The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
9mm

Zastava M92 AK Pistol

Anyone know anything about these? I have been seeing this locally in gun shops in my area. They arn't Draco's but are Zastava???????? Never seen or heard of them!

$619.99 - $639.99 locally.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Mrgunsngear

M92 PAP Pistol Review Video Link

Quote:
Anyone know anything about these?
I know a good bit about them Check out my review video above and let me know if you have any specific questions you need the answer to.
Old October 6, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
9mm

I watched that video already, thats cool your a member here. Anyways, how do these stack against an Draco? I havn't heard of the Zastava before. Would I do better to buy a Draco?

The parts on this are standard ak parts or what? how can I find replacements/bolt carrier etc..? Thanks
Old October 7, 2012, 06:20 AM   #4
akguy1985

The zastava's will the yugoslavian and the draco is romanian.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I watched that video already, thats cool your a member here. Anyways, how do these stack against an Draco? I havn't heard of the Zastava before. Would I do better to buy a Draco?

The parts on this are standard ak parts or what? how can I find replacements/bolt carrier etc..? Thanks
Zastava is a very highly respected AK maker; their AKs have always been built like tanks and well fitted; and this one is no exception. If you've ever heard of "Yugo" AKs they're made by Zastava but most in the US just say "Yugo" not the plant name. The same will apply if you're looking for info on "Serbian" AKs--same guns just built before and after the war.

The parts are standard AK; except the the parts I mentioned in the video (handguard, thread pattern, top cover). Bolt/bolt carrier are normal AK parts.

One other point---the M92 is not chrome lines (no 7.62 Yugo AKs were...) and the Draco is.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; October 7, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:27 AM   #6
9mm

Two last questions, what product did you use to stain the wood? the wood on these are bright yellowish and ugly, I like a glossy or dark brown like yours.

Finally, how much did the muzzle break cost? easy to install? The thing that comes with it looks like a golf ball grenade launcher... I like the muzzle break to look cool, maybe I can just take off the cap and not use it?
Old October 7, 2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Willie Sutton

And begs the obvious question, which is:

"Other than an approved BATFE Form 1, what does it take to convert one to a Short Barreled Rifle?"

Would seem like a handy boat-gun.

Willie

Old October 7, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

I posted this in the semi-forum a couple months ago...

I picked up the M92 pistol a couple weeks ago and must say I was immediately impressed with the build quality. Most AKs have very loose tolerances; not so with the M92––-this thing is tight everywhere. Almost tight to a fault. The safety was difficult to operate, the top cover was tough to remove, the gas tube was snug, and manually cycling the gun was more difficult than usual. Some of that is good; some bad. I filed around the contact points on the safety to make it easier to operate and polished the friction points (rails, hammer, bottom of the bolt carrier, ect...) of the action. Worked like a charm.

Next I'll try to answer a few of the most common questions I've got since I posted my initial thoughts on the pistol.

1. Can you remove the thread protector?
A. Yes. Cut it off with a dremel, touch up the finish, clean threads (lots of crud in there), install new brake/flash hider.

2. Speaking of brakes/flash hiders, how do I secure it and what is the thread pattern?
A. There's no detent. I have the Manticore and it's extremely tight and hasn't moved at all since I've installed it so I'm not too worried. But, should you be inclined a detent can be easily installed since the cutout is there. A couple pins and a spring and you'll be good to go should you be so inclined.

3. Are the handguards standard size?
A. No. Plenty of aftermarket replacements out there though.

4. Is the receiver 1.5mm?
A. No. 1mm.

5. How do I mount a sling adaptor?
A. That one's on you (drill and tap if you want....). I would run an Echo 93 adaptor if it was up to me, but I plan on SBRing this one so I'm not really concerned with that.

6. Can I install an underfolder?
A. This one's complicated. The letter below from BAFTE would lead you to say "no" but if you're SBRing the pistol then you become the manufacturer and it's my understanding that you can then move the serial number (see note below).

Quote:
27 CFR 478.92

Marking Requirements - Firearms

Firearms. You, as a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer of firearms, must legibly identify each firearm manufactured or imported as follows: By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured or imported on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch...
I've also seen a letter that I can't find now from BAFTE saying you can't do this, even with a Form 1 so who knows?

Now, with that info––I'd get it in writing from BAFTE before I modified the serial number but that's just me....

Moving on. Here's a quick list of pros and cons of the gun:

Pros:
-Well built. On par with high end custom AK builders
-Reliable. Only 7 mags through it (210 rounds), but 0 issues what so ever
-I like the sights. The flip up front sight offers a quick sight picture for CQB type engagements
-Comes with 2 bolt-hold-open mags. Mine look brand new. With the price of mags these days that's a nice feature
-The 7.62x39 is one of the better performing rounds out of a shortened barrel (see chrono numbers below)
-No trigger slap
-26mm thread pattern offers a few aftermarket options for flash hiders/brakes
-The finish seems pretty durable thus far
-Cold hammer forged barrel (more on this below)
-Since it's a pistol, it doesn't have to go though the 922r parts swap and comes with all original factory parts

Cons:
-Barrel is not chrome lined. This is not a big deal to me but it is to many of you. I figure if I can afford to shoot out the barrel then I can afford to replace it... When I shoot corrosive ammo, I just clean it after. Again, not a big deal to me
-It's a little too tight from the factory for my liking
-The rear trunion is not a 90 degree angle; this will require a little extra work or an adaptor when SBRing it (unless using an underfolder stock). I'm in contact with www.usmachinegun.com about creating an adaptor like the one they have for the Draco (really like that one by the way). I'll report back as the process moves forward
-The serial number really is in a bad place. Since the pistol is designed for the US market and most buyers will probably SBR it they really should have picked a different location
-The wood is dirty/greasy when it shows up at your FFL. It's a simple fix but worth noting

Here's the video review where I do some shooting, discuss the above issues in greater detail, disassemble/assemble the gun, and conduct a chronograph test with one of my favorite AK rounds––the Golden Tiger 124gr FMJ:

(video already posted above)

Summary:

This gun is currently selling between $550-650 from most online retailers. Given the fact that M92 kits were going for over $1k a year ago I expect the price to rise dramatically as word of these factory built pistols spreads. The quality of the build is on par with $1k AKs and it'll likely soon be priced accordingly. It's a great little gun and will make a very handy SBR'd rifle in due time (hopefully less than the 7 months my last stamp took....). I certainly recommend picking one up now if you're on the fence currently.

Chrono data:
Golden Tiger 124gr FMJ: 2166 fps, 1292 ft/lbs energy

For reference, the same round out of my 16'' SGL averaged––-2388 fps, 1570 ft/lbs energy

Old October 7, 2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Finally, how much did the muzzle break cost? easy to install? The thing that comes with it looks like a golf ball grenade launcher... I like the muzzle break to look cool, maybe I can just take off the cap and not use it?
I think the brake was $50 (ish). It's easy to install but like I said in the video---there is a ton, I mean ton, of hardened crud on those threads. I cleaned it several times and still couldn't get it out so I had to use a metal rod through the brake to torque it down (based on comments on the video I wasn't the only one that had this problem...).

I haven't put the detent/spring in yet but I will; I'll do a how-to video to answer those questions...

For the wood I used oak minwax stain and some steel wool.

You can take the cap off and not use it---your call but it'll work fine.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Willie Sutton

"The serial number really is in a bad place. Since the pistol is designed for the US market and most buyers will probably SBR it they really should have picked a different location"

Well... covering it up with a stock mount does not remove or deface it... it just hides it. Really, I don't see this as a show stopper. Plus when you Form 1 a SBR as the manufacturer, don't you assign it a new number and need to engrave the name of the "new manufacturer" on it anyhow? Most people re-use the old number, but... add that same old number elsewhere and leave the hidden one in place so it's not "defaced".

Good review, I'll score one as soon as I can.

Willie

Old October 7, 2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Willie Sutton

"The serial number really is in a bad place. Since the pistol is designed for the US market and most buyers will probably SBR it they really should have picked a different location"

Well... covering it up with a stock mount does not remove or deface it... it just hides it. Really, I don't see this as a show stopper. Plus when you Form 1 a SBR as the manufacturer, don't you assign it a new number and need to engrave the name of the "new manufacturer" on it anyhow? Most people re-use the old number, but... add that same old number elsewhere and leave the hidden one in place so it's not "defaced".

Good review, I'll score one as soon as I can.

Zastava, BTW, made the entire line of "Mark X Mausers" that were imported by Interarms for years. Definately a high quality builder.

Willie

Old October 7, 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
9mm

How long have these been on the market? I only see them the other day and I only found a few on other sites, not much info on the web. The videos I found on these are less than a year old. Probably going put it on layway anyways. Looks good and solid.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Mrgunsngear

About two months.

The M85s just came in a couple weeks ago.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:41 PM   #14
9mm

Are these brand new made or old supplus stock like other guns? Like their reputation? what if it breaks on me? who warranties it CAI?
Old October 7, 2012, 09:09 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

CAI warranties it for one year. I've had to use that warranty and it was a very easy experience; no hassle whatsoever and the work was well done when I got it back.

I have 2 M92's---they're brand new.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:22 PM   #16
9mm

If I had the extra $600 I would buy the second one on the shelf and SBR it $200 tax stamp. I seen the videos on SBR's on these and it looks great. How do you put the underfolder on it with the serial number in the patch where the weld would go?
Old October 7, 2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Mrgunsngear

That's the problem. That and the angle of the rear of the receiver. I'd get it in writing from BAFTE before I did that. But, luck for me I hate underfolders and will be putting a fixed stock on mine...
Old October 7, 2012, 10:41 PM   #18
9mm

You think it would be better to just get a Draco and wait on the M92? these are freshly new to the market, and are $600++ The draco's I heard are no longer being imported, no one is getting them in? and can't find many online. Most $700+
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=239683

The PSLS are now over $1100, I recall a year ago at gun shows you could find like one or two for $699-$799 and online a few places.
Old October 8, 2012, 06:58 AM   #19
Mrgunsngear

It depends what you want I suppose. If you're the kind of guy that likes Krebs Custom AKs (i.e. build quality is important to you) then the M92's more your style. If you just wand durability and function (i.e. you have a WASR and love it) then the Draco's more your style.

Since I have WASRs and Krebs guns I have both
Old October 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #20
9mm

Picked it up this morning, very solid little gun. I bought some golden peacan minwax. I almost bought the red stuff but went with the golden. Pictures later/before/after of the staining. The bottom handguard is a pain to remove. lol
Old October 8, 2012, 04:20 PM   #21
9mm

You wouldn't happen to know what sling I would need for this? (Original AK47 style sling) I can't find the ones with the hook, they all have the leather tabs.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Mrgunsngear

Where do you plan on attaching it to the rear? A lot of guys are going Echo 93s for this...

Quote:
I haven't put the detent/spring in yet but I will; I'll do a how-to video to answer those questions...
Finished the upload:

How To Video For Installing The Detent Link

Old October 8, 2012, 06:29 PM   #23
9mm

Will the break stay in place with loctite?
Old October 8, 2012, 08:27 PM   #24
9mm

-.- ........ 3 coats and looks the same[only the top looks slightly darker]. I think I bought the same woodstain as the gun! Will be buying a dark color some day when I get more money, because I am poor right now...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01401.JPG (21.7 KB, 1362 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01402.JPG (21.4 KB, 1356 views)

Last edited by 9mm; October 8, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #25
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Will the break stay in place with loctite?
Likely yes. But, I will shoot corrosive ammo if it's cheaper so I like the ability to take it on/off at will and not have to worry about heating it up.

Quote:
-.- ........ 3 coats and looks the same[only the top looks slightly darker].
It's hard to tell from the picture but did you clean the wood before staining?