The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 26, 2015, 06:33 PM   #1
marine6680

Free float handguard... need some opinions

Ok, looking at some uppers, and there is a variety of available free float options.

The VTAC Alpha is available, and I really like the way it looks. Its an older design, and a little heavier, but the lines are clean. I don't really add much to my rifles anyway. It uses the milspec barrel nut, and can be swapped out for other rails that do the same very easily.

But, there are a couple keymod rails available.

The MI SSK series, light weight and keymod.

The Troy SDMR... it has short rails machined in up front all around, which I am not a fan of.

SO is the Alpha still viable? In my use scenario, I think it may be.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:12 PM   #2
noonesshowmonkey

Were I in the market for a rail, I would get the ALG Defense EMR v3, hands down. It uses probably the best barrel nut design outside of the Geissele rails. M-lok, continuous top rail, supremely rigid, excellent machining that one would expect from Geissele / ALG, etc. Easily the best cost :: quality ratio in the game right now.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:16 PM   #3
ohiomossyoak

I like my 12in Seekins Precision MCSR keymod..
Old July 26, 2015, 07:22 PM   #4
noonesshowmonkey

Note bene: I say what I said as a very satisfied Troy Alpha Enhanced owner.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:41 PM   #5
G.barnes

I prefer the daniel defense keymod the best. Had a MI but I don't like how if you tighten the screws more than snug the anti rotation tabs break off and the handguard distorts at the barrel nut. With the DD you'd have to break the front of the reciever for the rail to move. The mounting plate is sandwhiched between the reciever and the barrelnut and the handguard bolts to the plate with four grade eight bolts.
Old July 26, 2015, 07:51 PM   #6
marine6680

Well, these are complete uppers, so I have to get what is available.

Though I do really like that ALG rail... Very nice, it has the minimalist look I like. I prefer clean lines, without a lot of extraneous lines and angles.
Old July 26, 2015, 10:54 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

I have MI SSK tubes on two of my uppers.

That is the most comfortable free float tube I've ever had my hand wrapped around. And light!

The only real downside... It's a small tube. You need a small gas block, in order to clear the tube.

On uppers like mine with 'heavy' barrels (.458 SOCOM and .475 Tremor), that means there are very few options with 0.875" seats, aside from modifying something that's close.

There are quite a few more low profile gas blocks to work with standard (0.750") or light weight (0.625") gas block seats, though.
Old July 26, 2015, 11:05 PM   #8
smax

I'd go with ALG - I love mine. Great price, light weight, and easy to install.

Get the V1 if you want the simplest model (no top rail, but has M-LOK slots), V2 if you want just a short rail for a front sight, or V3 if you want a full top rail.
Old July 26, 2015, 11:46 PM   #9
marine6680

I decided to go with the MI upper.

I completely forgot my new 308 has the MI rail on it.

I like it well enough, not as much as my Evo rail, and other rails I have held... But it isn't bad at all. I like that it is key mod, easier to add rails as needed.
Old July 27, 2015, 02:43 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine6680
I decided to go with the MI upper.
You didn't specify if you've actually made your purchase yet, so I figured I'd add my two cents.

I have an upper with a Troy VTAC Alpha rail. It's a good rail, but it's definitely a lot heavier than some other free-float rails. The advantage is that it won't heat up as quickly, especially if you're shooting with a silencer. I've noticed that my lightweight MI rail gets a lot hotter a lot faster when I'm shooting suppressed.

Also, the Troy rail uses a proprietary mounting system, so attachments are limited to picatinny rail sections made by Troy. If you go with keymod or M-Lok, you'll have a lot more options to choose from, some of which attach directly to the rail and don't require a picatinny rail section.

As side note, I think M-Lok is vastly superior to keymod. Keymod attachments can be knocked off the rail pretty easily if the rifle is run hard, whereas M-Lok attaches much better to the rail. I think M-Lok will make keymod obsolete eventually.
Old July 27, 2015, 06:36 AM   #11
marine6680

I agree that M-lok is probably going to be the long term winner.

Keymod will be around for a little while longer, but in the end, magpul has a lot of weight to throw around behind the M-lok standard. Since most people get magpul accessories, or choose them most over other brands, it pushes rail makers in that direction.
Old July 27, 2015, 07:25 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Keymod will be around for a little while longer, but in the end, magpul has a lot of weight to throw around behind the M-lok standard. Since most people get magpul accessories, or choose them most over other brands, it pushes rail makers in that direction.
If you think you might ever use rails on the tube, buy some now and you don't have to worry about standards and availability later on.

I have three 2.1" rails and three 4.2" rails* for my pair of MI SSKs. (I don't need that many, but it's not worth explaining how I got them all.)
One of the 2.1" rails is currently attached to the right side of the ... ummm, the SOCOM(?), I think...
But it's only there because I thought I was going to build a custom brass catcher for three of my uppers, and I needed the rail section for mocking up the template(s). However... suitable brass catchers went on [deep] clearance at Midway, 90% through the planning process, so that idea got shelved.

I've simply been too lazy to remove that section of rail, since it doesn't get in my way for any reason. One of these days, it'll come off just because it doesn't need to be there. And when it does, it'll get tossed in the 'MI rail sections' bag in my "AR parts" box; until, for some ridiculous reason, I feel the need to mount a bipod to one of those uppers, or (for some other ridiculous reason) I decide to build an upper with a light and a forward grip.

*I see that MI is now only listing 3.75" rail sections, rather than the 4.2". I'm glad I bought mine when I did, because a 4.2" rail is a better fit for the bipod mount that, although unlikely, is the most probable possible use for my longer rail sections.
Old July 27, 2015, 09:19 AM   #13
marine6680

Very good idea... I planed on getting a couple extra rail sections anyway.

But my biggest take away from your post... Discounted bras catcher?!

Do tell...
Old July 29, 2015, 02:09 AM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
But my biggest take away from your post... Discounted bras catcher?!

Do tell...
Caldwell Picatinny rail brass catchers.
For $12 apiece, I couldn't pass it up. Even though their reputation is mediocre (the design has some flaws), modifications were definitely acceptable at that price.

Long gone, now.

...Much to my dismay, because I gave one to a family member and want a replacement now!
(Each of my upper receivers requires the mounting lug be mounted in a different location, so it's easiest to adjust one bag for each upper and leave it set. But I have to adjust one of the bags and swap mounting lugs between two of the uppers right now.)
Old July 29, 2015, 10:46 AM   #15
marine6680

For $12 it would be great.

I built a stand alone unit to catch brass, and while it works well, it's clumsy to set up and use, so I don't bother most of the time.
Old July 30, 2015, 08:52 AM   #16
Ibmikey

As far as brass goes a tarp on the ground will catch most of it ( hot brass will melt cheap blue tarps) and practicing bending over gets the rest along with some exercise.
Back to the rail question i really like the ALG Ergonomic....the V2 is my favorite with built in pad for front sight height. The rail is slim and easy to grasp and very sturdy with their shimmed barrel nut. Second on my list of favorites is the MI Gen II SS which is also a slim yet sturdy hand guard with a full numbered rail on top.
Old July 30, 2015, 09:00 AM   #17
zukiphile

I don't have an ALG, but it looks like a good system.

I prefer carbon fiber not so much for the weight savings, but for the reduced thermal density. It's smoother, less hot and less cold.

A simple carbon fiber tube on an ALG sort of long and strong barrel nut would be ideal.

Last edited by zukiphile; July 30, 2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old July 30, 2015, 11:38 AM   #18
marine6680

Well, my BCM upper with MI SSK handguard should be at my house today. Just need to pick up a BCM lower soon.

But I think ALG will be my go to rail for any future builds.
Old August 11, 2015, 07:00 AM   #19
MR40

Line up

I have been looking at a new handguards and have a question for those of you who have installed the MI, the barrel nut has slots that the handguard slides in to, how easy was the alignment process for getting the nut in the right place?

I currently have a DH-VRS-t in 13.5 which I like, but because of it's mounting system it does move from time to time and I am using iron sights, so I am looking for a more positive fixed postion.

Those that have the MI does it stay put?

Thanks for the input in advance.
Old August 11, 2015, 09:46 AM   #20
marine6680

I have found the MI to stay put well.

I also have a Samson Evo rail that works well too.

If you have not purchased a rail yet, do check out the ALG stuff. Very solid mounting to the barrel nut.
Old August 11, 2015, 10:56 AM   #21
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR40
how easy was the alignment process for getting the nut in the right place?
It takes a little bit of trial and error, but it's not too difficult.

I do what most people do when I install a free-float rail, I make sure the top pic rail lines up perfectly with the pic rail on my upper receiver. The problem is that the MI handguard rotates slightly when you tighten the screws to finish installing the handguard, so if the top pic rails were lined up before you tighten the screws, they'll be slightly off when you're done. And because the handguard indexes against the notches on the barrel nut, there's not much wiggle room either way.

So I had to tighten and loosen my MI handguard a few times -- along with slightly rotating my barrel nut -- in order to get it to line up properly. But once I did it right, it lined up perfectly and was rock-solid. I've heard of people having issues because they over-tightened the screws, but if you follow their directions it works fine. I'm happy with my MI handguard so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR40
Those that have the MI does it stay put?
So far, so good.
Old August 11, 2015, 10:31 PM   #22
Ibmikey

Marine,, There are now three of the ALG Ergonomic hand guard, V1 requires bolt on picitinny rail sections including onee for the front sight--V2 is my favorite with a front sight pad and nice rise in the rear to meet the upper--and V3 which has a full length marked top rail. Just for future reference.
Old August 12, 2015, 08:42 AM   #23
Tucker 1371

I have the Bravo Company KMR 13 (Keymod Rail 13"). It is freakin sweet! By itself it feels like a piece of paper in your hand, it is incredibly light weight. The profile is VERY slim so you will need an upper with a low-pro gas block. With or without a forward grip it feels very natural in the hand. If you want a light weight rifle with a free floated barrel there is really no other way to go in my opinion.

The drawback is that it costs $250-300. It's worth it, but I had to save for a month to buy it.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe