The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
joemamma

Rifle sight graduations?

Okay so I bought my first gun about a month ago, a 870 express combo. I put my rifle barrel on to shoot a few rounds before I go up in the stand later this week. After a bunch of newbie mistakes, loose barrel, not knowing how to use the sights correctly, and a black and blue sholder- I ran out of ammo. So currently I am shooting about 6 inches low but holding a 3" group @ 50 yards, I know I suck.

My question is what do the graduations on the rear sight represent. My logical guess is the big ones would be feet and the small ones inches. Is this true, what do they mean? Does anybody know the geometry of the sight to the barrel so that I could mathmatically figure this out?
Old November 30, 2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I don't think the graduations on the sight mean anything, I think they're just reference marks.

Since Remington uses the same sight on shotguns, and a wide variety of rifles, in a wide variety of calibers, they couldn't regulate one sight to fit all those different guns.

In other words, the graduations are just "witness marks" so you can tell how much and what direction you've adjusted the sight.
Old November 30, 2005, 09:43 PM   #3
joemamma

Cool, Now I know. I guess next time I will have to do a little more testing and figure out how much each mark moves the placement. I am starting to think a scope would have been the way to go.