The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 16, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
JoeFaz

Thumb hole stock question

Greetings:
New guy here. I've been shooting most of my life, spent 30+ in L.E., shoot for fun at local ranges and on that rare ocassion I will do some hunting. Lately I've been shooting .22s more and more and am currently considering a target rifle and possible competitive shooting locally. I've been looking at a Savage Mark II BTV with thumb hole stock and really like the feel of it. However, I have heard that some competitions will not allow a thumb hole stock. My second choice is the Savage Mark II BV. Can someone please clear that up for me? I can't seem to get a concensus on what's allowed and what's not.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 17, 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

The answer lies in what type of competition you are interested in. The Savage is a fine gun but may not be the first choice for Smallbore Prone for instance. Look around to find what matches are available in your area. Check the rules and then see what others are using.
BTW. Buy the Savage. It's a good value. You'll find a use for it.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old February 18, 2010, 01:08 PM   #3
JoeFaz

Thanks, David. I'm really infatuated with the Savage. Heard nothing but good about them. haven't fired one yet, but I have brought them to shoulder and they feel and point great. I'm going to order one as soon as I see what Uncle Sam wants for his April 15th hand out!
Old February 18, 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
4EVERM-14

I own a Mk 1 that I use for instructional purposes. The trigger is nice right out of the box. A friend just bought the thumbhole version. Same action but in the laminated stock. Savage is making a nice product.
As for competing. Most clubs will let you shoot whatever you have even if it doesn't fit the particular rules. You may not be eligible to win a prize but it would be rare for them not to want to welcome a new shooter.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old February 18, 2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Max Power

CMP Rimfire Sporter doesn't allow thumbhole stocks. Thus, after a club I shoot at decided to start running those matches this summer I was forced to build a whole new 10/22 over the winter. Such burdens!

If you shoot Rimfire Silhouette matches, I believe they have separate classes for thumbhole and traditionally stocked rifles. I'm sure there are other factors that determine which class you shoot in also.

I would think that most local, informal matches you wouldn't have a problem.

I picked up a Savage BTVS last winter, and its a very nice rifle!