The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 26, 2011, 01:15 PM   #1
briandg

Possible gold dot rifle bullets?

I'd like to leave this here instead of the reloading forum.

have any of you ever thought about a gold dot type rifle bullet? The name would almost guarantee acceptance. One thought I had in mind for it would be to plate the lead core, and then skive and prepare bullet as normal, and crimp a gilding metal half jacket to the base to limit expansion. Obviously, the hjalf jacket could also be applied before plating.

I don't think they would work on extremely high velocity rounds, but would probably be perfect for low velocity rounds like 30-30 or even .308 in deer. The question is, does remington hold an exclusive patent on plated bullets in their power-lokt?

This would be a whole lot cheaper, and perform far better than a lot of premium rounds.
Old October 26, 2011, 03:27 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Speer Gold Dot = Speer Deep Curl.

Same thing, different name.
Old October 26, 2011, 03:47 PM   #3
PTS1

I have some Speer Gold Dot cartridges in .223.
Old October 26, 2011, 04:58 PM   #4
briandg

I'll be darned. I need to pay better attention.
Old October 26, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
mete

Speer also makes Gold Dot handgun bullets and Deep Curl Handgun bullets .These are two different types !! Similar design but Deep Curl is heavier construction for hunting .
Old October 26, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Daryl

Quote:
Speer also makes Gold Dot handgun bullets and Deep Curl Handgun bullets .These are two different types !! Similar design but Deep Curl is heavier construction for hunting .
The Speer website says that Deepcurl bullets were formerly known as Gold Dots. I haven't used Deepcurl yet, but intend to try them soon in my .45 Colt.

Daryl
Old October 26, 2011, 07:03 PM   #7
mete

It's a confusing website but the way I read it there are two designs . Gold Dot and Deep Curl !
Old October 26, 2011, 11:06 PM   #8
briandg

To simplify the issue completely, a gold dot is nothing but a lead slug that is elctroplated with copper until the copper is almost as heavy as a jacket. After that, you swage the thing like any other bullet. punch the hollow point, skive the jacket, fold it in on itself, etc.

Do you know why they were named gold dot? Punching the hollow point always left a tiny bit of jacket at the bottom of the cavity when they were test fired. It bothered the engineers and marketing people. someone finally realized that it was actually a good thing, because it showed that the recovered bullet had expanded perfectly. An initial liability was turned around into the central concept of the new bullets.

What makes them work isn't so much the jacket bonding process, there are dozens of bonded bullets. With the gold dot they control the hardness of the cores and thickness of the jacket, and the bullet is essentially pre-expanded and opened when the cavity is punched, then swaged back shut. Punching the slug also creates the hooks on the petals.

The design, and the process, and the bonding are all factors, but overall, it winds up with a bullet that should pop open immediately, expand only to the end of the cavity, and retain appr 100%

It really was an innovation in a bunch of ways.