit your bill.
Old May 17, 2014, 10:00 PM   #5
blackamos

I have an Alien gear holster for my Ruger LCR and have been very happy with it. I also have a White Hat holster for my XDS and like it also.
Old May 20, 2014, 01:26 PM   #6
biohazard313

aliengear is best imho. foxx is also a good company to look into. my AG with shipping was $36 and change. cant beat it and i forget i have it on most of the time. i wear at work empty since they are not CC friendly. i keep in a safe in my car but keep my AG on and i forget its there most times. lol
Old May 21, 2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Wishoot

I have a FoxX hybrid on the way.
Old May 23, 2014, 03:19 PM   #8
biohazard313

i like my foxx as well, and its a local company here in SE michigan. next day shipping once it shipped lol. had to only go about 15 miles to my house