The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 13, 2014, 07:05 PM   #26
lefteye

deleted (I had addressed the Type 99 rather than the Type 38.)
Old November 13, 2014, 08:42 PM   #27
littlephil

Ok, I have yet another question. Can someone who has a type 99 measure their extractor and post the measurements so I can compare them to mine and the ones in previous posts? No matter what I do, my extractor won't fit right. When it goes onto the collar part way, it's being pulled way down against the bolt. I saw a couple type 99 extractors on ebay that are claimed to be 4.95" long, which is what mine and emcon's are. So I'm wondering if maybe I possibly have the wrong collar or maybe extractor, though all my measurements matched emcon's. Sorry to be such a bother with all this, but the help is greatly appreciated.
Old November 13, 2014, 10:05 PM   #28
lefteye

Sorry, I can't help. I no longer have either a Type 38 or 99. A couple of them had been rebarreled by my uncle - one was a very good .22-250. I sold or traded all of them nearly 20 years ago.
Old November 13, 2014, 11:07 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, how do you like these apples? The Type 38 and Type 99 extractors appear to be identical and interchangeable. The only difference I could find is a slight manufacturing change in the Type 99 one to simplify production. And, yes, I did interchange them. The two cartridges look different, but the rim diameters are the same and the clips are the same. As you might expect, the bolt diameters are the same and the extractor collars measure the same (though again the Type 99 one is simplified, stamped rather than machined.

Jim
Old November 14, 2014, 12:58 AM   #30
littlephil

Lefteye, if I can ever get this bolt business sorted out, I hope to make a nice sporter out of this action. Jim, I'm not sure if that really makes me feel any better or not. But it is very useful info regardless. Thank you for taking the time to compare and tell us your findings. I might order another collar when I get back to work and see if that works.
Old November 15, 2014, 05:46 PM   #31
Gunplummer

The lips on the collar may be sprung, although it is starting to sound like it may be the wrong collar. There should be no gap between the lips on the collar. If there is, LIGHTLY press them together with a pliers. They should meet and touch. If the collar is sprung, you can hold the lips together and LIGHTLY heat the band on the collar with a bernz-o-matic torch. This is usually enough to reform the collar. The heat will go to the collar and not the bolt so there is no problem with damaging the bolt. The extractors are the basically the same on the 7.7 and 6.5 as stated.***** When you push the extractor on, the extractor should be on the bottom of the bolt where the is no slot on the bolt head. You then rotate the collar and extractor together until the extractor is in the slot on the bolt head. Any other way and you will indeed need a hammer. It may be as simple as that. I have done some really brain dead things my self at times.
Old November 15, 2014, 07:43 PM   #32
littlephil

Well I've got it in the right spot to put it on, but if the lips are touching each other, the collar won't turn. I'm starting to think more and more that it's the wrong collar. Good info on heating one up though. Thanks
Old December 22, 2014, 05:03 AM   #33
littlephil

Thread revival

Ok, I'm reviving this thread because I don't see any point in starting a new one. So I've been looking on the web for a few days for a new extractor collar to no avail. Numrich is out of stock and there are none to be found on ebay or gunbroker. I did, however, find some for mausers, springfields, and enfields. Does anyone know if any of these are the same as for an arisaka? Though I'm sure I've probably already got one of them on my bolt, which is why it's not going together right in the first place. Or does anyone have one from one of these three rifles that you can measure, or measure the slot in the extractor for the collar? Also I'd like to know where else to check if nothing else. Any help is welcome and appreciated.
Old December 22, 2014, 01:44 PM   #34
tangolima

It seems the collar just needs some fitting. 2 things I would consider doing.

1. Choose a socket wrench of appropriate size and wrap a piece of sand paper over it. The final diameter should slightly bigger than the inner diameter of the collar when the lips are closed. Put the collar over it and squeeze the lips close and start sanding the inner surface of the collar. Go slow and check often.

2. File away metal on the outside edges on the lips. That will make the lips smaller inside the extracor's groove. Again, go slow and check often.

I own a T38 and 2 T99s. I did my share of tinkering on them. The project was done a while ago and I sold some of the spare parts, including a stripped bolt. I may still have some parts left. Let me know if the fitting doesn't help, it should, and you are still looking for a collar.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

-TL
Old December 23, 2014, 12:15 AM   #35
littlephil

Thanks for the suggestion tango, I never thought to remove metal from the inside of the collar. I usually overlook simple things like that. I'll definitely let you know if I can't get mine to work. Hope you have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!