The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

S&W 1000 Scope Mount/Bracket?

So... I have this acquaintance, pretty much the Bubba that we're always taking about, who's got this S&W 1000 12ga auto. He's got this scope mount (I use the term loosely) on it that's a serious hack job. It's off level by enough that turning the scope to its stop has it shooting about 18" low at 40 yards.

I'm having no luck locating an ACTUAL mount for the gun... any direction?
Old September 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
PetahW

I don't believe enough S&W 1000's were made to warrant an aftermarket scope mount maker to tool up for it.

AFAIK, most adapt a mount for a similarly-shaped gun (like the Remington 1100).

I would WAG that "bubba" misaligned the scope mount base during installation, or (alternately) just slapped on a mount meant for a different shotgun, thinking it would be correct for the S&W M1000.

If the existing mount utilizes the trigger group retention crosspin holes to anchor the base, perhaps the front mount hole in the base could be redrilled higher than it is now, or the rear hole redrilled a bit lower.
(the existing hole may need to be welded or heli-arced closed in order to redrill the base)

Old September 15, 2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Pahoo

PetahW + 1

When I first read this, I immediately jumped to a saddle mount, B-Square. The CTC pin location would be the question and in the long run, you would have to do some cobbling. Weaver use to make these for the Winchesters and Remington's are well. Even if you had to drill new holes on the mounts, at least you would have existing reference holes to aid you. I'm not all that familiar with the 1000's but that receiver sure favors an 1100. ....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old September 15, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

S&W 1000 Scope Mount/Bracket?

That's for the suggestions...

I should have taken pictures of this monstrosity.

I *think* the Bubba'd mount might have belonged on an 1100 but I'm not sure. It now has 4 bolts through it, two of which used to be simple trigger pins. The other two were drilled because "it wiggled still".

I may have *sort of* fixed it. I took out the two wiggle stoppers, loosened the two through the trigger housing and levered up on the back of the mount while retightening the bolts.

Mind you, this is a gun with a bird barrel. So, after my "correction", I have it so that the scope (still at maximum Up) actually aims below the beads aim point at 65 yards.

I didn't shoot the thing but it might be correctly at that point. He can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside anyway so I don't know why it matters.
Old September 16, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Pahoo

Some folks should not tinker !!!

Quote:
I *think* the Bubba'd mount might have belonged on an 1100 but I'm not sure. It now has 4 bolts through it, two of which used to be simple trigger pins. The other two were drilled because "it wiggled still".
My gosh, he really went out of his way to bugger it up. I'm not sure I'd even know how to do that. ....

I have mounted these on 1100's, 870's and Winchester 1300's. Many models are common. To stop some of the play I tape the side of the receiver's contact areas with wide 3M tape. That gives you a more secure anchor and protects the receiver surface from potential abrasions. ....

Be Safe !!!