The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2011, 03:58 AM   #1
maillemaker

What parts do I need to switch calibers on Lee Pro 1000?

I have a Lee Pro 1000, set up for .45 ACP. I also want to load 9mm.

What parts do I need to buy to change calibers quickly and easily?

I think I need an entire new shell plate carrier assembly, including primer feed and case shover, plus case feed tubes, plus a new turret plate, plus dies. It almost seems like it would be cheaper just to buy a whole new press set up in 9mm. You can buy the entire press set up for 9mm for $170.

Steve
Old February 1, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2
BDS-THR

To go from 45ACP to 9mm quickly:

1. Swap out turret with 9mm dies
2. Change Pro Auto Disk
3. Change shellplate carrier with small primer push rod and small primer feed tube (marked "S" on the side of tube
4. Change case feeder (feeder with aluminum insert in the drop hole), small slider with straight Z bar (45 uses bent Z bar)

If you don't have a separate shellplate carrier set up, you just need to change out the primer push rod/primer feed tube, change shell plate (#19) and adjust shellplate timing.
Old February 1, 2011, 05:19 PM   #3
WANT A LCR 22LR

45 ACP uses large pistol primers and 9 small.

The fastest way will be to get another shell plate carrier with all the 9 mm stuff. ( The whole die casting that bolts to the ram ) and the die holder ( The die holder changes out with a 1/8 or so turn )

It may just be better to get another $ 170 press and share the good powder feeder between the two.

( I'm using a 1000 to load 38 )