The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 03:31 PM   #26
Skans

946,302 rounds.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
946,302 rounds.
Now that is getting close to serious numbers.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 8, 2013, 11:44 PM   #28
Justice06RR

About 364,000.

Thats approx 200rds/week for 35years (if my math is correct). Realistically I cannot afford that much ammo with the calibers I shoot, unless I rearrange my finances somehow. My alternative now is to start reloading very soon.
Old May 9, 2013, 06:34 PM   #29
SauerGrapes

Shoot while you can my friends. I just found out a few weeks ago, 2 of my shooting buddies probably won't make Labor Day.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old May 10, 2013, 03:15 AM   #30
BigTex308

Re: How Much Ammo do you anticipate shooting in the REST of your lifetime ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444 View Post
....On the other hand, some people think ahead. Especially those of us who have been through this before.
I was at a local range and fired 200 rounds of ammo. Most of the people were amazed at how reckless I was with precious ammo. One guy said, now you gotta replace it.
I just smiled and nodded.
yep. Me and the wife burned through about 500 last weekend

Ike
Old May 10, 2013, 06:24 AM   #31

Of course keep in mind that if you actually sit down and attempt to come up wiht a number, and then attempt to secure that much ammo when it is available (over time); on this board you will be called a hoarder by those who buy a box of 50 rounds, shoot it, and go home empty handed. And then post about an ammo shortage.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 10, 2013, 07:49 AM   #32
alex0535

I think it would be "lifetime supply" with 500,000 rounds in various calibers for the next 50 years. It would allow me a bit more than 800 rounds per month.

I could survive off much less and would probably realistically use less than the allotted amount, but I feel good with this number. I certainly don't shoot that much now, but I would like to in the future.

If I marry or have children the numbers will probably increase because I don't think I could marry an very anti-gun person in the first place, and I want to teach my kids firearm safety and how to shoot. A wife and kids might bump it up to a million rounds for lifetime supply.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:34 AM   #33
g.willikers

The older I get, the less I appreciate questions like this.
Now, cut it out!
It ain't funny.
Old May 11, 2013, 04:43 PM   #34
22-rimfire

I have no idea really. My shooting comes and goes in spurts. I may go a year and only shoot a couple times and the next year I may shoot weekly. Hence, no idea. I suspect I have a lifetime supply of 22LR on hand except for the match/target grade stuff. The shortage at retail does not help me want to go out and blow away a lot of ammunition either. For other calibers.... yeah, probably need 40,000 rounds to do me which will not likely happen in terms of stocking up. Shoot some, buy some... repeat. That wouldn't last long if I decided I wanted to practice tactical shooting. But I count my pennies pretty closely and I don't see a cost-benefit to that kind of practice as it is mostly for fun.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:41 PM   #35
cornbush

As far as 22 Rimfire goes........ None, I can't ammo........
Old May 13, 2013, 09:26 AM   #36
Chettt

I shoot often but very few rounds when I do. I suspect I'll shoot less as I get older so maybe 10,000 rounds for the next 30 years.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:35 AM   #37
g.willikers

While around 300 rounds (say six times with 50+ rounds each) a year doesn't sound like much, with a well focused idea of what to practice, that amount can actually go a long way.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:52 AM   #38
WIL TERRY

15,000 ROUNDS A YEAR until I am 97 years old. Sooooooooo, 30 X 15,000 is your answer.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:28 PM   #39
Ignition Override

After the CMP processes my order for 1,000 rds. of M2 Ball, my supply of centerfire ammo will be 11,000 rds. Much of this is long-term storage, especially the M2 Ball and 8mm Mauser.

To answer the OP's question, an annual estimate is approx. 3,000 rds. of centerfire (mostly 7.62x39, and a bit of 8mm M., .303) and 4,000 rds. of .22LR multiplied by active, healthy years from age 57.

The problem in west TN is the climate-too hot/humid to enjoy standing outside much from June-early Sept, and this winter/spring it was too wet much of the time.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:36 PM   #40
Cyberbach

How Much Ammo do you anticipate shooting in the REST of your lifetime ?

Hopefully.... all of it.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:32 PM   #41
myusername

Less than I shot in the first 60 years.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:59 AM   #42
stephen426

A better question is how the heck do you guys support your shooting habits??? If you calculate that the average center fire pistol round ranges from $.20 - $.50 per round, that is some serious dough.

When I first started shooting almost 20 years ago at 19 years old, I would go to the range once or twice a week and shoot close to 200 rounds per session. Back then, I was able to buy 9mm WWB for just $5 a box ($.10 per round). .40 S&W was around $12 - $14 a box and cheap .22 LR was only $2 a box. I wasn't into .45 ACP yet, but that was around $14 - $16 a box.

Due to time constraints, I probably get out to the range about every few months now. The price and scarcity of ammo is really clamping down on how much and how often I shoot. I have a decent stockpile of 9mm and .40 S&W, as well as a fair amount of .45 ACP, .22 LR, #8 birdshot in 12 GA, and some .223.

If I go every 3 months and shoot 200 rounds each time, that is 800 rounds a year. We can round up and call it 1,000 rounds each year in case I bring a friend. I'm 38 now so I hope to be shooting till I'm at least twice that. I'm guessing 40,000 - 50,000 rounds might get me through.

I have been supplementing my training with air soft and I am looking into some of the better guns that have blowback action. Draw and fire practice cannot be emphasized enough since the first person to put lead on target has the best chance of winning the gun fight. Air soft is much better for practicing shooting on the move and practicing quick draws since there is much less chance of injuring yourself or destroying anything. If you are inclined to do so, air soft also allows for force on force and clearing drills. For anyone that does not own a decent air soft, I highly recommend you buy one that is a good replica of you carry weapon.

Last edited by stephen426; May 14, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:22 AM   #43

You bring up one of the points I was hoping would be discussed:

If you do have a stockpile of ammo, and know how much ammo you have, you can regulate how much of it you use based on factual information.

You mention the cost of ammo in the past: this is another point I was hoping to make. When ammo is cheap, you pile it high and deep. Prices only continue to go up on everything. Don't be the guy that buys 50 rounds, goes out and shoots it, and returns home empty handed. I used to buy some ammo every payday. And just like a savings account, I tried to have surplus so I could build up a supply for leaner times. How much surplus you try to achieve was the question originally posted: if you actually managed to buy and save enough ammo to last for the rest of your life, then the current availability or price of ammo doesn't matter.

So how do you support your shooting habit: well, that isn't easy. But, part of the answer is that you do it just like you would build up a savings account or a retirement account. You add a little on a regular basis and eventually it adds up. Another thing for me is that I only have a couple hobbies: but, I am keenly interested in those couple hobbies. I don't have a Harley, I don't have a boat, I don't have an RV, I don't have ATVs, I don't go on expensive vacations..........my spare money goes into these couple hobbies. And, if you think about it, how much ammo could you stockpile away for the price of a Harley ? I am in no way knocking people that buy these things; that is what THEY are interested in and they are having fun. I am just pointing out that I am not into those things and thus have the money to spend on the things I am interested in (just like they did).

Last edited by 444; May 14, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:29 AM   #44
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
A better question is how the heck do you guys support your shooting habits??? If you calculate that the average center fire pistol round ranges from $.20 - $.50 per round, that is some serious dough.

Most folks who shoot a lot are loading their own ammo and not spending near 20 cents a round and certainly not remotely close to 50.
15 cents would be quite high. Shoot commercial lead and you're around 10, cast your own and you're probably at 5.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 14, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:36 AM   #45

Again, when I use the word ammo, I am also including reloading components. When you buy primers, you don't just buy what you are going to use the next time you shoot. Bullets, powder........................ You don't wait to buy more until you run out. You periodically add to your stockpile a little at a time.

You get a little extra and put it on the back of the shelf. Over time, it adds up.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:53 AM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Point being, your prices are way high. A guy that shoots 1/2 a million rounds isn't paying 50 cents a piece or even 20.

500,000 rounds at .13 each is $65,000. Pricey, yes, but a far cry from $100,000 at .20 or $250,000 at .50.

And the guy who shoots that much is more likely to be spending .08-.10, making it $40-$50,000.

Sounds like a lot, but $50k over 50 years isn't that much money. It's $83 a month.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:46 PM   #47
stephen426

Wow... What the heck have I been waiting for??? I was thinking I didn't have the time to reload so I would just buy my ammo. I am pretty good about buying ammo whenever I find it at a decent price, but my average cost for 9mm is still around $.20 a round right now.

How is the availability of bullets, powder, and primers right now? I don't think I want to deal with casting my own, even though I know I can save more money. I am also pretty concerned about the health impact from lead since I have a 3 year old and my wife is pregnant. Unless I set up a hood I definantly would not mess with it.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #48
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Availability is spotty but improving. No need to shoot lead. You can get fully plated or TMJ for a decent price. You should end up at 15 cents or less each round, handguns. Rifles will range from about 30 cents up to 90 cents each, for common cartridges, you won't hit the high end of that unless you're loading really expensive bullets like the Barnes TTSX.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 15, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 01:58 PM   #49
breakingcontact

I really don't know how you all have the time and money to shoot so much but good on you.

I'd say on the high end, I'll shoot maybe 2000 rounds a year.
Old May 14, 2013, 07:59 PM   #50
Jo6pak

Just one more magazine full................isn't it always "just one more mag"