The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 28, 2009, 06:03 PM   #1
chris in va

KY adult education carry question

My friend is taking an Excel class at an Adult Education facility near Louisville. As I understand KY law, you cannot carry on K-12 school property (unless you remain in the car with it) with the exception of "institutions of postsecondary and higher education" facilities.

So I see this sign on the window...

I take it to mean concealed carry with a permit or open carry is allowed, legally speaking? Or are they just trying to misquote the law and scare a few people...

On a side note I saw a similar sign on the door of a movie theater that quoted a statute dealing with permit revocation if you refused to hand it over to the authorities. Looked all official though, to the uneducated.
Old April 28, 2009, 06:11 PM   #2
maestro pistolero

Since murder has a much higher penalty, what exactly is it they hope to discourage?
Old April 29, 2009, 04:53 AM   #3
Conan1

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Police station or sheriff's office.
2. Detention facility, prison or jail.
3. Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
4. County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
5. Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
6. General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
7. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
8. Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
9. Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
10. Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
11. Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.
Old April 29, 2009, 05:10 PM   #4
chris in va

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm frankly surprised KY has this statute. VA state law allows carry on higher education campuses, but leaves it up to them whether or not you can carry. It's a trespassing charge if you refuse to leave, and students can get expelled...but to my knowledge it's not a criminal charge.