The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 11, 2002, 07:45 PM   #1
JL Hunnicutt

Mossberg 500 20 ga.

I have the opportunity to buy a 95-98% 20 ga. Mossberg, with a pistol-grip, only...no stock & 18.5" bbl. It has only one action-bar and has a steel-safety. I'm not sure but I believe this is the "camper" version. I've never had a PG shotgun and was wondering about the recoil of the 20 ga. with this setup. Accuracy issues aside, I'm not a recoil-sensitive person. When did Mossberg cease production of the single, action-bar? What can I expect from this SG, if I elect to buy it. Can one expect to hit anything with this set-up? Asking price is $100.00. Is this a good price? Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
Old July 11, 2002, 08:53 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I've had decent results from a 20 ga with a PG. The recoil isn't bad, sort of like a heavy .44 Mag load. (slugs/buckshot) IMHO, the only SGs that qualify for a PG are 20s. Just remember to get it high enough to get a sight picture and you'll be fine.

Not sure on the single action bar, so will hold off for those members that do have the knowledge.
Old July 11, 2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Andrew Wyatt

well, at a hundred dollars, it's not a bad deal.

I'd put a normal solid stock on it, though.

A PG shotgun is pretty much useless for anything besides busting door hinges off.
Old July 12, 2002, 04:46 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Buy it and a full size stock, throw the PG away. Enjoy for the rest of your life, it'll outlast you.

That's probably choked Cylinder or IC. With a stock that fits you, it'll make a very nice upland shotgun.